Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge)

bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge)

Old Oct 22, 17, 7:45 pm
  #46  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,807
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
I can always see both sides of things in threads like this. On one hand, there aren't many other industries where the provider can significantly change the product being offered without much warning and without much recourse. On the other hand, well, that's how things are in the airline business, and we have to deal.

Viewed through the first lens, it's annoying when stuff like this happens. It makes us want to pound the table and invoke imaginary contract laws that don't exist but just seem like they should. Viewed through the second lens, I agree with the majority here that the OP got a very good deal given the limited recourse inherent to consumers in this industry.
If a FAM takes a seat that's already booked, it has naught to do with the industry.
controller1 likes this.
JDiver is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 3:47 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 7,022
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
If a FAM takes a seat that's already booked, it has naught to do with the industry.
The FAM is a red herring. The airline could have done the same thing to the same passenger for any reason it felt like (such as the made-up reasons the airlines give because they can't confirm a FAM bump), and there would have been no additional recourse.

Of course my comment is being misunderstood as I expected...yes, I realize that people agree to the CoC. Yes, I realize that FAMs are out of the airline's control (well, immediate control, I do think their lobbyists could have a say if they really wished). My point is simply that the relationship with the consumer is different in airlines than in pretty much any other industry, and people who aren't used to that mindset have difficulty accepting it.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:31 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: WAS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Posts: 1,286
Sorry this happened.

But AA did pretty good in this one:
  • You still got to fly in J
  • You got $1,000 in free travel
Sure, a refund would have been better. But there was nothing to refund, given that this was award travel. The extra six hours is a giant pain, of course, but how do you value your time? Six hours for $1,000 of free travel is basically $166 an hour. That's not as much as many on this board make, but it's a lot more than the vast majority of the US populace.

Take the money, put it towards a ticket (or two or three or four...) and enjoy your free travel, even if it is on an airline you want to walk away from. After that, you can walk away forever.
flyingmusicianlax is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:22 am
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
The extra six hours is a giant pain, of course, but how do you value your time? Six hours for $1,000 of free travel is basically $166 an hour.
It isn't 6 hours more travel though, it is 6 hours extra in Barcelona
TWA884 likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 12:40 pm
  #50  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,428
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It isn't 6 hours more travel though, it is 6 hours extra in Barcelona
We did get the extra 6 hiurs in Barcelona. Landed at 7:00am and were out on the street walking by 9:30 after dropping the luggage off. Just finished a full day of walking around in the beautiful weather, eating tapas, drinking sangria. But because JFK -BCN was so short, 6.5 hiurs, we got no sleep. Have been up for 36 hos and am exhausted.. Tomorrow should be better, then off on a cruise on Wednesday. AA's snafu was not going to spoil my vacation.
susiesan is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:27 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 7,022
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
But because JFK -BCN was so short, 6.5 hiurs, we got no sleep. Have been up for 36 hos and am exhausted..
That's the best way to do transatlantic trips IMO. The first day is a little tiring but you sleep great that night and wake up 100% acclimated. Sounds like things worked out pretty well for you!
TWA884 likes this.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:09 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
For the OP, was your arrival at your destination delayed because of the change in flight? If it was, you are owed Involuntarily Denied Boarding (IDB) Compensation, which is dictated by the Conditions of Carriage. The longer the delay, the more they owe you. The fact that it was an award ticket is irrelevant - it's based on the fare from your origin to your destination, not what you actually paid for the ticket.
djphilly is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:29 pm
  #53  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Sorry for your stressful experience. I'm worried now about flying my award ticket because I won't have the ability to reschedule (going on a cruise), nor can I handle a 14 hour flight in economy even for $500.
Of course, asking you to arrive earlier than scheduled wouldn't hurt your ability to go cruising.
869 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:01 pm
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by djphilly View Post
For the OP, was your arrival at your destination delayed because of the change in flight? If it was, you are owed Involuntarily Denied Boarding (IDB) Compensation, which is dictated by the Conditions of Carriage. The longer the delay, the more they owe you. The fact that it was an award ticket is irrelevant - it's based on the fare from your origin to your destination, not what you actually paid for the ticket.
This was in no shape an IDB situation. Further, if you read the thread you'd know she arrived 6 hours *early* to her destination. Come on.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:10 pm
  #55  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
That's the best way to do transatlantic trips IMO. The first day is a little tiring but you sleep great that night and wake up 100% acclimated. Sounds like things worked out pretty well for you!
the best way to do it imo is to fly on a daytime service
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 6:34 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
But because JFK -BCN was so short, 6.5 hiurs, we got no sleep. Have been up for 36 hos and am exhausted..
Come on, DFW-MAD is only 2h longer than JFK-BCN. While there is certainly *less* time for sleep on the latter, there's no excuse for getting *no* sleep unless you insisted on the full meal service and watched several movies.

Personally, with 3-4 hours of sleep (and preferably a shower upon arrival) I'm good to go for the day, and can then follow that up with a good night's sleep. I never have jetlag heading to Europe. (Coming back I get some, and then Asia is an altogether different story...)
ijgordon is offline  
Old Oct 23, 17, 7:38 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 1,852
Originally Posted by djphilly View Post
For the OP, was your arrival at your destination delayed because of the change in flight? If it was, you are owed Involuntarily Denied Boarding (IDB) Compensation, which is dictated by the Conditions of Carriage. The longer the delay, the more they owe you. The fact that it was an award ticket is irrelevant - it's based on the fare from your origin to your destination, not what you actually paid for the ticket.
Not even close.

Or are you suggesting she owes them for getting her to her destination 6 hours early?
kb9522 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:53 am
  #58  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,428
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Come on, DFW-MAD is only 2h longer than JFK-BCN. While there is certainly *less* time for sleep on the latter, there's no excuse for getting *no* sleep unless you insisted on the full meal service and watched several movies.

Personally, with 3-4 hours of sleep (and preferably a shower upon arrival) I'm good to go for the day, and can then follow that up with a good night's sleep. I never have jetlag heading to Europe. (Coming back I get some, and then Asia is an altogether different story...)
The original flight DFW MAD was shown as 11 hours on a 787.

​​​​​​Speaking of watching movies, I have never seen a more pathetic lineup of movies on an international flight in over 30 years of traveling. There wasn't one single movie worth watching. I had the express dinner, not very good, took a sleeping pill, and slept not very well for maybe 4 hiurs.

Had not flown to Europe in the last 6 years, most vacation award flights have been to Asia and TPAC recently.
susiesan is offline  
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:14 am
  #59  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Posts: 13,529
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
We did get the extra 6 hiurs in Barcelona. Landed at 7:00am and were out on the street walking by 9:30 after dropping the luggage off. Just finished a full day of walking around in the beautiful weather, eating tapas, drinking sangria. But because JFK -BCN was so short, 6.5 hiurs, we got no sleep. Have been up for 36 hos and am exhausted.. Tomorrow should be better, then off on a cruise on Wednesday. AA's snafu was not going to spoil my vacation.
Enjoy your cruise! I know that there is a special kind of stress involved with traveling to get to a cruise, so I can see why you were thrown by the schedule change.

Mike
mikeef is offline  
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:39 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,031
No sympathy here for OP.

Net net, being paid $1000 for: free tickets, keeping J, having to make 3 first world phone calls, and getting into one's destination early is a good deal!

But if OP is still bent, perhaps donating the $1000 vouchers to Make-a-Wish, The Wounded Warrrior project, or a similar charity, would alleviate the need to fly AA again, after the trip is completed.
Dallas49er is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: