Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Program Year 2018 Elite Status Buy back / Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd) .

Old Oct 21, 17, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2018 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (as of EOY 2017)

"Grace" for those close to completing status requirements has not been offered since AA began the buyback / renew / boost program.

In previous years, AA (and US) have offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. That offer was extended for the 2017 programme year, and the 2018 offering is be discussed here. E-mails have gone out to many members (16 Nov) with tailored offers. To see if you are eligible and to see what your offers are, go to https://elite.americanairlines.com/e...ewal/login.cfm

NOTE: Plus, your purchase price will count toward your Rolling Elite Qualifying Dollars, helping improve your upgrade priority. - AA

List of members' offers for 2018 program year to be added below. See end for 2016 offers.

List current status, EQD & EQM / EQS, $ required for buyback or boost and status offered:

GOLD PLAT PPRO EXP



To read what each status tier offers, see:

What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Executive Platinum / EP / EXP Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

For the thread discussing last year's programme, see this archived thread.

List of people's 2018 program year (1 Feb through 31 Jan) offers here. List is current up to post #147

Code:

 Status  EQM   EQD        GLD        PLT        PPR        EXP
 EXP     94k   $17,960     $1,895
 PLT     24k   $ 1,800 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 PLT     4k    $ 1,000 $ 699 $ 1,999  
 EXP     86k   $13,538    $ 1,295
 EXP    130k  $11,940    $ 345
 PLT     12k  $ 1,518 $ 699 $ 1,995  
 EXP     72k  $16,000   $ 995 
 ?(#16)  68k  $ 9,315   $ 1,345 
 EXP    108k  $11,855    $ 225
 EXP    101k  $10,340    $ 1,795
 EXP    100k  $10,000    $ 2,995
 None(#20)18k >$3,000 $ 495   
 GLD     46k  $ 4,451  $ 1,865  
 PLT     34k  $ 4,500  $ 1,299  
 ???(#25) 66k $10,500   $ 1,345 
 PLT     26k  $ 6,900  $ 1,299  
 PLT     46k  $ 4,382  $ 1,299  
 EXP     10k  $   858 $ 699 $ 1,995  
 PLT     30k  $ 2,264 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 PLT     58k  $17,000   $ 1,945 
 PLT     19k  $ 6,500 $ 500 $ 1,995  
 EXP     40k  $ 5,383  $ 1,295  
 EXP     88k  $ 8,000   $ 1,135 $ 4,155
 EXP    102k  $11,513    $ 765
 EXP     90k  $14,361    $ 1,795
 PLT     45k  $12,246  $ 695  
 GLD     19k  $ 5,011 $ 495   
 ???(#37)<80k $ 9,100    
 EXP   44.6k  $ 2,230 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 EXP     93k  $23,000    $ 1,795
 PPR     92k  $13,000    $ 1,795
 EXP   45.5k  $ 1,656  $ 1,479  
 PLT     63k  $ 6,328   $ 2,885 
 None    14k  $   964 $ 2,215   
 PLT   65.7k  $10,800   $ 1,345 
 PLT   42.4k  $ 8,639  $ 1,075  
 PLT   44.9k  $ 5,577  $ 995  
 EXP     57k  $ 4,200  $ 1,299  
 PLT   40.6k  $ 5,832  $ 995  
 PLT   40.5k  $ 5,843  $ 895  
 EXP   84.6k  $12,460    
 EXP   95.8k  $11,679    $ 1,395
 PPR     81k  $11,465    $ 735
 EXP    116k  $11,870    $ 225
 EXP   90.6k  $14,361    $ 1,798
 EXP     22k  $ 1,100 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 EXP   92.5k  $11,986    $ 1,895
 EXP     61k  $ 8,800   $ 1,745 
 PPR     97k  $20,000    $ 1,295
 EXP   ~124k  $11,296    $ 935
 EXP   94.8k  $11,543    $ 1,895
 EXP   97.4k  $14,228    $ 1,295
 PLT   73.6k  $ 8,832   $ 995 
 EXP   98.4k  $13,600    $ 1,295
 EXP   91.5k  $11,660    $ 1,895
 PLT?(#80)62.6k $ 7,707   $ 1,645 
 EXP?(#81)99.9k $16,603    $ 1,395
 PLT     21k $ 1,500 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 PPR   93.3k $19,775    $ 1,795
 PLT   26.3k $ 4,172  $ 1,479  
 PLT     17k $ 2,221 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 EXP     88k $14,500    $ 2,500
 PLT      2k $ 230  $ 1,299  
 PLT      0 $ 0 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 GLD   72.3k $10,735   $ 995 
 PLT   75.9k $ 9,854    
 EXP   69.5k $ 9,950   $ 1,645 
 EXP   41.6k $ 8,077  $ 995  
 PLT   60.2k $ 8,200   $ 1,656 
 EXP   57.4k $ 6,067  $ 265  
 EXP     57k $ 6,000   $ 1,760 
 EXP    120k $10,500    $ 1,850
 EXP?(#100) 84.8k $13,025    
 EXP   99.9k $ 9,218    $ 2,899
 PPR     85k $ 9,200    $ 2,985
 PLT    36.2k $ 7,636  $ 1,295  
 GLD    44.7k $ 5,541  $ 895  
 PLT    46.5k $12,500  $ 650  
 PLT    43.1k $10,531    
 GLD    33.4k $ 4,966  $ 1,495  
 GLD     0 $ 0 $ 699   
 PPR    79.5k $19,295    $ 3,575
 GLD    39.6k $ 7,616  $ 1,195  
 None   35.1k $ 2,180 $ 995   
 PLT    25.2k $ 3,478  $ 1,479  
 EXP    99.5k $16,323    $ 1,395
 PLT      30k $ 4,988  $ 1,295  
 GLD      11k $ 1,652 $ 699   
 PLT    45.7k $12,250  $ 695  
 GLD    18.7k $ 5,000 $ 495   
 PLT    40.3k $ 3,050  $ 1,299  
 PLT     0 $ 0   $ 1,479 
 PPR     86k $21,500    $ 2,495
 EXP   92.3k $10,400    $ 1,895
 GLD     ~9k ~$ 1,000 $ 699   
 EXP   99.4k >$14,000    $ 1,299
 EXP   95.5k $17,779    $ 1,395
 PLT     21k $ 2,200 $ 699 $ 1,299  
 EXP    115k $11,961    $ 225
 EXP     53k $15,000   $ 1,765 
 EXP   30.5k $5,714  $ 1,299  
 
Thanks to several members adding information.
Print Wikipost

Program Year 2018 Elite Status Buy back / Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd) .

Old Nov 5, 17, 12:52 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LAX, ORD, DFW, SNA
Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Do the offers get updated as you fly more?
Marginally and much later if last year is any indication from my experience.
I don't recall exact offer, but this time last year I had a ridiculous offer to boost.

Ignored it and kept getting it. Eventually it came down around Jan of following year as a last ditch attempt but was still in the category of "wasting my time / money / patience."
jadc82 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 1:47 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 91
question. do these offers evolve over time as you fly more, or is the offer static.

Let's say you hace 46k miles and enought EQDs and now get a plat offer. If you fly 10k next week, would you then get a PPro offer?
WearyTravellerMSP is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 1:55 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,271
Originally Posted by deac83
$1,300 vs. 600 miles, yes stupid. The only people stupider besides Parker would be the ones that take this offer on Nov 1st with 2 months left in the year.

And they have no data, this is the first year they've had the miles and $$ requirement.

I have more data points than they do.

FWIW I now have $15k and 100,400 miles as of today, maybe I should write them a check?

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid
I can tell you're upset and confused by this offer, but people do accept them, and AA makes a lot of money this way. You've also confused "data" with "personal anecdotes," but that's a common error among people with no analytical training.
rjw242 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:05 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: AA EXP, Starwood LP, Marriott P, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by haruspex
16603 EQD, 99888 EQM. 1395.00 to buy up. Pretty sweet deal, huh.
the nerve?!?
ChicGeekUno is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:12 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
question. do these offers evolve over time as you fly more, or is the offer static.

Let's say you hace 46k miles and enought EQDs and now get a plat offer. If you fly 10k next week, would you then get a PPro offer?
The offer changes (improves) as you accumulate EQD, EQM, and EQS.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:30 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 4,468
Aviator Cards

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this, since my focus here is on retaining elite status - although this won't help for year-end 2017.

I have the Citi AA card, although I never use it and will probably cancel it.

I had the Red Aviator card at one time, but it's been a while - I'm not sure how long. Probably at least two years, maybe longer.

Is it true that:

a) The Red Aviator card will get me 60K bonus miles on signup
b) I get 3K MQD's if I spend $25K in a calendar year
c) The Silver Aviator card is by invitation only. Anyone know how to get an invitation?
redtop43 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 3:10 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by redtop43
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this, since my focus here is on retaining elite status - although this won't help for year-end 2017.

I have the Citi AA card, although I never use it and will probably cancel it.

I had the Red Aviator card at one time, but it's been a while - I'm not sure how long. Probably at least two years, maybe longer.

Is it true that:

a) The Red Aviator card will get me 60K bonus miles on signup
b) I get 3K MQD's if I spend $25K in a calendar year
c) The Silver Aviator card is by invitation only. Anyone know how to get an invitation?
You either get an app on a flight or at the airport. I know when I wanted to sign up for it earlier this year and actually was not traveling for several weeks it was pretty frustrating.

You'll notice on a lot flights the FA will hawk the card on the PA. The app has a code that will allow you to take it and fill it out at home. If you are ok putting your SSN on a piece of paper for a FA send in they will do that as well.

There may be other ways but I think that's how they have it set up at the moment.

Oddly on the next flight I was on they didn't make any announcement and the FA I asked said 'let me see if we have any'. She produced one but it was odd given how much they are pushing the card on the plane.
deac83 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 3:20 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by rjw242
I can tell you're upset and confused by this offer, but people do accept them, and AA makes a lot of money this way. You've also confused "data" with "personal anecdotes," but that's a common error among people with no analytical training.
Well, reading comprehensions might be helpful as well.

I would be willing to bet that no one within 500 miles of qualifying are accepting a $1200+ offer in November and likely ever unless they have some sort of restriction on flying.

This thread provide a few data points, for your reference if you care to look, and those that have gotten a similar email to mine have expressed the same level of disdain and confusion why AA would think we would accept them. Feel free to produce one person that you know, even anecdotally that has accepted this type of offer. I doubt your can produce one data points much less more that that are here.

You also seem to be generallixing my personal situation with others, that may accept an offer, who are not nearly guaranteed of requalification. If you understood, from my initial post, I will accept the offer sent to Mrs. Deac83 where she has $3k and 30,000 and was offered Plat for $1,299. For her that's a great deal. She doesn't have to fly another 30,000 miles and will also retain her plat status by spending $1,700 less than the program requires.

If you want to continue to dispute that offering EXPs that are less than 1000 miles away from qualification (i.e. any round trip of any length causes requalification) to buy in for $1,200+ then I don't know what to tell you.

It's insulting to even think we'd accept that offer and all it does is show that Parker's team is out of sync with reality. Which makes it Stupid.
deac83 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 3:39 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 4,468
Originally Posted by deac83
You either get an app on a flight or at the airport. I know when I wanted to sign up for it earlier this year and actually was not traveling for several weeks it was pretty frustrating.

You'll notice on a lot flights the FA will hawk the card on the PA. The app has a code that will allow you to take it and fill it out at home. If you are ok putting your SSN on a piece of paper for a FA send in they will do that as well.

There may be other ways but I think that's how they have it set up at the moment.

Oddly on the next flight I was on they didn't make any announcement and the FA I asked said 'let me see if we have any'. She produced one but it was odd given how much they are pushing the card on the plane.
I'm 99% sure that the card your mentioning is the Citi AA card, not Barclay's.
redtop43 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 3:45 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SoCal, Southeastern CT
Programs: AAdvantage PLT (trying to find away to EXP, SPG Gold
Posts: 59
Currently Platinum

EQM: 61,481
EQS: 27
EQD: $5,451

Offer for Platinum: $695

I easily booked a LAX-PVG flight later this month that cost less, gets me the EQD that I need, allows me to have an awesome vacation, and gets me more stickers than what AA is offering. So I took that instead.

Plus I get to do a low cost mileage run that Doug P hates so much.
george 3 likes this.
AAnimeGuy is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 4:04 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Posts: 560
My quick view of this thread, is that for some reason AA is giving a much easier path on buy-up to those that are short EQD, those that are short EQM are getting what appears to be not nearly as good of offers.

That seems counter to the recent moves around qualifications, but it is interesting to note.
Dad to Rei is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 4:14 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,271
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
My quick view of this thread, is that for some reason AA is giving a much easier path on buy-up to those that are short EQD, those that are short EQM are getting what appears to be not nearly as good of offers.

That seems counter to the recent moves around qualifications, but it is interesting to note.
It makes sense if most high-value customers (i.e. those with plenty of EQD but short a few EQM) also value their time highly, and are more willing to pay $1000+ than take a day off for a mileage run.
rjw242 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:11 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 4,468
Originally Posted by rjw242
It makes sense if most high-value customers (i.e. those with plenty of EQD but short a few EQM) also value their time highly, and are more willing to pay $1000+ than take a day off for a mileage run.
Did you say "Mileage Run?" Doug Parker will be by to make you stand in the corner, you naughty boy!
redtop43 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:43 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm 99% sure that the card your mentioning is the Citi AA card, not Barclay's.
I'm 99.99% sure it's not as I have it in my wallet. Got the application on the plane.

.01% for the possibility they are marketing two different cards on the flights, but in researching the card they said new cards were obtained on the plane or at the airport.
deac83 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:51 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
My quick view of this thread, is that for some reason AA is giving a much easier path on buy-up to those that are short EQD, those that are short EQM are getting what appears to be not nearly as good of offers.

That seems counter to the recent moves around qualifications, but it is interesting to note.
This is what I'm seeing, although, as Mrs. Deac 83's situation shows it's not consistent. I was expecting for them to ask for $3,000 for her to keep her plat status.

Just this past week I booked flights DFW-SEA and SFO-DFW and each were $200 a piece. That 1,000 miles plus for 200, yet Parker's team somehow thinks EXP's would pay $1,200 to get the last 1,000 miles? The are living in an alternative reality of mileage value.
deac83 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread