Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
With a substantially higher barrier to entry, there will be fewer EXPs next year than there would have been without the barrier. But impossible for us to know whether there'll be fewer in absolute terms.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes...maybe...who knows. Everyone will still find something tom complain about even if yes.

/Continue discussion
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:21 pm

Was fun while it lasted, but this will be my last year as an EXP. "Normal" EQM was in the 75k range and I'd MR the rest to maintain EXP. But with the string of devals the past few years and in particular the cut in SWUs from 8 to 4, the cost of MRing ($ and time) no longer makes sense for me.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Deciding on a potential "miles run" to retain EXP with the purchase of a J class ticket to Asia. Figuring there will be even less now with the EQD minimum.
I don''t think there will be fewer EXPs next year - the 100K EQMs are easier to get with mixed J/Y flying than in the old days. 12K EQDs are not that hard with typical work travel flying.

I personally will not make it to EXP this year. Used to make EXP with a few Y international flights for work and a couple of J int flights for personal travel.This year decided to burn miles for J personal award travel. Dont find EXP worth it any more.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I'll be an EXP again next year.
I'm now at $15+ EQDs ($3K of which are from CC spend) and 111+K EQMs. I think my year-end totals will be around $16.5 EQDs and 121.5K EQMs, as I have 3 remaining TATL legs that I will credit to AA before switching my FF crediting to BA for the balance of the year.
I suspect that EQD number will not help me much on the few transcons and even fewer flights to PHX/LAS that I take nowadays, but am hopeful that it will help on international flights, which constitute the vast bulk of my flying nowadays. Depending on how that goes, I may or may not try to requalify next year.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by sunnikrish2
I don''t think there will be fewer EXPs next year - the 100K EQMs are easier to get with mixed J/Y flying than in the old days. 12K EQDs are not that hard with typical work travel flying.
But you could qualify in 2016 (for 2017 status) with the same EQM bonuses but without EQDs, so it seems strictly harder to qualify for next year than for this year.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
EQMs are easy to earn with so many cheap main cabin fares so no excuse, just do a EQM run or two...likely on weekends you'll get upgraded so find a novel of two and fly.
Two years ago, no problem. Not so much today but whatever. Priorities change.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Effect of EQD Requirement on 2018 Elite Populations

Just curious if anyone has insight into how the new EQD requirement for 2018 elite qualification will effect the size/number of Elite members in each class. Will there be a considerable decrease in the numbers of EXP, etc.?

For example, but for the EQD requirement, I would be qualifying as PPRO; as it is, it looks like I will only be PLAT for 2018. Apologies if this has been asked and answered in a previous post (my searches came up empty).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, United,Hilton Honors, Hyatt, JetBlue,
lowlife gold here. Due to some health issues this past year and then the hurricanes some of our trips were cancelled. We would have moved up past gold with what we had on the books and what we have left which are next month won't keep either of us at gold. Got the wonderful upgrade letter yesterday and someone is either smoking something really good or on a powerful drug to want those amounts of money. So sorry to say...for the first time in I can't remember I won't have status. Worse part is we have been upgraded over 75 percent of our flights this year...going to really miss that. Our son in law is a pilot on United...never understood our loyalty to AA but it was our loyalty to USAir. Says try United...out of Philly AA has the nonstops to where we travel the most...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Originally Posted by patagonia_fitz
Apologies if this has been asked and answered in a previous post (my searches came up empty).
The only people who can answer your post authoritatively work for AA, and, were they to release detailed information on AA's elite customer base on an Internet bulletin board and to be caught doing so, would be fired for breaching NDAs and disclosing confidential information regarding AA's elite customer base in a way that materially affects corporate earnings (releasing this information could instantly instigate shareholder lawsuits were this disclosed outside of formal investor conferences/presentations). You're not allowed to do things like this for publicly traded companies for this exact reason.

But by all means we who don't work for AA can speculate without access to authoritative information (mindlessly if we care to do so) all we want...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 3, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I thought the mos EQM you coukd get per AA account from credit card is 10k a year? How are you getting 20k?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
There is some pretty good data in the buy up offers thread. There are many people with insufficient EQDs and they are offered a buy up amount that reflects the delta between where they are with EQDs and the EQD requirement, plus a bit more. There seem to be significantly fewer people like years past who are just short on miles and looking for a buy up that is "less than cost of a MR + inconvenience of a MR"
This is only FT data and its not much, but it suggests to me there will be fewer elites across all the buckets.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Let's Speculate!

Let's say 10% EXPs didn't make it and dropped to PPT. Then 10% PPTs didn't make it and drop to PLT, and so on. So if it affects same # of people the only tier that it would be effected would be EXP. But, if more EXPs drop to PPT that PPTs drop to PLT, then it would be a negative affect on PPT.

But it's all just guesswork. Ask back in 6 months and everyone will have a personal data point to share (yes, me too). But it's still guesswork.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stephem
There is some pretty good data in the buy up offers thread. There are many people with insufficient EQDs and they are offered a buy up amount that reflects the delta between where they are with EQDs and the EQD requirement, plus a bit more.
Actually, if you look at the data in that thread, you will find that the correlation you suggest does not exist. The relationship between the EQD delta and the buy-up offer seems non-existent.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by william142
I thought the mos EQM you coukd get per AA account from credit card is 10k a year? How are you getting 20k?
10k from citi, 10k from barclay's.

You can only get 10k per bank (regardless of number of cards) per year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.