Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum (Matching to UA Gold)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Not everyone lives in New York.

West coast Y fares to the UK are solidly $1400 easy.
Attached Images  
AATinkerbell likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by javabytes
sfo-arn $548.
Lax-cdg $558.
Lax-ams $590.
Lax-mxp $563.
Lax-nce $599.
Lax-fco $577.
Lax-vce $588.
Sea-bru $482.
Sea-lux $443.
Sea-cph $464.
Sea-arn $450.
Sea-osl $537.
Sea-hel $501.
Sea-zrh $483.
well I guess I'm the sucker then. In July I bought a dfw-lhr flight in coach for travel during the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend and it was $1333.

ETA: I just checked google flights for the heck of it. My same flights/day/time are now $1397.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by george 3
I'm going to do a near term JFK LAX MR.
If one needs to do an MR there is no better one than this IMO. Length of flight, quality of equipment, frequency of service if something goes awry, and AC/FLs at both ends. And you're not over the water for hours.
george 3 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Not everyone lives in New York.

West coast Y fares to the UK are solidly $1400 easy.
Not at all - I am flying SFO-LHR in November on a $64 fare, which with surcharges and taxes ends up at less than $600 round trip.

This is the third time this year I have done SFO-LHR for that price - its a disaster for RDM and EQD earning!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I must be one of the few people who have experienced more upgrades as an EXP since the MQD has been applied. I just crossed 100k this year against a $16k spend (I book a lot of last minute long haul flights for business). Not sure the numbers of EXP have gone down but on a different subject, the lounges seem more crowded than ever.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:41 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I remember the glory days when I could hit EXP for about $3K.

In 2017 they made EXP much harder to attain (by adding the EQD requirement). Obviously this should lower the number of EXPs ... UNLESS ... they do something (like a buy-up program) in early 2018 to make EXP _easier_ to attain.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
EXP here going strong in all of 2018 lol
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I remember the glory days when I could hit EXP for about $3K.
Well, I can see why AA added EQD.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
In 2017 they made EXP much harder to attain (by adding the EQD requirement). Obviously this should lower the number of EXPs ... UNLESS ... they do something (like a buy-up program) in early 2018 to make EXP _easier_ to attain.
I will make EXP for 2018 with less segments and less Butt-In-Seat miles than last year. Partner W makes it quite easy.

YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
These threads remind me just how different this is for people like me who travel each week on consulting gigs vs. some of the rest of you out here.
I stand at $18k EQD but only 65k EQM and 84 segments. I'm at a client who is relatively close to my home base, and probably would have gotten to EXP at 100 segments, but unless something drastic happens Nov/Dec, I'll be dropping down to Platinum Pro.
Probably an outcome AA wants. Where I live, I'm going to be flying them most places anyway, no reason for them to give perks for stuff I have to do anyway. Will hurt when I am on my next gig and I am flying on something other than RJs for short hops each week.
deeruck and george 3 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
So I have been EXP for the last 12 years except for 2 slow years of travel that bumped me back to PLT. Being based in STL and fly domestically none of my flights generate a lot of miles but lots of segments... needless to say this year has posed some challenges on getting back to EXP. I actually find myself booking first class tickets domestically in the 400.00 to 600.00 range... I will hit mid December with just over 100EQM and 12k EQD to requalify . I foresee some drop off in EXP only for the mileage run pursuers. As for being behind CK on the upgrade list.. .I believe they tend to be buying first class seats anyway due to their spending habits... no not an isuue...My success rate this year on upgrades in right at 96%...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stewlevine
These threads remind me just how different this is for people like me who travel each week on consulting gigs vs. some of the rest of you out here.
I stand at $18k EQD but only 65k EQM and 84 segments. I'm at a client who is relatively close to my home base, and probably would have gotten to EXP at 100 segments, but unless something drastic happens Nov/Dec, I'll be dropping down to Platinum Pro.
Probably an outcome AA wants. Where I live, I'm going to be flying them most places anyway, no reason for them to give perks for stuff I have to do anyway. Will hurt when I am on my next gig and I am flying on something other than RJs for short hops each week.
I spent many years as a PLT with over $12K spend rarely getting upgraded on any flight and never receiving challenges or perks offered to other members. I honestly believe they only target flyers who live in certain markets where they want to drum up business and ignore those whose choices are limited regardless of how much spend they put on AA.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I am a plat who travels domestic mostly in discounted Y and International sometimes in J. I never made it much past 60K miles in the old days and was killed on EQP because the domestic flights got 0.5 EQP. This year I will likely get to EXP by flying a bit more in international J (and some EQM and EQD from my Barclaycard).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL
I'm just amazed one can fly 100K miles and only have $9K in spend.
I'm 92K EQM and only 5.5K EQD so nothing amazing.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Did someone actually update the title from Less to Fewer?

If so - you're my hero.^
SeattleDavid and Gerbs like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
$500 fares to Europe? Maybe on Laker.
You'd be surprised, there are even $533 CX roundtrip direct JFK-HKG fares up now, sub-$500 on other airlines with a stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.