Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjw242
For what it's worth, I'm still clearing most upgrades, like always.
Same.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cova

Main reason for EXP is the 4 SWUs (which could be hard to use on some routes) and the free changes on rewards and same day change.
Well, those are good EXP benefits, but I don't discount First Class Check-in, F Lounges when traveling internationally, better RDM earnings, plus free drink and snack when in Y domestically (although this will be less valuable once MCE gets these benefits). Even though many feel that the quality of service of the EXP Desk has gone down, it's still better than what the other tiers receive (except for CK, of course). I'm glad I retained my EXP status for this year, and hope to do so again for the next.

And I still believe there are fewer EXP post new requirements, at least as a % of frequent flyers
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
My upgrades seem to be in line with last year or even slightly better. I'm 9/11 so far this year with a flight on Thursday still pending. I did use 2 SWUs as part of that 9 but I'm 90% sure I would have cleared those anyways. The two I missed were a DFW-PHX Thursday afternoon where I was 4th on the list and a TPA-PHX Thursday evening where I was 2nd. As always routes and timing will impact upgrade percentage. Nothing to me shows any glitch or change in EXP #s but this is just one guy's experience!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
UPGs for me since 2/1 seem to be better. I can only speak to LGA-ORD-LGA but both have cleared days in advance. Normally ORD-LGA would be a gate upgrade only in 2017. I counted around 5-6 CK's boarding with that group on LGA-ORD on Monday morning too this week. It may just be the slower Q1 travel season though.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Nothing to me shows any glitch or change in EXP #s but this is just one guy's experience!
I think us using domestic, complimentary upgrades as EXPs is not a good indicator of EXP ranks. Over the past 2 years, AA has made paid F much more reasonable in price, especially on competitive biz routes.

E.g. right now a DFW-PHX roundtrip M-Th in late February is $390 in Y and $578 in F. That's only a $188 fare difference.

I've noticed that most F cabins are more full on these routes at least 7 days out, so the available upgradable seats are much lower than what we've seen in years past. Add in CKs over EXPs on these biz routes, and you're definitely going to be sitting in Y more often.

Anecdotally, I don't think domestic upgrades tell us much about the EXP ranks.
Zacnlinc and robertablake like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I am convinced there is an IT glitch that has caused issues for me (I am EXP, $18k EQD). A couple of weeks ago, DFW to OKC (<500 mile flight) went from J7 to like J1 four days before the flight. At the airport, I was #3 on the list. Did not clear. It was the first time I didn't clear on a flight that wasn't DFW to/from LAX or ORD in probably two years.

Flights out of Omaha that I have cleared at t-100 for last 8 months I have cleared at either t-24 or t-48 this year, even though it was J7 with only two or three occupied seats at t-100.

Had a similar experience on DEN to DFW where there were plenty of open J seats at t-100, many became occupied three days before flight, but I didn't clear until t-24.

I know I am just speculating about potential issues but it does seem extremely odd. I hope this isn't their idea of going for great.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by badkneeski
I am convinced there is an IT glitch that has caused issues for me (I am EXP, $18k EQD). A couple of weeks ago, DFW to OKC (<500 mile flight) went from J7 to like J1 four days before the flight
It is possible they simply were purchased seats.
econometrics likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:37 pm

With a 16 seat F cabin on most AA domestic flights, there are many flights that are full in F a week (or more) in advance. MIA-LAS (and return) are often sold out long before the upgrade window opens. I just buy F on that route now. Feb 18/19 (two weeks from today) there is not a single F seat available from LAS to MIA on the three nonstops on Sunday, and only on the red eye Monday night has J space. Looks like AA has found the correct pricing point for their F product on some city pairs.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
It is possible they simply were purchased seats.
Possible, yes. Just unusual based on my history of flying these routes. On the DFW-OMA in particular since it is over 500 miles and no comp upgrades for plats on down, I have been more likely to see three or four non-revs in first than it being full. Also, this was a Sunday afternoon and not a business traveler heavy route like LAX-DFW.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by badkneeski
Possible, yes. Just unusual based on my history of flying these routes. On the DFW-OMA in particular since it is over 500 miles and no comp upgrades for plats on down, I have been more likely to see three or four non-revs in first than it being full. Also, this was a Sunday afternoon and not a business traveler heavy route like LAX-DFW.
Next time you book this route check the F price. If the delta isn't that much I think you know the culprit.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked a flight ord-dfw on 2/23 #2349 . Man I can't wait to see that upgrade list! I'll probably 55 on the list lol It's a 789 though so that's really cool!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked a flight ord-dfw on 2/23 #2349 . Man I can't wait to see that upgrade list! I'll probably 55 on the list lol It's a 789 though so that's really cool!
Please do post back.

The worst I saw was DFW-LHR (AA50) last year. I was #6 on the list. There were 58 EXPs in the aircraft (I asked) and the UG list was 75 deep.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Please do post back.

The worst I saw was DFW-LHR (AA50) last year. I was #6 on the list. There were 58 EXPs in the aircraft (I asked) and the UG list was 75 deep.
I will. Just selected 12A.

FWIW seat guru is showing rows 9, 10 & 11 as PE. AA app shows MCE for these row. Who should I trust? There is one seat left in row 9 but it’s a middle.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will. Just selected 12A.

FWIW seat guru is showing rows 9, 10 & 11 as PE. AA app shows MCE for these row. Who should I trust? There is one seat left in row 9 but it’s a middle.
Not seatguru is my general rule of thumb.

It is probably PE seats but being sold as MCE.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Not seatguru is my general rule of thumb.

It is probably PE seats but being sold as MCE.
shoud I gamble and choose 9B? Lol

what to do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.