Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Discrimination (allegation) on Flight 996

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting Discrimination (allegation) on Flight 996

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
As so often happens when a new member joins to rant we never hear anymore from the OP. I think that will be the case here.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mapleg
The OP's profile on Flyertalk says this:

About marinaperry
Country of Residence
US
That does not seem to jive with the jist of the complaint.
Hah! You're right. Great catch!

About marinaperry
Country of Residence
US
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by george 3
I've been a frequent traveler between JFK and Sao Paulo for the last four years. My son is in a bi-racial relationship with a Brazilian (with bi-racial children) and his family has traveled between our countries frequently. In my experience (24 flights in J/F and one in Y), the vast majority of pax on the flights have been Brazilian. Very few Americans other than biz people.
In fact, I believe I was the only American on one flight last year (77W).
That is my experience as well, with the caveat that some of those passengers may be US Citizens with Portuguese/Brazilian or Hispanic (I lived in Portugal for a while -- they don't consider themselves Hispanic!) ethnicity.

For the OP -- its also worth noting that AA is in the process of refurbing the interiors of its 777-200 fleet. In one version, row 9 is in the coach cabin, not the business cabin. Perhaps that puts your discussion with the flight attendant in context.

Again, no one (at least I'm not) is disputing the accuracy of your facts. It seems, however, that your experience is more likely attributed to an FA trying to be helpful (mistakenly thinking that the other lav was open, being aware that the passenger in the lav near you might be needing additional time, the lav on the other side of the plane is larger) or an FA who didn't want to be bothered. It's certainly the type of experience that I have had as a white male.

I work with, and like working with, a diverse crowd of smart and confident people. Once we start looking for reasons to disagree and find differences ... it takes us down a bad path. Personally, I always look for the best in people. I've found people who were literally trying to kill me the day before to have common ground despite differences in religion, culture, language, and ethnicity.
george 3 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:28 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I wonder if the default (i.e. if you don't select a gender) is male? If so, that's discrimination, so please expect another 50-post rant.
Originally Posted by mapleg
The OP's profile on Flyertalk says this:

About marinaperry
Country of Residence
US
That does not seem to jive with the jist of the complaint.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
I think it might be better if airline personnel just don't speak at all.
skylady comes through, as always!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
How does this have anything to do with discrimination? It sounds like the FA was rude to you, but it had nothing to do with your race. To quote Mallory Archer "put it back in the deck."
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by djphilly
I understand that you are just doing your job, but no, AA is in no way, shape, or form a "wonderful" airline. It is one of th worst airlines in the world, that people are forced to fly, simply because regulators have allowed the industry to become an oligopoly.
Vote with your money, go somewhere else...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
what a joke
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hyperbole, OMNI/PR, personalization along with some advice, a number of posts deleted for cause. OP seems unwilling to participate or consider other points of view. Not about earning or burning, or really about flying or enhancing the AA experience. Time to say "Good night, Irene." (If the original poster would like to contact the Moderators for reopening of other consideration, he/she is welcome to do so.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.