Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Discrimination (allegation) on Flight 996

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting Discrimination (allegation) on Flight 996

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I love how people automatically scream discrimination based on a bad experience. Bad customer service happens regardless of race, gender, etc. As others have pointed out, there are bad apples on ALL airlines.
Right. And if you call people on it, then you're a bad person.

It's very difficult to discern on an Internet forum if someone is simply always the victim in their life, or if they seriously got discriminated against. I'm not walking in their shoes, who am I?

However it's impossible to argue there are not LOTS of people always "being the victim" in this world.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Could this be related to the "passengers must not congregate in the aisles or around the toilets" announcement I've heard on AA and occasionally other airlines? Perhaps the FA deems two people waiting for the same toilet to be congregating and wanted to split them up?
Fraser likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I want to know what the FA said when the OP asked her why she didn't offer the other bathroom to the gentleman in line. Oh wait.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Anyway, I'm not really sure what you expect to accomplish.
A settlement for a sum identical to the sum that was given to Dr. Dao. A refusal to pay would be discrimination, perhaps even reverse, because Asians would be treated better than Latinos.
swingaling likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by marinaperry
Suddenly, out of nowhere, came a flight attendant who asked me for my seatnumber.
I'm pretty sure the FA came from the same airplane as you were on, so "out of nowhere" might be an exaggeration.
I said 9A. She then told me to go to the bathroom in the back of the plane. The flight attendant next to her corrected her, but she continued to insist twice that I should go to the back of the plane.
Well, there you have it. The first FA was just flat wrong. People have been wrong before.

I've had FAs tell me that I must use the lav on my own side of the plane, i.e. I can't cross over to the other aisle. It's rare, but it happens. We must allow people to make mistakes.
Finally she realized that I would not go to the back of the plane. She then sternly told me I should go to the bathroom across the hallway. I said that I wanted to wait for this bathroom because I was next in line. She sternly directed me to go to the other bathroom, and she stated that there was no one in that bathroom. When I got there the bathroom was occupied and it had been all along. She lied to me.
Well that FA is on a roll. She was wrong twice in a row. My best guess is that she was trying to enforce the "no congregating on an airplane" rule, which also prohibits queueing for the lav.
The gentleman who was in line behind, got to use the bathroom before me.
Now THAT would have pissed me off!! Almost everyone knows what a line or queue is. People should know how a queue operates. If you see a queue you want to join, it's easy to know where to join: at the END. You never insert yourself into the middle of a queue. Likewise, when it's time to fetch the next person from the queue, everyone knows that it's always the first in line. I have very little sympathy for queue jumpers.
I feel that I was victimized ...
Yes. In a very small way, but yes.
... by a bully who targeted me for my race as well as for reverse discrimination regarding gender.
Could be. I don't actually believe this. I believe that anyone standing in your exact spot on that exact airplane at that exact time would have been treated the exact same way. It's wrong, but it's not discrimination.
The crew in the AA Business class on the flight staff was well aware of the issue and they can identify her.
HER??? You said that the queue-jumper was a gentleman.
As a diverse female professional and mother of 2 diverse daughters, I cannot allow this to take place. As a human being I cannot allow this type of abuse to be tolerated anywhere.
I fully agree with these points. I'd like to add a third point: "Pick Your Battles". Someone jumped in front of you in the line to use the lav. There's a very strong tendency to just "let it go" ... "Stuff Happens" ... "take a chill pill" ... etc. Yes, you could escalate for sure, but the prize is probably not worth the effort.
At school I tell my kids to stand up to bullies and if someone is bullying somebody else, they should call them out.
Yes, I think the queue-jumper should have been informed that even if he thinks he did the right thing, he didn't. Perhaps a quick lesson in how a queue works (you insert yourself at the END, not in the middle. You wait until you get to the FRONT, not the middle. etc.).
Not only was there a bully among AA Flight 996 crew ...
Wait! Whoa! Stop! The culprit was the gent who jumped ahead of you in line!
I sent my complaint to AA Customer Relations, and they were completely dismissive. IS THERE ANY WAY TO ESCALATE THIS?
Yes, if you can find the bloke who jumped the line, and snarl at him or something.
I really don't want to fly American ever again with how they have addressed this. That woman needs to be accountable for her actions.
My heartfelt recommendation: Improve the system. You mentioned that you teach kids. Teach them how a line or queue works. This is your opportunity to prevent many dozens of similar line-jumping incidents in future generations.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Oct 20, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by dgparent
You are joking right ?
He is!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:04 am

seeing people use this whole race-victimhood complaint for any little incident of hurt feelings is getting so annoying. save it for something real.
example...

OP: claiming the FA "lied" to you about the other bathroom being empty...So she was wrong, it was occupied. Probably someone slipped in unnoticed while you were getting into your race war with the FA. She made a mistake and you got to go next. Lose the chip on your shoulder.
Fraser likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:58 am
formerly PHLGrump

Have you tried contacting AA? If so, what did they say?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
This qualifies as a thread for the "stupidest thing you can complain about".

Seriously OP, you were offended that they told you to use a different lav because the one you were waiting for was in use?

Grow up. (If you are even real)
Fraser likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Ms. Perry

We are a forum for frequent travelers who exchange ideas. This is not a way to contact American Airlines.

I'm not sure what to say of your experience as I was not there. I will say that some of us, including myself, sometimes make conclusions based on perceptions that might not be fully accurate.

I don't understand why you believe there was some form of discrimination. In my experience, most of the passengers in business on AA flights to/from deep South America are Hispanic. When I traveled on AA in business to Hong Kong, I believe most of the other passengers were Asian. As these flights are overnight, many people are dressed very casually, so I don't think there would be much perception of clothing.

Sometimes, however, some of the flight attendants on long haul AA flights can get cranky. I wasn't particularly happy with the service I had on a recent long haul flight. The flight attendant ignored me and I had to go to the galley anytime I wanted anything but I don't think it was because I was a white guy.
Ms Perry, so sorry for the loss of your father and belated welcome to FT.

I've been a frequent traveler between JFK and Sao Paulo for the last four years. My son is in a bi-racial relationship with a Brazilian (with bi-racial children) and his family has traveled between our countries frequently. In my experience (24 flights in J/F and one in Y), the vast majority of pax on the flights have been Brazilian. Very few Americans other than biz people.
In fact, I believe I was the only American on one flight last year (77W).

While I have been a witness to racial discrimination in Brazil (by Brazilians), I have seen nothing but excellent service and respect from the flight attendants. My son has also been nothing but complimentary about the service provided by the AA FAs.

Perhaps it really was a misunderstanding that escalated due the long, overnight flight. I know how it feels to wake up 6 or 7 hours into a 10 hour flight to or from deep South America. You just don't feel great. Might I suggest you take a deep breath and consider your actions?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately the first contact with many companies result in an excuse for the error without wanting to do the work needed to investigate the issue or submit a trouble ticket to get someone to resolve it. I blame the bean counters that try to put a dollar value on support and push for the CSRs to clear calls quickly.

Most times if you respectfully push back on your complaint you get someone to actually look at what happened and deal with the issue. AA is particularly bad about this with shooting back an answer that is not even related to the complaint (I've seen instructions on how to use the window shade when complaining about the lack of airflow from the vents). Do cut the complaint down to what actually happened and do not insert your presumptions as to why (racist actions) since you're only guessing. Had there been specific statements, that would be different.

Good luck getting someone to listen.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG Gold
The OP's profile on Flyertalk says this:

About marinaperry
Country of Residence
US
That does not seem to jive with the jist of the complaint.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by mapleg
The OP's profile on Flyertalk says this:

About marinaperry
Country of Residence
US
That does not seem to jive with the jist of the complaint.
Well, don't believe everything you read on an unverified internet forum.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Kryptonite
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
He is!
That is one reason to use "smiles" just to play it safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.