Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA should 'reinvent' coach dining

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
KFC? Taco Bell? "Revolutionizing"? More like "revolting".
Originally Posted by enviroian
I assume the OP's post was in jest, no?
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
How is greasy, unhealthy fat-laden fast food from KFC or Taco Bell "revolutionizing" coach dining? Gross. I think people are trained well enough by now to bring what they want, be it crap food like that from the food court or something else.
I don't like USA McDonald's or USA KFC, but I can stomach their international locations. In my opinion, the food is tastier, healthier (less grease and less salt), and portioned better. If AA could use the international editions of American fast food chains, I would like it better than what they server now in economy.

One of my favorite activities overseas is eating at an American chain restaurant, but having the local menu item. (Note: If I do this the minimum ratio would be 10-1 in favor of local restaurants. So if I'm visiting Hong Kong for 3 days, I would not be doing this.)
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA is not going to do anything that doesn't cause a positive hit to the bottom line. Remember how people complained about seat pitch, so AA came up with MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach)... Of course, AA tried to increase prices for this, but customers did not want to pay for this extra space, so AA dumped it for MCE. Even if people wanted it, the cost of providing a KFC or TB food would be quite a bit more than what you would pay for it if you picked up yourself at the restaurant, and a lot of people are not going to wanted this "stuff" let alone use it to decide whether or not to fly AA. I don't think this would be cost justified.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I don't like USA McDonald's or USA KFC, but I can stomach their international locations. In my opinion, the food is tastier, healthier (less grease and less salt), and portioned better. If AA could use the international editions of American fast food chains, I would like it better than what they server now in economy.

One of my favorite activities overseas is eating at an American chain restaurant, but having the local menu item. (Note: If I do this the minimum ratio would be 10-1 in favor of local restaurants. So if I'm visiting Hong Kong for 3 days, I would not be doing this.)
I remember my first trip to Russia.. At the time, McD had replaced ice cream with some bad tasting non-ice cream replacement..... But, in Moscow, they used real ice cream.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
If they cater Taco Bell on longhauls, they're going to have to put about eight more lavs on each plane.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 pm

Interesting article recently in NYT about KFC in Ghana: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/h...c-obesity.html

It's considered very sophisticated and modern there (and probably in other countries throughout the world), but of course it is nutrition-poor food and it is contributing to an obesity epidemic.

When I first came to the US, I loved KFC too. A lot of food technology goes into designing junk food that people will crave and which can be produced with cheap ingredients. But on a plane? The smell would make me sick today.

The fact that JAL serves it is hardly a good argument---in fact it is a humiliating thing for Japan given that Japanese foods are some of the healthiest.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm under the impression that people who fly want to get to their (far away) destination as quickly and painlessly as possible. So it seems to me if AA wants to revolutionize domestic flying, they should focus on ops and overhaul their fleet.

I don't know anybody who takes a flight because they wanted a meal.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Anything, even KFC or Taco Bell, would be an improvement from the over-cooked slimy pasta with “marinara” (actually more like catsup) sauce and the mandatory brown, wilted iceberg lettuce (root) salad. When flying long haul economy on AA I always bring my own food.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kb9522
I'm under the impression that people who fly want to get to their (far away) destination as quickly and painlessly as possible. So it seems to me if AA wants to revolutionize domestic flying, they should focus on ops and overhaul their fleet.

No, but people spend a lot of time on planes. Connections that are adequate to grab something can become inadequate quickly. There's both nutritional and entertainment value (they helped me kill 30 minutes on this 4-hr flight!) from serving food. Airplane food doesn't have to be nasty - or non-existent. AA has plenty of room for improvement. As for Delta's claim to reinvent international food service... that's much too hopeful, IMHO, even discounting for Corp. Communications hyperbole.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:34 pm

Kentucky Fried Rat and Toxic Belch. No thanks.
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kb9522

Well, you got one wish out of two, since the A321s and 737s will get new Meridian slimmer line seats with 30" pitch in MC.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chongcao
If you think KFC is revolting you should avoid Japan Airlines.
Now that I know they're serving KFC, I will indeed avoid them. Thanks for the heads-up! ^
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'm usually up for a cheesy gordita crunch, so I'm totally game for this. Like others, I'd imagine that the Y cabin is largely price-sensitive, where in-cabin dining is not an important factor. But for a tie breaker, taco bell wins.

+1
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by chongcao

It is time for AA to introduce American Dining concept with introduction of KFC inspired Chicken Burger on board, or Taco Bell inspired seasonal Tacos for long haul, or branded pizza...or whatever, just do not copy Delta any more. Have something original and American!

ADD: For those against KFC meals, please note that 5 star airline JAL did introduce it on its coach flight between the US and Japan. We are talking about 3 stars AA's already unhealthy coach meal (not the meals you normally have in Business or First).
No thanks. Taco Bell is outright disgusting. Same thing with KFC (However, KFC in Poland is absolute yum and nothing like what is sold in the U.S.). I just prefer something edible and not overly salted for my intl coach meal. No need to be innovative or daring. That almost always ends up as a fail.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

To be honest I'd rather have KFC or Taco Bell instead of whatever that slop they served on my last flight was.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The fact that JAL serves it is hardly a good argument---in fact it is a humiliating thing for Japan given that Japanese foods are some of the healthiest.
I disagree with you. KFC is ultra popular in Japan. If a healthy eating country consider KFC a delicacy, there is no reason why other carrier could not try a menu inspired by its popularity.

And what is the most intriguing thing is that JAL served KFC meal during Christmas festival period. It is a celebration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.