Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines purchased a number of Airbus A321-200, all equipped with “Sharklets” wingtip devices. These vary from the A321-200s purchased by US Airways, which have conventional wingtips and were stripped of at-seat power and in flight entertainment.

For several years, AA showed the legacy AA Sharklets equipped aircraft as “32B” in schedules, regardless of the variant. In early 2029, AA classified this and the legacy US version as “321”.

Current versions include the three class (with Flagship First) A321T used only between JFK and LAX or SFO. This variant has its own thread. Others include:

A321S, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 used domestically and to near international destinations.

A321H, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 ETOPS used for West Coast - Hawaii overwater flights. These are to be replaced by A321neo aircraft later in 2029.

Both models have identical seating.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Legacy AA A321-200 “32B” Sharklets wingtip device equipped aircraft will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT/5.5MM, Marriott Lifetime PLT

Seat 9C - 10C - 11C - 12C
Do these seats all have normal recline and how about overhead bin space???
Which is your preference seat???
Thanks

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 5, 2016 at 8:49 am Reason: Merged duplicate posts – Duplicates are not permitted by FlyerTalk Rules
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Welcome to FT. I'm reporting this to be merged with the big LAA 321 two class thread, which it appears you've already found.

The AA seating has row 11 as an exit row so it will have more legroom, but the tray table is in the armrest and the seats are a little narrower. There is more competition for overhead space as row 11 will have to put all of their items above. The bins right above the doors are limited to smaller items. Another seat to consider is 12F, which has a flight attendant jump seat in front of it. When the crew is up and about, you have lots of room and can usually slip out by passing in front of 11D/E. Nobody bothers you but you have aisle access.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 5, 2016 at 8:49 am Reason: Merged posts on the same topic that have been moved to this thread
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by makfan
Welcome to FT. I'm reporting this to be merged with the big LAA 321 two class thread, which it appears you've already found.
Near as I can tell, we haven't got a good economy non-transcon LAA MCE thread, so I've retitled this thread as such.

~Moderator
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT/5.5MM, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Tks makfan for yr info. Usually fly 32T on transcon but going to try 32B next month.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What about such seats on LUS planes? These are one or two rows out of sync with LAA planes. I've got a few of these on a Business Extra award ticket (so won't be able to upgrade) for December and tight connections so want to get off the plane quickly, but also max the leg room with exit row seats as there is no other option for extra-legroom seats on these US planes.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What about such seats on LUS planes? These are one or two rows out of sync with LAA planes. I've got a few of these on a Business Extra award ticket (so won't be able to upgrade) for December and tight connections so want to get off the plane quickly, but also max the leg room with exit row seats as there is no other option for extra-legroom seats on these US planes.
Best economy tickets in the LUS A321s are:
10 A or 10 F - no row in front of them; esp if you are traveling alone
Row 9 seats - just two seats and normal exit rows; great for pairs as their are just two seats on either side. Downside is no window for these

The same repeats itself further back in 22/23 although the jumpseat is on the left side instead of the right side for the seats further back. 22/23 are also near the mid-plane lav which can be annoying.

I avoid the LUS A321 bulkheads. Only get a few inches extra room and the hard dividers don't allow you to stretch out at all
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was actually an empty area in front of 9D/E/F so if I take 10F I can easily get up and walk in front of row 9 when inflight, as the seat map shows.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Any input on whether Row 5, listed as MCE on aa.com but Yellow on seatguru (MCE but restricted leg room) is better than a standard seat in 6 or 7?. We have someone under 15, so exits aren't an option.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA
Hi, looks like the consensus is that for the LUS 10F might be the best.

Anyone experienced the LAA 321s? Looks like they are flying them between LAX-HNL (version 3 on seat guru).

Someone mentioned 12F is very good. How about row 11? 24 and 25A/F?

I haven't been on the LAA 321s but it based on what I see on seatguru, all of 11 looks good, row 24 is close to the bathroom and probably far from the window but should have good leg room with maybe some limited recline due to being an exit? And 25A and F seem to be equivalent to 12F.

Justbmy assumptions based on seating chart. Anyone have any experience in one of those seats (11, 24 and row 25)?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by moonwoo
Hi, looks like the consensus is that for the LUS 10F might be the best.

Anyone experienced the LAA 321s? Looks like they are flying them between LAX-HNL (version 3 on seat guru).

Someone mentioned 12F is very good. How about row 11? 24 and 25A/F?

I haven't been on the LAA 321s but it based on what I see on seatguru, all of 11 looks good, row 24 is close to the bathroom and probably far from the window but should have good leg room with maybe some limited recline due to being an exit? And 25A and F seem to be equivalent to 12F.

Justbmy assumptions based on seating chart. Anyone have any experience in one of those seats (11, 24 and row 25)?
Seats 25A and 25F are great seats for Y, particularly if you want a window view and leg room.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Seats 25A and 25F are great seats for Y, particularly if you want a window view and leg room.
Awesome, I'll try out the 25A seat and report back.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Hello,

how is the window/aisle access situation on the LAA A321 for 11A, 12F, 25A, 25F?

I like a window but I also like getting up and moving around during a flight (without disturbing others)!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Row11A you will have total access to get up without anyone else moving around. You will have more legroom than in F. If the middle seat is empty it feels like being in F. The only annoying thing is that the AVOD screen is attached to the seat. 25A and 25F are also good (if 11A is gone).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Row11A you will have total access to get up without anyone else moving around. You will have more legroom than in F. If the middle seat is empty it feels like being in F. The only annoying thing is that the AVOD screen is attached to the seat. 25A and 25F are also good (if 11A is gone).
Great - does 11A have a window though?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:25 am

Does row 8 have extra, same or less legroom?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.