Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA agent quibbles bag size & fees, "says curling isn't a sport"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

It appears that there was a mini-squabble between an American agent and a Canadian curler. Washington Post story here.

As usual, the accounts between participants vary, but my favourite quote was from American. Responding to the assertion that their agent said curling was not a sport (it's in the Olympics), American stated:
“[The agent] said it wasn’t an ‘elite’ sport like golf,”
I'm someone who unfairly thinks that both curling and golf are games as opposed to sports, since there's no intentional contact, but I wasn't previously aware of the preferential pricing for sports equipment.

Let the games begin.

Curling is now afforded “sports equipment” status on AA, so this thread will now be archived. For further information, please consult the thread entitled “AA Baggage: Special items and sports equipment”.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: Restore original post title. Add moderator note.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The report also has AA denying that the conversation was as depicted by the person, but that the airline was correctly applying fees

Originally Posted by AA spokesman
Based on the information provided in the Facebook post by the passenger, and the statement from our team member: we applied the correct policy regarding sports items,” Feinstein continued. “The passenger presented herself with a bag that was over the standard bag size of 62 linear inches but containing sports equipment, her curling broom. Our agent explained to the passenger the policy on oversize bags and that she would be willing to assist the passenger by applying the sports equipment rate of $150 vs. the normal oversize charge of $200.

Looking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...and-sports.jsp , there seems to be no special exemptions for curling equipment
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
why my fencing gear goes in a golf bag.
sbbutler93 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Once the curler thought they had heard curling described in any sort of "not a real sport" terms, this was never going to end well - no matter what actually transpired
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:04 pm

Guess I have an idea for a new venture; wonder how big the market for 2 piece screw-apart curling brooms is...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:36 pm

You really have to be trying hard to fill copy when every customer service flap becomes news.

I wonder if the curler wept during the exchange?
dickinson likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The article is paywalled - did the curler think there was some exemption beyond the cheaper price for sports equipment that was given?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
http://www.ajc.com/sports/curlers-up...76aTEoQ5KZYqJ/
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Everything I can goes into an empty golf bag , hard travel case, golf clubs usually travel for free and you can put a ton of crap in the hard sided ones

A cheap one with wheels is usually $100 to buy so pays off quickly
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<response to deleted post removed by moderator>

I too had no idea that airlines cared what specifically you checked (its sportiness, anyway), only its size and dimensions. Although now that I think about it, they never measure my big hard-sided golf case, even though that sucker is definitely over 62". I do keep it under 50 lbs figuring they could weigh it, although they often don't bother. Perhaps they figure it isn't worth the effort to prop it on end and get it onto the scale.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:48 pm Reason: Response to deleted post removed by moderator
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate when people play the curling card.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Everything I can goes into an empty golf bag , hard travel case, golf clubs usually travel for free and you can put a ton of crap in the hard sided ones

Or $20 at the thrift store!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<response to deleted content removed by moderator>

Back to my on-topic question. What's the beef, if the curler was given the cheaper sports-equipment cost? Did she believe curling equipment has some type of exemption?
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:49 pm Reason: Response to deleted content removed by moderator
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet

FYI (though you probably know this already):

Originally Posted by AA Website
If the golf bag contains anything other than the approved items then additional oversize and overweight charges will apply. You may be asked to open your bag at the airport.
And on topic re: what is a sport, as George Carlin used to say: "Hockey isn't a sport. Hockey is three things going on at the same time: skating, playing with a puck, and beating the stuffing out of someone."

Last edited by HofstraJet; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:23 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

And on topic re: what is a sport, as George Carlin used to say: "Hockey isn't a sport. Hockey is three things going on at the same time: skating, playing with a puck, and beating the sh*t out of someone."
That is ice hockey rather than hockey

Regardless, what does a definition of sport have to do with AA other than that curling is not an activity for which any soecial allowance apply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.