Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Early checkin (baggage check) at HNL (Honolulu) for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon

We are arriving from KOA to HNL on a HA flight arriving around 09:00. We are departing on a separate ticket on AA at 23:35 to LAX and onwards to the UK on the same day. I am not anticipating being able to through check bags from KOA, though if I do succeed in fast talking them I'll be happy. We would prefer not to have our bags with us all day while we go around Honolulu.

Are there any AA checkin counters open around 09:30 in HNL?

How receptive would the staff be to us checking in at 09:30 for the AA144 departing 23:35?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From AA.com:
Honolulu, HI (HNL) - Airport information

Ticket counter

Main Terminal
Sunday - Friday: 4:30 a.m. - 6:15 a.m.; 9:45 a.m. - 10:05 p.m.
Saturday: 4:30 a.m. - 6:15 a.m.; 9 a.m. - 10:05 p.m.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've tried twice to check bags "early" in the last year -- once in GRU and once in MCO -- for very similar reasons, yet both times I couldn't do so more than four hours before the flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Seems like I did that in HNL before but its been a year or so. It helped that I was there a lot at the time and they recognized me. Its a short walk from the HA terminal over to AA but no harm in checking. I can't remember if there is a left luggage area there at HNL but you might want to google that. Your issue should be fairly common.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It differs by station. AA theoretically limits bag check to T-4 hours, but only enforces that at certain locations. MCO as a cruise port is one of them. Given the above information, why not call AA and ask.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here is the onsite baggage storage for HNL: http://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/servi...ocker-storage/

You may want to search further...I believe there may be a cheaper one offsite but very nearby.

I would also call AA a day or two before your flight and ask for the HNL ticket counter hours. The website is not always accurate.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's highly improbable Hawaiian will through check your baggage with American on separate ticketing / PNRs. And it's unlikely ime AA will accept your baggage that early. Try, but be aware there's a Smarte Carte affiliated left luggage facility at HNL: link.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:24 pm

What if you just didn’t claim your luggage from the HA carousel? I did this on AA at ABQ last month. Came back hours later and picked them up at baggage service office when I had my vehicle. Agent just smiled and said have a nice day. It’s definitely not the first time I’ve done this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by railmatt
What if you just didn’t claim your luggage from the HA carousel? I did this on AA at ABQ last month. Came back hours later and picked them up at baggage service office when I had my vehicle. Agent just smiled and said have a nice day. It’s definitely not the first time I’ve done this.
I would honestly never leave luggage twirling around on a baggage claim until an agent came to get it. It's a good way to let thieves have a chance to steal your luggage. I'd say you've been quite lucky.
JDiver and TWA884 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Seems like I did that in HNL before but its been a year or so. It helped that I was there a lot at the time and they recognized me. Its a short walk from the HA terminal over to AA but no harm in checking. I can't remember if there is a left luggage area there at HNL but you might want to google that. Your issue should be fairly common.
I'm going to have to rely on my sweet personality, no chance of recognition Thanks for confirming it can be done, even if it turns out it can't be done by me.

There is, contrary to what I understood from posts elsewhere on FT and somewhat to my surprise, a left luggage service in the airport. So many US airports lack them, but there is one here, so that is a fallback position. Clearly I'd prefer free checkin with AA to paid checkin with the luggage store, but either beats schlepping bags all day.

Originally Posted by JDiver
It's highly improbable Hawaiian will through check your baggage with American on separate ticketing / PNRs. And it's unlikely ime AA will accept your baggage that early. Try, but be aware there's a Smarte Carte affiliated left luggage facility at HNL: link.
I'm sure through check on separate tickets is quite unlikely, indeed. Thanks for the left luggage hint also.

Originally Posted by railmatt
I'm afraid I'm not confident in doing this, especially where the baggage belts are open to non-travellers. I do not feel lucky, nor confident that leftover bags might not be removed to some distant location or locked up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.