Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confirm upgrade with Miles + Copay, switch to SWU later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver

Upcoming international flight in January has C availability. I recently cancelled a trip that I had upgraded with a SWU, but that SWU is not back in my account yet (AA says to wait up to a week and AAdvantage CS is not available for SWU re-issue on weekend).

Can I confirm the upgrade now using Miles + Copay and then when the SWU is returned switch the upgrade to that SWU and get the Miles + Copay refunded?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not sure if you can switch instruments after confirmation but the copay is nonrefundable.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Ended up in a situation like that for an upcoming trip.

A friend and I are travelling TATL on separate PNRs. They originally submitted a miles + copay request until some SWUs freed up in my account. I called into the EXP desk to switch their upgrade request to SWU. Their AA app shows SWU as the upgrade instrument and we both just cleared the upgrade to J on the first leg with no sign of copay hitting their credit card.

Now here's to hoping we get upgraded on our return leg...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not the same as the OPs question. Can definitely switchbefore clearing, no copay is charged until cleared.

After clearing is another thing.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Same situation earlier this year -- was going to requal for EXP two days before the trip I wanted to upgrade so wouldn't have the SWUs in my account until just prior to the flight. Many calls to the EXP desk who told me I had to speak with the Advantage desk who sent me back to the EXP desk. Both said that the other might be able to "lend" the SWU since I was going to earn it. Neither did. Both said that the SWU request is different and seperate from a paid upgrade, so I wouldn't be helped by reserving the paid upgrade and waiting or trying to switch to the SWU.
I ended up writing an email to this person, whose office made it happen for me:

<redacted for privacy>

Good luck! Aa did the right thing for me and really helped

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 2019 at 10:15 am Reason: E-mail redacted - privacy
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a different inventory class or different priority on the upgrade waitlist, you shouldn't be able to switch instruments without completely cancelling the initial upgrade and then waitlisting anew for it with no guarantees of availability.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:42 am

Same fare bucket and priority. But I don't know that they can remove the instrument without canceling the upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Not sure if you can switch instruments after confirmation but the copay is nonrefundable.
Not sure what you mean. The copay is refundable...in what curcumstances...and isn't there miles that you would have to pay to return to your account ..
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:24 pm

I had a flight with a confirmed (gifted) SWU earlier this year that the gifter decided to swap it for mileage upgrade. Kept the confirmed upgrade, it did get stuck reticketing but they were able to clean it up. FWIW, there was C space remaining at the time of the swap.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Paid C space doesn't matter; it's upgrade bucket inventory that counts.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Paid C space doesn't matter; it's upgrade bucket inventory that counts.
On American Airlines, C is upgrade inventory, not paid business class.
JDiver, JonNYC, Antarius and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone had recent luck swapping out a confirmed miles+copay for SWU and getting the copay refunded? I know AA.com says that copays are non-refundable, but just wondering if that is a hard-and-fast rule. I expect my new batch of SWUs to become available in a month.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by dkc192
Anyone had recent luck swapping out a confirmed miles+copay for SWU and getting the copay refunded? I know AA.com says that copays are non-refundable, but just wondering if that is a hard-and-fast rule. I expect my new batch of SWUs to become available in a month.
Bump with the same question.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
No personal experience on this, but you list yourself as a PLT, so I don't know where your SWU are coming from (MM?), but I doubt they will refund the CoPay once charged. (They WILL if you fail to get accommodated in the upgraded cabin due to irrops, but that's the only way I've heard of it occurring.)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
No personal experience on this, but you list yourself as a PLT, so I don't know where your SWU are coming from (MM?), but I doubt they will refund the CoPay once charged. (They WILL if you fail to get accommodated in the upgraded cabin due to irrops, but that's the only way I've heard of it occurring.)
I’m waiting on a gifted SWU but C space just opened up on one of the legs of my DCA-SYD flight so I wanted to see what would happen if I went this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.