Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 14, 17, 2:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
SWU / Systemwide Upgrade Giveaway
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

NOTE: This is the archived thread of obsolete SWU giveaway posts. Please see the current thread:
SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo).

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
I really wish I had a flight in Feb. Unfortunately I am flying with the wife and daughter in April. Everyone here is so generous!
Old Feb 4, 17, 4:11 pm

Programs: GS UA / EP AA
8 available

Happy to give away to good use.
Old Feb 4, 17, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP MR-GLD SPG-GLD IHG-GLD HH-GLD WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by Marcio Souza View Post
Happy to give away to good use.
Thank you for your generosity--all my trips now after the expiration date--but a great gift to the FT community!
Old Feb 4, 17, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.6MM AC; UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM + AMB
Has anyone had luck getting EXP desk to deploy an SWU expiring Feb. 28 to a flight after Feb. 28 where C inventory can be confirmed? In years past, they've always agreed to do that for us. Last year, it took an extra step for them to call ADV cust svc for authorization, but they did it. I'd hope they'd do it again this year, especially since they've cut back on how many they give now.
Old Feb 4, 17, 7:46 pm

Well put me in the list as well I got 6 to give away

Edit: I think they are all taken now, it was given on first come first serve basis

Last edited by jkuok; Feb 4, 17 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 5, 17, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere View Post
I received a PM from ngls but was unable to reply. For those who PM me, please include name, dates, PNR, and cell phone to minimize PMs back and forth.
Same here, i was going to give an SWU to ngls, but PMs to ngls are blocked for some reason.
Old Feb 5, 17, 7:21 am

Mechanism?

If someone has offered use of their SWU to someone, what's the right way to effect it? Should the recipient PM a confirmation number to the giver, or is there a better way?
Old Feb 5, 17, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
If someone has offered use of their SWU to someone, what's the right way to effect it? Should the recipient PM a confirmation number to the giver, or is there a better way?
The way it has always worked for me as donor is to call and give the agent he PNR. They'll usually want to verify the passenger's name and routing. This requires a certain degree of trust, meaning the recipient must trust you will respect privacy of their full name and PNR.

There is to my knowledge no confirmation number other than a possible reissued ticket number, but as donor I have no need for that. The recipient should PM their thanks, and it's courteous, albeit not necessary, for a recipient to PM after the trip with perhaps some anecdotal information about the trip and a reiteration of thanks - for one, if the SWU isn't cleared the donor should have their SWU back and AA isn't always 100% reliable about recrediting an unused SWU.
Old Feb 5, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The way it has always worked for me as donor is to call and give the agent he PNR. They'll usually want to verify the passenger's name and routing. This requires a certain degree of trust, meaning the recipient must trust you will respect privacy of their full name and PNR.

There is to my knowledge no confirmation number other than a possible reissued ticket number, but as donor I have no need for that. The recipient should PM their thanks, and it's courteous, albeit not necessary, for a recipient to PM after the trip with perhaps some anecdotal information about the trip and a reiteration of thanks - for one, if the SWU isn't cleared the donor should have their SWU back and AA isn't always 100% reliable about recrediting an unused SWU.
This exactly what I have done in the past - get the PNR, passenger name(s), and routing. And if waitlisted request the giftee to alert to any SWUs that don't clear... although at this late date having them remain in your account might not be of much help.

Sage advice, as always, from JDiver.
Old Feb 6, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
I may have an SWU or two to spare. PM me to tell me your best story of why I should gift you one.
Old Feb 6, 17, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by bcm0830 View Post
Has anyone had luck getting EXP desk to deploy an SWU expiring Feb. 28 to a flight after Feb. 28 where C inventory can be confirmed? In years past, they've always agreed to do that for us. Last year, it took an extra step for them to call ADV cust svc for authorization, but they did it. I'd hope they'd do it again this year, especially since they've cut back on how many they give now.
Thus far this year, the answer has been unequivocally NO! (At least for me)
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
You don't have to say anything, just make sure you have SWU that will expire in 2018, the system will automatically use the one that are going to expire this month
Old Feb 6, 17, 10:07 am
Suspended

... Last year, it took an extra step for them to call ADV cust svc for authorization, but they did it.
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
Thus far this year, the answer has been unequivocally NO! (At least for me)
Keep in mind, not all EPs are equal in this sense, in the previous few years there was unambiguous guidelines that systematically allowed some members to use post-expiration (if applied before, of course) and most members not.

Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
You don't have to say anything, just make sure you have SWU that will expire in 2018, the system will automatically use the one that are going to expire this month
While that is how it's working again this year, a) there have been-- yes very sporadic-- reports of AA later clawing back SWUs that were applied improperly in this way later on. Very few reports, but it is AAdv policy that they can do that.

And, b), based on a), within the context of -this- thread (SWU giveaways,) I would personally advise against, possibly, as it's not one assuming one's own risk of this-- as small as it may be.
Old Feb 7, 17, 12:35 am

I have some SWUs expiring that I don't expect to be able to use. Please PM me if you think you may be able to use them. Ideally, it would be great if the space is likely to be immediately confirmable so I don't have to track anything.
Old Feb 7, 17, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; Marriott LTT; National Car Executive Elite
So far I have given away 1 that has cleared, and the others are wait listed. I should know more next week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: