Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 14, 17, 2:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
SWU / Systemwide Upgrade Giveaway
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

NOTE: This is the archived thread of obsolete SWU giveaway posts. Please see the current thread:
SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo).

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 22, 17, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
Ideas solicited on how to have SWU awardees pay applicable fees

Some of my 8 gifted SWUs have cleared without any additional fees but requests for upgrades via LHR and a few other airports have high fees associated with the upgrades. I don't want to pay for the fees when I do the upgrade for the SWU awardee. What is the best way to have the awardee pay the fees when I call to get the upgrade done?

In the past I've absorbed the fee when the fees were small but I don't want to run the risk of not being reimbursed for high fees such as through LHR when I pay the fees up front.
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle View Post
Some of my 8 gifted SWUs have cleared without any additional fees but requests for upgrades via LHR and a few other airports have high fees associated with the upgrades. I don't want to pay for the fees when I do the upgrade for the SWU awardee. What is the best way to have the awardee pay the fees when I call to get the upgrade done?

In the past I've absorbed the fee when the fees were small but I don't want to run the risk of not being reimbursed for high fees such as through LHR when I pay the fees up front.
Ask the person you're upgrading to give you a virtual account number (available on citi cards) if they don't want to give you an actual credit card number
Old Jan 23, 17, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Dumb question but do these work on BA if you are OW Status?
Old Jan 23, 17, 1:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airmarc View Post
Dumb question but do these work on BA if you are OW Status?
No, you can only use a SWU on AA operated and marketed flights.

For more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jan 23, 17, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please do NOT ask for SWU. If replying to an offer, please do so by PM to the member making the offer.

/Moderator
Old Jan 23, 17, 11:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle View Post

An SWU to the U.K. won't require additional fees. An SWU from the U.K. will require paying the Air Passenger Duty unless it's used from paid Business to upgraded First (where the APD would already have been paid).
Old Jan 25, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: Southwest CP/A & Hyatt Globalist - love both of these companies!
Some folks have told me that SWUs that are expiring at the end of Feb can still be used, if my coach-to-business upgrade can be confirmed before the Feb expiration date. My travel is March 8, so basically within a week of the end of Feb.

1) Is this true? Any first hand experience with this? Obviously, AA doesn't want to let folks upgrade in April when the SWU expired in Feb, but because it is just a couple days, is that even possible?

2) Taxes: are there typically any additional tax costs associated with destinations when an SWU upgrade is used to fly from the USA?
Old Jan 25, 17, 10:53 am

It is possible. AA will look at your account, and see if they will allow expiring SWU to be used. But C needs to be confirmed prior to expiration.

In my case, AA did not allow it to be used. Mainly because I wasn't flying much anymore, losing status etc.

Just call and let them know which account the SWU is coming from, and they can confirm.
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
An SWU to the U.K. won't require additional fees. An SWU from the U.K. will require paying the Air Passenger Duty unless it's used from paid Business to upgraded First (where the APD would already have been paid).
any idea on how much those fees would be? If there are too much fees I would just skip flying AA this time...

i am am talking about the LHR to DFW or to ORD routing, booking class M with American.
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Tommys888 View Post
any idea on how much those fees would be? If there are too much fees I would just skip flying AA this time...

i am am talking about the LHR to DFW or to ORD routing, booking class M with American.
Should be 118$ per person Y to J.

Just checked my charge, it was $116.20. LHR-LAX

Last edited by hiima; Jan 25, 17 at 1:51 pm
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tommys888 View Post

Current APD: Reduced: £73 (Coach, ~$92) and Standard £146 (Business or First, including upgrades), if departing LHR or connecting longer than 23:59. £42.06 LHR UK Passenger Service Charge is extra.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 17 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Current APD: Reduced: £73 (Coach, ~$92) and Standard £146 (Business or First, including upgrades), if departing LHR or connecting longer than 23:59. £42.06 LHR UK Passenger Service Charge is extra.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
I don't think that can be right - it used to be around $118 and the exchange rate has reduced that to about $95, which would suggest the actual fee is about £75-80. Maybe you mis-typed and meant £73 since 146-73 is definitely closer to 73 than 42.

Anyway, I paid it today and it was $95.
Old Jan 25, 17, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
And don't forget...

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
I don't think that can be right - it used to be around $118 and the exchange rate has reduced that to about $95, which would suggest the actual fee is about £75-80. Maybe you mis-typed and meant £73 since 146-73 is definitely closer to 73 than 42.

Anyway, I paid it today and it was $95.
And don't forget that there is no APD for upgrades at all when you are just in transit thru LHR. You only have to pay when your trip originates in UK.
And "originates" includes layovers in UK of >24 hours.
Old Jan 25, 17, 11:26 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Clear. I was actually transiting since I depart from Munich. I guess in this case there is no fee... thank you all!
Old Jan 27, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
And don't forget that there is no APD for upgrades at all when you are just in transit thru LHR. You only have to pay when your trip originates in UK.
And "originates" includes layovers in UK of >24 hours.
p.s. When I recently gave an SWU to a fellow FTer, there was an APD of $103, but I wasn't sure what the equivalent GBP rate was that day... I'm guessing 85GBP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: