Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 14, 17, 2:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
SWU / Systemwide Upgrade Giveaway
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

NOTE: This is the archived thread of obsolete SWU giveaway posts. Please see the current thread:
SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo).

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP MR-GLD SPG-GLD IHG-GLD HH-GLD WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Thank you so much for your generous offer! Just checked expert flyer and unfortunately my trip 1/15-1/22 is still listed as C0 both directions -- I put an alert on it and will let send you a PM if space opens up!

Hopefully a fellow FTer can quickly apply these to available confirmable upgrade space!

Best,

Schertz
Old Jan 9, 17, 9:25 pm

Programs: 2014 SPG Plat, 2013 Marriott Plat, 2011 AA EXP->PLT->GLD, 1MM, 2013 Delta Gold
I wish there was availability on my babymoon JFK-BCN flight in two weeks... thank you for all you super generous folks who do this. ^^^ I'll be checking every day up till the last minute... *fingers crossed*

Nevermind:

"Find upgrade availability" doesn't work via website.

Choose the “Price & Schedule” option of the flight search function.
“Systemwide upgrade” will be displayed if there are enough upgrades available on the flight for the number of passengers you are requesting, and you have the appropriate number of upgrades in your account.

Last edited by axlekb; Jan 9, 17 at 9:32 pm Reason: No online visibility.. :-(
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
I have 1-2 to give away too probably

I am pretty sure I will have one or two, or more that I have to give away.

Similar rules, but prefer folks traveling towards the end of Feb and who don't mind waiting till mid-Feb to request them - but if the EF data look good at that point I am happy to waitlist for folks, as C is so rarely available in advance these days.

So, PM me if you think you fit the bill - let me know if C is available now - and I'll try to find the right folks to share them with (based on distance of flights, C availability or likely C availability). I can only do one right now, but may have up to two more if my travel plans fall apart, or if my own SWU's don't clear for me.

Make sure your message includes full itinerary details - PNR, full name, dates, segments, etc, flights for which you want a SWU, etc etc).

Any taxes due (e.g. for flights from UK) are the responsibility of the recipient of the SWU, of course.

David
--
Old Jan 10, 17, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'd love to see stats on how many SWU's expire unused this year vs previous years now that they have limited value domestically too.

I say this, of course, as someone who has really never missed on a SWU request...except that one time it cleared on gameday, then they took it away, then they upgraded others while I "wasn't on the list," then upgraded more people ahead of me because I just requested the upgrade with timestamp "now," only to update my timestamp to say oh sorry we screwed you over but have a nice middle seat in the last row.

Apologies for the digression, I'll probably give a few away too in Feb.
Old Jan 10, 17, 12:32 am

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
alas my akl-lax-ord and back flights in february were booked as codeshares through qantas, its really nice to see tho that there are people who are willing to give those of us that are always at the back end of the plane a chance to see the other end
Old Jan 10, 17, 11:29 am

Programs: AA
I'd love to get in on 2 of these possibly. My wife and I are going on a little babymoon Thursday 1/12- Monday 1/16 to London. Right now there is no C availability on either direction.

What is strange is when I check the EF availability, it shows 20 seats in J (J7 R7 D5 I1) but there only 8 available seats. I've never seen things this way. Usually its the opposite, with a large amount of open seats and little availability in terms of Fare Codes.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help out with a waitlist possibility, I'd love some help! Thanks!

-Ian
Old Jan 10, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gheorge77 View Post

What is strange is when I check the EF availability, it shows 20 seats in J (J7 R7 D5 I1) but there only 8 available seats. I've never seen things this way. Usually its the opposite, with a large amount of open seats and little availability in terms of Fare Codes.

-Ian
That's not how fare buckets work. It's not showing 20 seats available in Business, but rather showing 7 or more as being available.
Old Jan 10, 17, 11:38 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
That's not how fare buckets work. It's not showing 20 seats available in Business, but rather showing 7 or more as being available.
AH, thank you! Everyday I read FT I learn something new.
Old Jan 11, 17, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle View Post
Please read the Wiki on “SWU Giveaways” referenced in this Feb 11, 2016 thread and the posting rules.

It is that time again for my annual SWU (eVIPs/VIP) giveaway. In my Feb 2016 post I stated that I’d have 8 SWUs expiring end of Feb 2017 that I'll not be using as I pay for all my international flights in QF, CX, QR & BA premium class. My SWUs will be handed out in the order requests are received. Please email me or PM me with your request but only after confirming upgrade availability.

Conditions are as follows:

1 Must have available upgrades on your already ticketed flights where 500 mile upgrades cannot be used (basically for use on long-haul international/intercontinental flights). Please verify upgrade availability before requesting SWU(s). Requests for wait listing will not be entertained.

2 Upgrade must be used for economy/coach to premium class upgrade and excludes those who are already in premium class wanting to upgrade to FC.

3 Awardee must be an FT member and upgrade must be for your own use or companion use on same PNR; you must provide PNR, name(s), routing, contact information, and number of SWUs desired for me to apply the SWU to your reservation.

4 Maximum of four will be gifted per PNR so that a couple can upgrade a round trip if all roundtrip upgrades are available.

5 All flights must depart on or before February 28, 2017; you can have a flight departing the night of Feb 28, 2017 and arriving March 1, 2017.

6 Awardees are responsible for all fees associated with upgrades.
You are a gem of a human. I have no flights before 3/1, but I know you will make some other flyers very happy!!
Old Jan 11, 17, 8:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott (Titanium), British Airways (Gold), American Airlines
Wow Row2Aisle,

What a generous offer! I PM'd you the details to see if my schedule works for you. Thanks either way!
Old Jan 11, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
Originally Posted by tofumatt View Post
Wow Row2Aisle,

What a generous offer! I PM'd you the details to see if my schedule works for you. Thanks either way!
You are on BA metal and so upgrades will not work;

Fellow FT requesters; please read my post for eligibility. I'm receiving requests for the SWUs without requester checking for upgrade availability on your flight. If I don't respond to your private PM then you are not eligible.

Note: I've added the additional condition of a minimum number of 50 posts for members to request the SWU as I don't want someone joining FT just for the purpose of obtaining the SWU.

Last edited by ROW2Aisle; Jan 11, 17 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 12, 17, 2:49 pm

@Row2Aisle

That is really kind! Thank you!

Me and my wife will fly AA from Brazil to London via US but no flight is showing C availability. My first flight is GIG-JFK next week, but no day is showing C availability. I will keep monitoring. Thanks! ^
Old Jan 17, 17, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I'll throw in my offer here. I have a few SWU's left, if anyone is traveling internationally on AA then PM me, at worst I can waitlist you for an upgrade using the SWU as you probably know, on quite a few routes C inventory is rarely available in advance. Need to book and fly before 2/28 though.

Last edited by yabadoo; Jan 17, 17 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I didn't do much paid travel last year, so I will have from 2 to 4 SWUs to give away. Since I've been in the non-profit sphere for >10 years now, I will give priority to any FTers who also work for a non-profit.
In any case, PM me and I'll create my own sort of PALL list to see who will get the SWUs.

Mod note: OP has stated that SWUs have been claimed. No need to send any more PMs asking about availability. /JY1024

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 29, 17 at 10:35 am Reason: Mod note added
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From the Wikipost:

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask!

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 17 at 1:55 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: