Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking 2 overlapping flights on a last leg (to merge)

Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC

I bought a return J flight with AA from ARN-MIA-ARN; the last flight of the return segment being HEL-ARN on AY metal. Can I skip that last leg and buy another AY flight (intra EU) leaving from HEL 10 min later than the HEL-ARN flight or will that auto-cancel? If yes, will it help if I don't add any FF# info? There is a huge price difference when putting the other city on the existing booking, even in Q. Thanks for any insights.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book without ff and dob its hard to imagine this autocancelling. Countless people with same name travel at the same time.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you booked the original reservation on the AA website, book the new one on the AY website. Also, you can make a small change in your name - e.g., middle name on one reservation, no middle name on the other. Leave off your FF#, as said above. And finally, if the old reservation has the flight to ARN as an AA codeshare, book the new one with an AY flight number.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Thank you for the advice!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by KipKe
I bought a return J flight with AA from ARN-MIA-ARN; the last flight of the return segment being HEL-ARN on AY metal. Can I skip that last leg and buy another AY flight (intra EU) leaving from HEL 10 min later than the HEL-ARN flight or will that auto-cancel? If yes, will it help if I don't add any FF# info? There is a huge price difference when putting the other city on the existing booking, even in Q. Thanks for any insights.
Does AY charge you to drop the last segment? I seem to recall an FT restriction about circumventing airline policies. I would be cautious about buying a flight on the same carrier as the one you are skipping. While people with the same name can travel on the same day, they usually don't have the same birthdate. That said, this seem to be more of an AY issue than an AA one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.