Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LGA: All AA Flight Consolidation to Terminal B 9 Dec 2017

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
Move to LGA Terminal B Confirmed for December 9, 2017

Press release: http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr....z6jYg7OL.mjjo
Print Wikipost

LGA: All AA Flight Consolidation to Terminal B 9 Dec 2017

Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
There's a schedule (and current construction) to rebuild B. While there are plans to rebuild C/D, I haven't heard anything about a schedule on that and sense (though this is guessing) that it may not happen until after Terminal B is complete. Terminal B will be far better than MAT for facilities, etc. (Obviously the argument about location and ease of use for MAT will continue).

And note that Jetblue, in its press release, plans to move back to B from MAT post-construction.
i don't think jetblue is leaving mat after that unless terminal B turns out to be really amazing. It's just saying that to justify everyone else paying and "forcing" it to relocate during construction time. It's got its own terminal which it can spend money on and renovate and it's got 6 gates (if it manages to get AS slots at some point). Why would it ever move out unless it ends up with an even better situation in terminal b down the road?

imo, AA gets the short end on this. nothing changes for wn and ua. DL and B6 both come out pretty well.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That is some serious spin. According to AA, everything about this is good and nothing is bad.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tennessetom
It is impossible to get in for drop off. The security lines are brutal even with tsa and it is impossible to get picked up.
I fly out of both the C and D concourses regularly and I can't remember the last time I waited more than 5 minutes.

And Terminal C was a gong show security line when I was there a couple weeks ago at night. No Clear = you were screwed.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ty97
If you read this topic in the DL forum, you'll see many lamenting that DL moving the shuttle from MAT to C will make DL uncompetitive. A lot of people unhappy for varying reasons. Either Amtrak is going to see in uptick in travel, or some people are going to deal with the terminal changes.
Acela in F is a fantastic experience. I haven't taken the shuttle in years.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by oopsz
Acela in F is a fantastic experience. I haven't taken the shuttle in years.
Acela in F can also be 2-3 times more expensive than the shuttle. Also, I’ve experienced significant delays (like 3-4 hours while on the train) on Acela a few times in the past 18 months. Currently, I much prefer the shuttle. Even the bus can be more reliable than Acela sometimes
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The Acela rocks. I can walk to Penn Station from my office and have a quick Red Line subway trip in Boston over to Cambridge, and the entire time on the train is productive. I take the Shuttle only when I'm routed on it as a connection from another flight.

I am now going to seriously think about ever flying out of LGA unless the fare is way cheaper than other airports or Amtrak.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The Wi-Fi alone is the reason I don’t do Acela/train.....plus train stations....yuck.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
What makes you think they are going to make major changes to the check-in space? Is suppose they'll have room to spread out by taking over other check in space but I'd be surprised if they use all of it.
I don't see AA customers walking from the check-in by Concourse D to a Concourse A gate and calling it a rewarding customer experience.
samm likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
LGA and 'rewarding customer experience' are not two things generally associated with each other.
salut0, george 3 and samm like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I fly out of both the C and D concourses regularly and I can't remember the last time I waited more than 5 minutes.

And Terminal C was a gong show security line when I was there a couple weeks ago at night. No Clear = you were screwed.
I use LGA with AA about every other week but always in Terminal B. That dinky little precheck queue for D gates in term B. Had my first shuttle route in forever a few days ago in terminal C and was amazed to see:

1) Clear was still a thing
2) Clear cut the massive precheck line

Others upthread have talked about these shuttle routes being really fragile, with business travelers choosing one airline over another due to a 30 min arrival difference. Everything about AA Shuttle in Terminal C was to try to remove the awfulness of LGA. This is no good for shuttles and no good for AA, period.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by samm
I use LGA with AA about every other week but always in Terminal B. That dinky little precheck queue for D gates in term B. Had my first shuttle route in forever a few days ago in terminal C and was amazed to see:

1) Clear was still a thing
2) Clear cut the massive precheck line

Others upthread have talked about these shuttle routes being really fragile, with business travelers choosing one airline over another due to a 30 min arrival difference. Everything about AA Shuttle in Terminal C was to try to remove the awfulness of LGA. This is no good for shuttles and no good for AA, period.
What I would often do when flying the shuttle (Delta or AA) out of Terminal C would be to find line attendant and demand to get let through the "Shuttle" or "Priority" lines. Both AA and Delta advertise special lines only available for Shuttle customers; in reality, these were never offered at Terminal C. In addition, the priority line (for elites of any airline) has been gutted at most airports, especially LGA. Clear actually made some sense in Terminal C depending on your departure time, but I don't want to pay for it.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The Wi-Fi alone is the reason I don’t do Acela/train.....plus train stations....yuck.
South Station and Union Station are both pretty nice. Penn Station is the laggard here.

Acela is awesome when you have time, and you believe the trip can be reliable. As I said earlier, I have suffered some horrific delays on Acela recently. Obviously airplanes get delayed too, but these delays made me mark down the relative reliability of Acela. It's more expensive too.

Amtrak is great for doing trips up to the Hudson Valley, though
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:51 am

I flew out of Terminal B last week for the first time in maybe a year or so on Alaska Airlines (not on American). A few observations:

- TSA Precheck was not available for my "Concourse." Significant downgrade from Terminal C
- Terminal in general was more crowded and less sightly
- Worse of all, corporate car services are not allowed to pick up at Terminal B. You have to take a shuttle to a car waiting area. Added 25 minutes or so to me getting out of LGA when I arrived back

Frankly, American needs to invest a lot of time and money to improve the check in, terminal and departure experience at Terminal B or I will seriously consider switching to Delta out of LGA until the new terminals are built.
​​​​
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
As of now, two agents from Terminal C told me that the Boston and DC shuttles would be moving to concourse D. Anyone hear anything similar?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by Adelphos
- Worse of all, corporate car services are not allowed to pick up at Terminal B. You have to take a shuttle to a car waiting area. Added 25 minutes or so to me getting out of LGA when I arrived back
​​​​
This is correct. Uber and Lyft also have to pick up at the "car waiting area". (After 10pm, they can pick up at Terminal B at the departure level, but people get confused and still go to the "car waiting area" anyhow sometimes.) It's terrible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.