Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Microwave ovens in aircraft galley to heat BYO food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Microwave ovens in aircraft galley to heat BYO food?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Asking if they have microwaves

So, I am a strict vegetarian. Doing a long haul flight in a few weeks. Called AA, they had certain options, but none of them sounded that good to me. We start chatting about random things (tried to charm my way into a Main Cabin Extra for free, didnt work ).

Anyway, I ask her, do those planes have microwaves I can use for meals I buy on land? And she almost freaked out - saying like that would be a safety concern. I guess I didnt think of it that way.

Am I going to get flagged on the trip or anything like that? Also in your experience, do those flights have anything I can use to heat up a meal?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 10, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended

No microwaves, no "flag", and they're not gonna heat your veggie-gruel.
LovePrunes, jacobguo and zpaul like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Lol so Im not going to end up on a no-fly list or something right??? I tend to overreact, but international travel just always has me on edge.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by federernadal
Lol so Im not going to end up on a no-fly list or something right???
No, definitely not.

Microwave ovens heat food through intense radio emission, which as you might expect doesn't tend to play well with radios and navigation systems
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA
"tried to charm my way into a Main Cabin Extra for free"

Lovely.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rjw242
No, definitely not.

Microwave ovens heat food through intense radio emission, which as you might expect doesn't tend to play well with radios and navigation systems
Other airlines have them - and so did TWA in the past. What we would not do is put anyone else's food in the Microwave in case it exploded all over the oven.
JDiver and TWA884 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many aircraft carry microwaves. But, every piece of equiptment is approved, in AA's case by the FAA, and considers emissions and interference and the means undertaken to minimize those.

But, the food safety concern has to do with mixing food not prepared to AA's standards with its own food. Some FA's may still help out and figure out a way to warm something, but they should not.

If you are unable to eat what is offered, you should plan on bringing food which is properly eaten unheated.

Not sure why a vegetarian would be flagged on a No Fly List merely for food choice.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Airlines are pretty wary of random foods from random people which may not be packaged properly and either leak or even catch fire in the (fairly powerful) aircraft ovens.
You can get hot water from the crew, if you want to bring along something which can be rehydrated and warmed yourself (such as the sort of food made from dried grains such as couscous, or dried soup mix - stuff that passes the TSA checkpoint). I've seen people bring their favourite instant noodles and so on (put its sauce packet in your liquids bag when going through security).

Other than that if you can't or won't eat the airline provided food, I suggest bringing along shelf-stable ambient foods to eat.

A polite request to warm things up will not get you into trouble, your request will simply most likely be declined. Of course, going non-linear on the crew over such a request, as with anything else on board an aircraft, will go poorly for you. I'm confident you would not do that.

Last edited by flatlander; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:02 am Reason: clarify how to get into trouble
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Other airlines have them - and so did TWA in the past. What we would not do is put anyone else's food in the Microwave in case it exploded all over the oven.
Interesting, had no idea. Thanks for the correction. ^
PUCCI GALORE and JDiver like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

do those planes have microwaves
I believe American's 787s do have microwaves in the forward-most galley. I was quite surprised to see. Doubtful they would allow use unless you really sweet talk the FA.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 am

So, I am a strict vegetarian. Doing a long haul flight in a few weeks. Called AA, they had certain options, but none of them sounded that good to me. We start chatting about random things (tried to charm my way into a Main Cabin Extra for free, didnt work ).
You can order a special vegetarian meal, so I don't see what the problem is here. Can you imagine the chaos if you had 20 passengers trying to have their individual food heated in the galley? I think this is the correct policy to avoid a "slippery slope". Pax who don't like the regular meals offered don't get the option of heating up their own food.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Anyway, I ask her, do those planes have microwaves I can use for meals I buy on land? And she almost freaked out - saying like that would be a safety concern. I guess I didnt think of it that way.

Am I going to get flagged on the trip or anything like that? Also in your experience, do those flights have anything I can use to heat up a meal?
If the airline provides unsatisfactory meals, whether vegetarian or otherwise, the best policy is "BARF" - bring aboard real food. Dint xpect cabin crew will heat them for you, unless it's to give you hot water to mix in. Some airports may offer catered boxed meals that meet passengers' standards, so a bit of research may be rewarding.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
A properly shielded microwave oven, approved by the appropriate authorities, shouldn't be a problem. After all, aircraft radar also used magnetrons in those days. (The Magnetron was invented in the U.K., but was initially manufactured by the M.I.T. "Rad Lab" for use in aircraft detection and defense during WW II.)
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:45 am

Most all the planes that AA flies now have a weather detecting radar dish in the nose cone under the cockpit. There is a small access panel there. The pilots with a quick zap of the radar use it to keep their coffee warm. If you ask the pilots nicely as you board perhaps they will let you use it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Once in domestic F, the lady next to me asked the FA if they could store her sandwich in the fridge or similar.
The FA politely declined.

I think it is more about not wanting to handle the item or mixing it with the plane catering than with a concern of things exploding or interfering with radio transmissions, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:59 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I'm going to guess they won't heat it for you, but you might find a sympathetic FA who is willing. They heat things in ovens mostly so if your item is wrapped in foil and oven-safe...well, it'd be off-the-book to do it but I have seen FAs heat their OWN brought on board food before.

One thing you might consider to increase the shelf-life of something that otherwise needs refrigerated - freeze it. I do this with sandwiches all the time. Pop them in the freezer and by the time they thaw and I'm ready to eat them on board they're still cool and food-safe. Wouldn't work for a 14-hour flight, but works for the first 1-3 hours. I do egg sandwiches this way on early morning 6am flights, often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.