Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Microwave ovens in aircraft galley to heat BYO food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Microwave ovens in aircraft galley to heat BYO food?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:02 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Once in domestic F, the lady next to me asked the FA if they could store her sandwich in the fridge or similar.
The FA politely declined.

I think it is more about not wanting to handle the item or mixing it with the plane catering than with a concern of things exploding or interfering with radio transmissions, etc.
Surprisingly they don't really have fridges on board, either. Items are chilled (or frozen) with dry ice. Some larger aircraft DO have onboard chillers but I believe that's diverting ice cold outside air into the chiller.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tfjim
Most all the planes that AA flies now have a weather detecting radar dish in the nose cone under the cockpit. There is a small access panel there. The pilots with a quick zap of the radar use it to keep their coffee warm. If you ask the pilots nicely as you board perhaps they will let you use it.
Are you quite sure of that?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
this whole thread makes me laugh for some reason
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Don’t know what OP was wanting to heat in the microwave but some foods can have odors that linger in the cabin and worse, inside the oven, that could be offensive to current and future passengers.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posting so I get a notification when OP comes back and reports he got SSSSed.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Don't some airlines offer to warm up baby bottles? What do they use to do that?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by guv1976
Window and a magnifying glass, usually.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
Stick the bottle in some hot water.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:44 pm

Most all the planes that AA flies now have a weather detecting radar dish in the nose cone under the cockpit. There is a small access panel there. The pilots with a quick zap of the radar use it to keep their coffee warm. If you ask the pilots nicely as you board perhaps they will let you use it.
I so want this to be true. Reminds me of the guys on the paving machine who would stick a meal in foil near the asphalt in the morning to be cooked for lunch.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Hmm. Microwave popcorn anyone?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:54 am

Better hope its not a modern solid state weather radar then..... their power output is typically less than 100W..(25W is not uncommon apparently) ... might take a while to heat that coffee!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:57 pm

Clearly, if the OP will have AC power at his/her seat, the only practical solution is to carry on a tiny microwave oven and heat his/her food with that. 750 watts is so much better than 25. You're welcome.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:16 pm

Ah, how quickly we forget:

The Sun: Exploding Curry

A STEWARDESS caused £20,000 of damage on a jumbo jet — when her curry EXPLODED in a microwave at 35,000ft.

The transatlantic flight from Heathrow carried on to Miami after cabin crew grabbed a fire extinguisher to douse the blazing oven.

Last night British Airways insisted there was no threat to passengers’ safety — although the Boeing 747 needed days of repairs.

The air hostess was heating up a ready meal she bought from a supermarket when the curry exploded. BA has now BANNED staff from using new high-powered microwaves in club class kitchens for non-airline food on its fleet of jumbos.

A secret memo emailed to all BA long-haul crews — entitled “Microwave incident” — warns that grub needs special packaging because the ovens are twice as strong as domestic ones.

It says the incident with the curry had “disastrous consequences”. One BA employee said: “Many cabin crew like to bring their own meals to eat.

“At first we thought the microwaves were a godsend. But this unfortunate incident has left us with egg on our faces.” BA stressed: “At no time was there any danger to passengers or the aircraft.”
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Clearly, if the OP will have AC power at his/her seat, the only practical solution is to carry on a tiny microwave oven and heat his/her food with that. 750 watts is so much better than 25. You're welcome.
This might work a bit better and is very inexpensive:
https://hotlogicmini.com/
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
FWIW, I’ve seen dozens, if not hundreds of FAs heat their own meals. In fact, today I saw one bring up and heat 2 ears of corn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.