Award ticket merging with cash ticket?

Old Oct 6, 17, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
Exactly what are the benefits to merging PNRs? In Irregular Ops, it appears AA will handle the resolution.

I have a similar situation, however with 3 PNRs to merge. Two separate PNRs on award ticket each and one PNR with paid seats both of us on it. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have > 24 layover in LAX on the outbound between the paid ticket and the award ticket.
They can't be merged after the fact so it's moot, but, I certainly disagree that in cases where one -can- be on a single PNR for any given set of flights that there aren't advantages to same-- there most certainly and obviously are.
Old Oct 6, 17, 11:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
. . . I certainly disagree that in cases where one -can- be on a single PNR for any given set of flights that there aren't advantages to same-- there most certainly and obviously are.
I completely agree. And while we're on this general topic, Jon can you clarify whether it is possible to add paid segments to award ticket at the time of its original issue?

With the abysmal domestic award availability of late I'm regularly finding myself having to buy a R/T from Phoenix where I live to wherever in the country I'm flying to/from to connect to an international award. There is so much to be gained by having a single ticket. I've asked before and agents have said it's impossible. True?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 6, 17, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I completely agree. And while we're on this general topic, Jon can you clarify whether it is possible to add paid segments to award ticket at the time of its original issue?

With the abysmal domestic award availability of late I'm regularly finding myself having to buy a R/T from Phoenix where I live to wherever in the country I'm flying to/from to connect to an international award. There is so much to be gained by having a single ticket. I've asked before and agents have said it's impossible. True?
My belief is that there's a policy in place to do exactly that-- combine award travel with paid in a single PNR at time of booking.
Old Oct 6, 17, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I'm not Jon but I can also confirm that this is definitely possible. Finding an agent competent enough to do this is another challenge entirely.
Old Oct 6, 17, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
Exactly what are the benefits to merging PNRs? In Irregular Ops, it appears AA will handle the resolution.
Checking bags through, among many others. AA may still officially protect separate PNR misconnects, but many (most?) other airlines so not.
Old Oct 7, 17, 12:21 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
I'm not Jon but I can also confirm that this is definitely possible. Finding an agent competent enough to do this is another challenge entirely.
Unfortunately, I didn't get one of those at ORD the other day as I had a return segment on an LAX-ORD-LAX ticket and was going to DEN on a separate ticket, with a 3 hr layover at LAX. Both were rev tickets-my small contribution to Parker's "we'll never lose money again" campaign. Had to collect my bags at LAX-the worst AA baggage service location as it takes them forever to return the bags and there's always some new damage to the bag-and recheck to DEN. Of course, the check in agent at ORD didn't even try to combine as she just remarked that that option was eliminated some time ago. Right. No HUCA available.
Old Oct 7, 17, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't get one of those at ORD the other day as I had a return segment on an LAX-ORD-LAX ticket and was going to DEN on a separate ticket, with a 3 hr layover at LAX. Both were rev tickets-my small contribution to Parker's "we'll never lose money again" campaign. Had to collect my bags at LAX-the worst AA baggage service location as it takes them forever to return the bags and there's always some new damage to the bag-and recheck to DEN. Of course, the check in agent at ORD didn't even try to combine as she just remarked that that option was eliminated some time ago. Right. No HUCA available.
You're talking about checking bags across separate PNRs at the airport, which AA expressly eliminated. We're talking about combining award+revenue tickets into one PNR at the time of purchase, not travel. Apples and oranges.
Old Oct 7, 17, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
OT but don't try PHX if you find LAX bad. Last trip, I was able to disembark (row 10), use the restroom, get to baggage claim, find the off-airport parking shuttle, wait my turn to be dropped at my car, and pay for the parking, before the bags arrived (my wife had agreed to wait behind for it). And some damage that we didn't notice until we got home, which has been reported but I'm afraid they might try to drop liability.