Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Dynamic Reaccom Allows Limited Self-Reaccommodation in IROPS / OSO

AA Dynamic Reaccom Allows Limited Self-Reaccommodation in IROPS / OSO

Old Jan 22, 16, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA allowing limited self-reaccommodation in IROPS / OSO

As quoted by Gary Leff in View From the Boarding Area (30 Sep 2017) JonNYC has publicized AA now allows self-reaccommodation in OSO / IROPS Conditions. LINK

The feature is called "Dynamic Reaccom" and allows affected passengers who have opted in to flight notifications to self-book alternate flights - ONCE - using the app, website or kiosk, to other AA / Eagle flights.

Once a flight has been cancelled, a passenger would receive a message similar to “AA 412 was cancelled. You can choose between the following flights.” Available flights would then follow. Link to article 1 Oct 2017 by Paul Riegler, Frequent Business Traveler.
Using the Dynamic Reaccommodation tool will reveal alternate flights (eventually including alternate and co-terminal airports within 50 miles) in your class of service or lower you can select - ONCE. (Once your "SSR" designation has been corrected by rerouting, it's gone. Further changes must be done by phone or at a counter.)

Your ticket will be renewed immediately, and if you're within the chosen flight's check-in window you'll be able to do that even as your checked bags are automatically redirected. If you've chosen a lower class of service, the refund will also be processed automatically.

There are categories of people who won't be able to do that - those with cabin or checked pets, on awards, on multiple airlines, etc. See the linked article for further details.

See the graphic below for detailed policy.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This was posted originally in the OSO / IROPS "often a sticky", but as a Moderator I feel this is of broader interest and have started a thread to discuss it further.

/Moderator

It seems to me DL did this initially, so this time it's a good thing to "borrow".
JonNYC and 50ae like this.
Old Oct 3, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
This was posted originally in the OSO / IROPS "often a sticky", but as a Moderator I feel this is of broader interest and have started a thread to discuss it further.

/Moderator

It seems to me DL did this initially, so this time it's a good thing to "borrow".
I don't have experience with DL, but I've heard good things. UA also has a pretty functional app that handles it just fine as well. Better late then never, but this is something AA needs to catch up on.
Old Oct 3, 17, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I don't have experience with DL, but I've heard good things. UA also has a pretty functional app that handles it just fine as well. Better late then never, but this is something AA needs to catch up on.
My experience with DL was that during massive IRROPs the self-rebooking tool was worthless (likely because there were no alternative flights with availability that met the system's parameters).
But I have read decent things about run-of-the-mill (e.g., more limited) cancellations.
Old Oct 3, 17, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I don't have any experience using Delta's during mass cancellations, but I've had delayed flights and was able to simply re-book myself. Glad to see AA is implementing this.

As an aside, how come airlines can only change award tickets on the phone/at the counter, not on the website/app?
Old Oct 3, 17, 6:55 pm
Suspended

I've had several really outstanding experiences with DL's version (offering a wide selection of several flights more desirable than what I had,) and incredible simplicity and clarity of use. It's fantastic in my experience.

I tend to doubt AA's will be quite as good, but clearly a great and much needed implementation.
Old Oct 3, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post

As an aside, how come airlines can only change award tickets on the phone/at the counter, not on the website/app?
Probably because AA hasn't implement the feature yet. There are airlines who currently allow online/mobile change of award reservations.

Airlines had reservation systems before they had online and mobile apps. The online/mobile part is not something that magically appears out of nowhere. A group of people would have to implement, test, and validate the feature before it can be deployed.
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes the dynamic reaccom tool gives options in F when booked in Y. Does choosing this option change the underlying booking code of your ticket?

The other week my 10:10am LAX-SFO flight in Y was cancelled the day beforehand and I was given several other Y options, along with an option for the 11pm in J. I chose the 11pm in J and was instantly able to SDFC to the 8am and get the last open seat onboard. I wouldn't have expected SDFC to work if my ticket wasn't changed to J, D, R, or I -- so am curious what happens with the dynamic reaccom tool internally and how it affects the underlying ticket.

Search this Thread