Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Targeted promo] Triple miles when flying four AA flights through Jan 7, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*

Couldn't find discussion of this in search and received this e-mail offer today. Here's the T&C's:

Terms and Conditions

*Eligible airlines include American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines, as well as eligible codeshare flights.

This is an exclusive offer only for members who received this email directly from American Airlines. You must register by 11:59 pm CDT on October 19, 2017 and prior to travel in order for your flights to count toward this promotion. Flights completed prior to registration are not eligible for the triple miles offer.

Qualification for the triple miles offer applies to flights on eligible, purchased, published fare tickets on select airlines between the date you register and January 7, 2018.

Upon meeting the required number of eligible flight segments, AAdvantage triple mile offer will apply to all eligible American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, and Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights for travel flown between registration date and January 7, 2018.

Travel flown prior to registration for this promotion is not eligible for the triple mile offer. Bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status. Triple miles will be calculated at 200% of the base miles earned.

---------------

My main question concerns the bolded, eligible flight segments. It sounds to me that the four flight segments required don't require separate tickets or purchases, rather flying specific segments. As example, I've got a one-way with three segments booked in F for mid-month Oct. It's only one ticket but three flight segments. Does that count for three of four segments or do I misunderstand?

Anyone else get this?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Mine is for double mileage and I have to fly 8 segments instead of 4.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I haven't flown much for miles since they rejiggered the frequent flier programs so my mileage allocation skills are a bit rusty. In this promotion when they talk about 200% of the base miles earned, are they talking about award miles earned for the segments or some other metric, like actual miles flown per segment? As example, award miles for the ticket in mid-October will apparently be five per dollar for my no-status BIS, so about 3500 miles based on the ticket price for the three segments. Actual miles flown would be somewhat less. I guess I've lost focus on what 'base miles' are
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by camachinist
I haven't flown much for miles since they rejiggered the frequent flier programs so my mileage allocation skills are a bit rusty. In this promotion when they talk about 200% of the base miles earned, are they talking about award miles earned for the segments or some other metric, like actual miles flown per segment? As example, award miles for the ticket in mid-October will apparently be five per dollar for my no-status BIS, so about 3500 miles based on the ticket price for the three segments. Actual miles flown would be somewhat less. I guess I've lost focus on what 'base miles' are
AA ticketed flights will be on price; except for special fare, which is based on a percentage of miles flown.

Other partners you mentioned above ticketed flights will be on a percentage of miles flown.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by chenalex
Mine is for double mileage and I have to fly 8 segments instead of 4.
Mine was worded as double mileage and six times.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:50 pm

Double miles and 6 times. I'm assuming it's per flight?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
AA ticketed flights will be on price; except for special fare, which is based on a percentage of miles flown.

Other partners you mentioned above ticketed flights will be on a percentage of miles flown.
Cool, thanks. Once unlocked with the fourth segment, then retroactive 200% bonus of base miles awarded on price of the upcoming ticket on AA, in my case 5 miles per ticket dollar, exclusive of taxes and fees. Other itineraries per their terms. 690 x 5 + (690 x 5 x 2) = 10,350. No effect on EQS or EQD.

Was a bit surprised to see this. Figured the airlines were flush with demand and didn't need any promos. Almost deleted it
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by camachinist
Cool, thanks. Once unlocked with the fourth segment, then retroactive 200% bonus of base miles awarded on price of the upcoming ticket on AA, in my case 5 miles per ticket dollar, exclusive of taxes and fees. Other itineraries per their terms. 690 x 5 + (690 x 5 x 2) = 10,350. No effect on EQS or EQD.

Was a bit surprised to see this. Figured the airlines were flush with demand and didn't need any promos. Almost deleted it
If your calculation of eligible fares is correct (and this does not fall into special fare or partner ticketed AA operated flight), there you go. And my understanding is segment is just segment, not a trip. Four-segment requirement is fairly easy to achieve.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by carolnl
Double miles and 6 times. I'm assuming it's per flight?
I think so. As with the OP, the fine print in my email says:

Upon meeting the required number of eligible flight segments ...
I thought "six times" was a funny way to word the offer.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
My offer was for double miles with no additional segment requirement in the T&Cs. Searched up and down and couldn't find it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522
My offer was for double miles with no additional segment requirement in the T&Cs. Searched up and down and couldn't find it.
Me too. I haven’t credited a mile to AA since January; switched to AS late last year.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Can anyone share the promo code? I'd like to try it just in case I missed the email. I'm heading to Asia next week and would love double or triple miles!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Did the email come from "American Airlines" or "American Airlines AAdvantage"?

I never get targeted for anything. Boo, hoo.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
A good data point for this thread is for those of you who were offered the promo could provide your status level. Some have it in the bio but others do not. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
Did the email come from "American Airlines" or "American Airlines AAdvantage"?

I never get targeted for anything. Boo, hoo.

In my case, both the solicitation and the confirmation of registration came from this address:americanairlines - at -email.aa.com

For clarity, I haven't had any elite status with AA since 2014 and have had one paid flight with them this year, in F, and have another booked in a couple weeks and made the reservation months ago. So, the 'kettle' in my bio is pretty accurate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.