Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Class Blankets (Can passengers take them?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Blankets (Can passengers take them?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:58 pm

There was a Braniff commercial years ago that showed an old lady putting the silverware and a blanket and a bottle of booze in her huge purse while the announcer said something about they didn't object to passengers taking a memento of their trip, but please not to overdo it - while the video showed the old lady on a tug pulling away a 747! Not sure it sold any tickets but it probably cost them some pilfered items and it sure was funny and memorable.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I find it hard to believe what I am reading. So taking the blanket is OK is the FA says it is. Candidly I find that hard to believe but let's imagine that she did more fool her - she's not paying for it. So, it's OK to take the crockery, the cutlery, the glasses - who know the toilet rolls? A bar trolley?
While I'd never take one myself, I have heard FAs the passengers that they could take them before (as well as other passengers on different occasions being told they could not). A lot of people do seem to ask the FAs, which seems to be a logical course of action if you're not sure. While I don't really have any desire for one at home, I can understand how some people could be confused, especially if they're not frequent flyers -- I mean, AA doesn't really tell you what you can and can't take, so someone with no experience could be confused -- you can take the pajamas and the amenity kit, but not the blanket? You can take the fake silverware, but not the real glasses or the headset. You can take the AA magazine but not the emergency safety briefing card. I mean, it seems kind of common sense, but it could be a lot for an inexperienced flyer to deal with all at once.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by skylady
Asking for a friend, why would anybody take the blankets?
At the charitable end of the spectrum, I'd imagine some people just want souvenirs. However, for an item like this I would have checked. Not sure about AA and duvets, but an airline might offer to sell you one, like hotels do for their good stuff.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:13 am

My comments in BLUE.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I find it hard to believe what I am reading. So taking the blanket is OK is the FA says it is. Candidly I find that hard to believe but let's imagine that she did more fool her - she's not paying for it. So, it's OK to take the crockery, the cutlery, the glasses - who know the toilet rolls? A bar trolley?

Absolutely, if the FA says so. We must follow all crew-member instructions; who wants to be met by police for refusing to take a toilet roll?

J. Diver will I suspect confirm that we come from a time when no one would dream of such a thing - so for the record I will say this. It is stealing as that blanket belongs to American Airlines and not to you.

Ah, time travelers from many centuries ago.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
More than 10 years ago, AA domestic FC had nice comfortable blankets made of blue and red threads. In a cost-cutting move, they replaced them with solid red itchy scratchy blankets. After the replacement program started, I was on a flight with the old blankets. We mentioned how nice it was to see the older blankets and we asked if they were coming back. The flight attendant said that just as soon as the plane lands in DFW, ALL of the old blankets will be discarded and the plane will be re-stocked with the awful new blankets. So, if we ever want to see the former blankets ever again, we need to take them with us (and save AA the cost of discarding them).

And that's why I have two of the nice comfortable blankets from yesteryear.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
BTW there's no need to steal blankets and duvets from the airplane. You can buy them on eBay instead.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have a couple of AA business class blankets, but they were taken as mistakes (i.e. I put the blanket in a bag to get it out of the way and I forgot they were in there when I deplaned).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:26 am

Lots of people on FT like to brag about FAs giving them bottles of wine to take home. Unless they are actually allowed to give away wine, which I doubt, accepting an offer of a blanket is no different.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by will2288
Lots of people on FT like to brag about FAs giving them bottles of wine to take home. Unless they are actually allowed to give away wine, which I doubt, accepting an offer of a blanket is no different.
years ago, EZE-JFK in J, the Purser/FA noticed that we liked the Malbec they were serving. As we deplaned, he handed us 3 unopened bottles wrapped in a J blanket (the older red/blue one, not the duvet). Since I was raised to never decline a gift, we accepted. The blanket is still used in the dog's bed.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
BTW there's no need to steal blankets and duvets from the airplane. You can buy them on eBay instead.
Absolutely. Have someone else steal them and put on eBay.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Taking blankets is child's play. I always take one of those free toilet seats home with me. If I'm thirsty, I'll snag the drinks cart too.
aktchi likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swingaling
Taking blankets is child's play. I always take one of those free toilet seats home with me. If I'm thirsty, I'll snag the drinks cart too.
Protip: the emergency slide will be a massive hit at your next beach party.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Protip: the emergency slide will be a massive hit at your next beach party.
Now that is funny!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If I am not wrong I think LAN has an alarm tag on theirs.
LAN can't even get their web site to work...
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Announcement, paraphrased, prior to landing in HKG yesterday:

FA: If you liked the polaris bedding and blankets we're very pleased, but please leave all items onboard when you deplane.
aktchi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.