Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

just a rant.. booking time on phone, gift cards, voucher issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

just need a safe place to rant after wasting 45 mins of my time with AA..

booking 4 tickets from TPA to CLT..

so first issue is the cost, $310/person, which is justifiable because they are the only option for the nonstop flight. cool.

now i had purchased a ticket a few months back on a flight that got rescheduled enough to where i had to purchase tickets on a different carrier and after months of calls they finally issued me a travel voucher for $200. i also have two gift cards that i wanted to use. to use the voucher you have to call in. ok so i call and after 15 mins of wait i get an agent who informs me she cant combine the voucher, gift cards, and CC. this is after 15 mins of information gathering for all 4 passengers. not her fault

ok thats fine, lets use the voucher, forget the gift cards. cool. now she informs me that i have to mail in the voucher??! what is this, the 19th century?? who uses mail?? it just seems like AA is on a mission to make it as difficult as possible to use this damn voucher..

ok so lets stick to the gift cards.. now she confirms all the information again and we are about to finalize the transaction when the numbers dont add up. "yes sir, i have to charge you a $25/passenger fee to book over the phone and i cant waive it". so before i lost my cool i thanked her for her time and told her that i will book online...

so thats my saga. thank you for listening. i just spent ~$1300 for 4 1.5hr tickets that are in basic economy as well. thanks for listening. i feel better
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the flights can't be booked online, the service fee should be waived.

You could have spent a few minutes in this forum, because there are extensive threads on that, using gift cards, vouchers...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
If the flights can't be booked online, the service fee should be waived.
the voucher cant be used online. but once i found out you cant combine voucher and gift card we removed the voucher. you would think that they have some leeway to waive the service fee in a situation like this..
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by omaralt
ok thats fine, lets use the voucher, forget the gift cards. cool. now she informs me that i have to mail in the voucher??! what is this, the 19th century?? who uses mail?? it just seems like AA is on a mission to make it as difficult as possible to use this damn voucher..
Wow, still? I'm glad I haven't had to use a voucher recently.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is another way to use vouchers, might not work for all, but I've used it and has saved me some extra fees. Go to the airport and redeem directly at the ticket counter, no need to mail it in. Granted, I work close to the airport and can be dropped off or take a shuttle. As for the voucher and GC issue, you could have done 2 reservations, one pay with voucher, the other with the GC. It's sad that with all this advancements AA is stucked in the 70's technologically. Sometimes I feel that AA should publish an instruction manual on how to do business with them, because even their own reps don't even know how to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.