Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2 award tickets for one person, different dates?

Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist

I have a ticket for my aunt to return in November. She is requesting to stay longer in the USA with an I-539. As part of the documentation they want a return ticket.

Am I breaking any AA rules for having 2 return tickets? One in November and one in December. If she is granted the extension, I would cancel the November. If she is not granted an extension, I would cancel the December?

Follow up question, when I cancel 1 of the tickets, would the miles redeposit to my account?

Last edited by nutwpinut; Sep 24, 2017 at 6:33 pm Reason: added follow up question.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Someone else can chime in on what the exact legal terms are, but I'm pretty sure that it is against AA conditions of carriage to buy/redeem tickets that you do not have intention of using. That said, AA's enforcement mechanism for this rule--auto-cancellation of duplicate itineraries--only applies for duplicate itineraries that are physically impossible for the same person to fly, i.e. BOS-LAX one morning and another BOS-LAX that early afternoon. Your aunt's itineraries shouldn't fall under this umbrella based on your description.

I presume both tickets are being issued using miles from your account. As long as you are EXP at the time of the cancellation request, the miles will be redeposited for free.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:20 pm

There is no problem with this. My sister is visiting in November and I originally booked her two returns because our plans hadn't firmed up yet. Once they did, I cancelled the ticket we didn't need.

In my experience, duplicate reservations only get kicked out if you have two reservations for the same passenger on the same exact flight.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DFW DL
In my experience, duplicate reservations only get kicked out if you have two reservations for the same passenger on the same exact flight.
Or flights close enough together such that it is physically impossible for that same passenger to be on both flights.
deeruck likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:32 am

If you're using miles for the tickets, you can change the date/time without a fee. Just book the November return, and if she can stay longer, change it to a later date.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I have a ticket for my aunt to return in November. She is requesting to stay longer in the USA with an I-539. As part of the documentation they want a return ticket.

Am I breaking any AA rules for having 2 return tickets? One in November and one in December. If she is granted the extension, I would cancel the November. If she is not granted an extension, I would cancel the December?

Follow up question, when I cancel 1 of the tickets, would the miles redeposit to my account?
You need to request the redeposit. For an EXP there is no fee, other pay $150.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.