Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by a certain date / the end of the year / to (re)qualify.

See here for the 2019-2020 thread.

Earning status:

Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com

Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

If you have not received a buy back offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year as well as earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollar spend. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn during 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019. You must fly to earn; There’s no way to earn EQ instruments for yourself flying someone else or no-showing for a purchased flight.

See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Renewing status:

AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? AA has the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fall short of requalifying by stipulated levels.

2018 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program for Status year 2019[/URL][/B][/U].

NOTES:

• Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.) But watch those Basic Economy fares!

• Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.

• One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is a minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)

• EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles, GiftMiles or the offer you get when buying a ticket or checking in.

• If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

• Two AAdvantage credit cards award EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card and the Barclaycard Aviator Silver offer EQM at certain spend points, and the latter offers EQD offset. See your current card benefits for the amounts. (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) The Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.

• AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.

Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

Some links to resources and tools:

Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum[/B]

For the 2016 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" master thread

For the 2015 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

The transaction date is what AA counts for account activity purposes, not the posting date.

Be aware of the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing.

Those concerned about earning of retaining status are seeking Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) to earn in the current calendar year. For that or EQ Segments, see 2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Others are looking for Award or Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (previously occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
● using Barclays, CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; see the AA credit cards page here. There are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.

● in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here

● shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here (iTunes for a few miles)

● buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:53 am

get 51 miles quickly

Hi,
I need 51 AAdvantage miles to get to a round 7000 miles which I'll transfer to my brother's account to book an award ticket. I have an award ticket on hold waiting for the miles. what's the fastest cost effective way to get these 51 miles to my AAdvatage account?

Thanks,
Harel
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ShortDog
I think it's actually six.
ShortDog is right, there are 6 SWU’s at stake if I don’t earn that last EQD.

I agree that groveling to AA would not guarantee that I get it, so the recommendation to find the cheapest ticket to anywhere is sound.

Luckily, I had one last work trip that just popped up, so I will be good. Just amazed that I landed exactly $1 short. What are the odds.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Harel Dror
Hi,
I need 51 AAdvantage miles to get to a round 7000 miles which I'll transfer to my brother's account to book an award ticket. I have an award ticket on hold waiting for the miles. what's the fastest cost effective way to get these 51 miles to my AAdvatage account?

Thanks,
Harel
Buy them or fly one segment. Other ways are more cost effective but not as fast.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Buy 1,000 for $29.50. Can't fly anywhere cheaper than that.

https://buymiles.americanairlines.co..._MPG_EN,US_BUY
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
The fastest is buying as noted above. Also, transferring 7,000 miles will cost you $87.5 fees ($15 processing charge, $102.5 total).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that it costs $102.50 to transfer 7,000 miles and $61.71 USD to purchase 1000 miles, giving a total cost of $164.21 , it would seem easier and better value to just buy 7000 for the person for a cost of $251.99
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Thank you very much guys.
since I only need 51 miles, is there a link a or promotion that can work?
maybe Dining program website or the survey website or something I can tweet on social media that will get me these 51 miles?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
not being overly familiar with AA's program so i apologize if out of line, but is there a shopping portal you can hit?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
maybe Dining program website or the survey website or something I can tweet on social media that will get me these 51 miles?
Miles for Opinions: https://www.milesforopinions.com/signup

There is a 250 miles sign-up bonus, but it usually takes a couple of days to post.

If you earn 50 more miles (300 total) doing surveys, you could earn the 500 mile AA Holiday promotion bonus: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...onus-miles.jsp
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
UPDATE:

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Due to a windfall of 11000 EQMs I am now going to be just 1750 short of gaining 2 extra SWUs, which I reckon as having a $350 value each (copay for a miles upgrade basically). ...
Thanks for any assistance
Well no-one ever replied with any better thoughts, but as it turned out IRROPS on my return flights led to me getting 1875 extra EQMs on the way back from my trip and so I reached 150000 EQMs without having to take any extra flights.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are tons of free or cheaper ways to get 51 miles, but virtually none of these would be guaranteed to hit your account within the time frame you need (less than 5 days for an award hold, I presume).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Miles for Opinions: https://www.milesforopinions.com/signup

There is a 250 miles sign-up bonus, but it usually takes a couple of days to post.

If you earn 50 more miles (300 total) doing surveys, you could earn the 500 mile AA Holiday promotion bonus: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...onus-miles.jsp
Like JJeffrey said, it won't come in time. AA shopping could get you 50 miles easily, but miles won't be posted in 5 days in most case.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To those whose posts were merged into,this existing thread, please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator

Other than purchasing, gifting or donating miles, not much is apt to post within 2-3 days.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:01 am

Need Help! End of the Year Mileage Run Options Needed

Hello experts,

This is my first post on Flyertalk, so I'm excited to hear what feedback I get. In this post, I am interested in finding out what are my options to meet 13,564 miles on American Airlines by end of the year to qualify for Platinum Pro status. Also should I bother spending my own money to fly between Dec 25 - 29th to qualify for the next tier? My home base is Chicago.

Introduction - Throughout the year, I fly for work so I accumulated 61,436 Elite Qualifying Miles on American Airlines. I am seeking guidance on my cost/benefit on spending my own money to qualify Platinum Pro by flying a round trip somewhere for cheaply and painlessly.

Ask - Do you know any destination or method of search for the destination that would enable me to meet my goal of meeting Platinum Pro status? Any creative ways to accomplish the goals? Is AA's Platinum Pro even worth chasing (i'm only interested in complimentary domestic upgrades)?

Current thinking - I could fly to Asia (Hong Kong, Shanghai) or something for approximately $1300 - $1500. Open to other destinations.

Thank you for any ideas.

Ranz1022
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by ranz1022
Hello experts,

This is my first post on Flyertalk, so I'm excited to hear what feedback I get. In this post, I am interested in finding out what are my options to meet 13,564 miles on American Airlines by end of the year to qualify for Platinum Pro status. Also should I bother spending my own money to fly between Dec 25 - 29th to qualify for the next tier? My home base is Chicago.

Introduction - Throughout the year, I fly for work so I accumulated 61,436 Elite Qualifying Miles on American Airlines. I am seeking guidance on my cost/benefit on spending my own money to qualify Platinum Pro by flying a round trip somewhere for cheaply and painlessly.

Ask - Do you know any destination or method of search for the destination that would enable me to meet my goal of meeting Platinum Pro status? Any creative ways to accomplish the goals? Is AA's Platinum Pro even worth chasing (i'm only interested in complimentary domestic upgrades)?

Current thinking - I could fly to Asia (Hong Kong, Shanghai) or something for approximately $1300 - $1500. Open to other destinations.

Thank you for any ideas.

Ranz1022
Welcome to FT!

At this point it's a little late to take advantage of OW Partners, as most of them are usually busy and have increased fare in Dec. Next year I would plan ahead of time, and pay attention to your EQD as 75k EQM alone do not give you PP status.

Try CX PE to Asia, or QR J (not sure if sales are available now, try to search on the premium MR forum) to Qatar, or BA PE.

I tried to do a couple dummy booking on CX PE (SIN/PEK/PVG), but unfortunately can't find any within your price range. (~$3K for turnaround trip). IMO, PP is not worth it, especially at a hub like ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.