Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "One beverage policy"--BS or real?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by spsDC
I voluntarily let my ExPlat status lapse last year...
Well, that's when you forfeited your free glass of water; I am working on CK so I can snag two glasses.

Seriously, report the guy. Make your complaint brief and to the point.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 22, 2017 at 12:32 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
Flight attendant here... absolutely complain! That person should not be a FA. I worked with someone like that last week and hated every minute of it. It was embarrassing. There is absolutely no rule prohibiting more than one drink.
Twohitwonder. Thank you for your honesty and coming on here. Great work.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Twohitwonder. Thank you for your honesty and coming on here. Great work.
We're benefitting from a "twofer" here: skylady and Twohitwonder are FAs who tell it like it is.
deeruck, aktchi, josmul123 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, this route is flown by a combination of Envoy and Republic flights. There's currently no AA mainline on it. I'm guessing OP doesn't really pay attention to such things, but regional FA's tend to be a bit of a mixed bag. There are some pretty good ones, but I've also experienced some really bad ones.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So consistent in their inconsistency!! Was it an American Eagle flight, not that it's an excuse?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I usually ask for 2-3 drinks on my domestic flights in Y on AA, UA and B6. Never been denied it.

So this is utter BS.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:59 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Gig103
not that it's an excuse?
Well the only excuse there I think of is short flying time, but then again why would they provide service to begin with.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spsDC
He gave me some pretzels and I asked politely for "water with no ice and ginger ale please." He replied "You can only have one beverage sir".
I've heard this enough on Southwest recently that I can actually believe it's Southwest policy. 'We can't serve you seconds until we've served everyone else on the plane.' Really - as if they might run out of water. It takes as much time to explain/argue the point as it does to pour a cup of water.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think I would have had a little fun with this.

"I'm sorry, I'm unclear what this means. Are you saying I get one type of beverage per serving? Can I switch to a different beverage later in the flight or am I locked into ginger ale for the duration of the flight? For my next beverage, should I ring the call button or come get you in the galley?"
aktchi likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Do any airlines employ undercover auditors to access the cabin performances? This is seriously embarrassing that he would deny you two drinks. FA's who act like that have zero reason to be doing the job they do.

I hope you complained to AA on twitter. I gave a shout out to an agent once who really went the extra mile for me, and about an hour or so later when I saw them again they said they appreciated the kind words. Apparently AA quickly fwd the tweet to the stations GM and they commended the worker quickly. It was a small station but still, word traveled quite fast there.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Assuming this is a regional carrier, I've had several otherwise pleasant and competent FAs state some off-the-wall policies totally earnestly. My guess is that training is pretty poor from most regional carriers. Plus, for 50-seater FAs, you have no feedback mechanism on the job. Most FAs at least compare notes about policies with the 1-3 other FAs they work with on each flights, but CRJ/ERJ FAs don't have that opportunity.

A complaint is still completely warranted, but I'm just suggesting that this may not have been pure laziness--this FA could have misunderstood a trainer once (or been misinformed by a bad trainer) and never been corrected.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Not on any AA flight I've been on. The only exception is when NO beverages are available due to flight conditions.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Do any airlines employ undercover auditors to access the cabin performances? This is seriously embarrassing that he would deny you two drinks. FA's who act like that have zero reason to be doing the job they do.
I've read elsewhere that some airlines have their flight service managers "ghost ride" to evaluate FA performance, but I don't know if AA is one of those carriers.

The only reason I can see an FA rationing drinks like that is if the flight is double catered or was otherwise provisioned incorrectly and the drinks on board have to last the whole roundtrip, but it's still no excuse for the FA to invent a policy.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Does this mean this BS FA will also sell you only one alcoholic beverage thus denying AA revenue. Lazy sack of siht.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Yep, that is total BS. A bad FA with a chip on their shoulder, which is awful because it makes the other, fantastic FA's look bad by association. Definitely report it.

Also not that it matters, but LGA-DTW is either Republic, Envoy, or an E190 depending on the day/time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.