Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lax to hkg in f - any reason to switch from cx to aa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAL EXP

All, I am booked on CX in F flying from LAX to BKK via HKG in January. I have flown this trip a number of times and have been very happy with CX service and seat. I've noticed that F milesaaver seats tend to open up on AA's LAX-HKG flight a few days before departure. Other than wi-fi on board (which is a definite plus), any other reasons to consider switching to AA (assuming a milesaaver seat is open)? Flights leave around the same time and there is sufficient time for my connection to BKK. To my understanding, lounge access is the same. I've flown AA in first on the 777W before (most recently to London last month) and seat/service was fine, but I have not flown AA to HKG. I am inclined to stay with CX but if there is reason to consider changing to AA, love to hear your thoughts?

Thank you.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Unless you need the wi-fi to get work done, I'd stay with CX. You will have better odds of good service from the CX flight crew.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:19 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
If it were in business I'd say it's a wash between CX and AA (with a possible nod to AA, as they provide pajamas and nicer turndown service than CX and I also like the food better on AA, lately).

But in F it's a no-brainer - stick with CX. Far superior in all regards to the AA F, especially the wash kits and meals.
get0ffdanutzz likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
CX for F for sure - I would also pick CX in J because I am partial to the burger ;-), but I would agree with dll it pretty much is a wash.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek
CX for F for sure - I would also pick CX in J because I am partial to the burger ;-), but I would agree with dll it pretty much is a wash.
Couldn't agree more. ^
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
CX or JL F every time.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
yes cx makes a mean burger!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
yes cx makes a mean burger!
Is the burger a euphemism for something or are you actually referring to the burger? I've never found the CX burger to be particularly great... -_-'
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, CX F unless you *really* need WiFi.
In addition to what's been said, the seat and the cabin are much more private on CX vs. AA.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
If you need to work the AA F seat + Wi-Fi is better suited for that purpose. Should you also be flying with someone else, the ability to swivel the middle seats to face each other during meals etc. is also a nice feature.

Otherwise, CX it is!
bobovespa likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
No one *needs* WiFi on a flight. Hard stop.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:16 pm

OMG... CX hands down.... Have you had a steak in CX F? It is better than many specialty steak houses in USA.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
OMG... CX hands down.... Have you had a steak in CX F? It is better than many specialty steak houses in USA.
Mental note.... Don't go to any speciality steak houses recommended by Centurion.

Perhaps they just don't like me and give me the bad steaks they have?!?
cfo314 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
No one *needs* WiFi on a flight. Hard stop.
I have had situations in which I would not have been able to fly if the flight did not have wifi. I think that counts as needing wifi on a flight. Hard stop.

Originally Posted by Centurion
When you say "specialty steak houses" I assume you're referring to Outback and not a real steak house.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAL EXP
Good comments

Thank you for your comments - you have confirmed CX is, by almost every measure, the better choice for F and I will proceed in that direction. While wifi is certainly an advantage, maybe 15 hours without emails is a good thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.