Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it possible: 1 PNR with 1 awrd+1 paid leg non Oneworld

Is it possible: 1 PNR with 1 awrd+1 paid leg non Oneworld

Old Sep 14, 17, 9:40 am
  #1  
m44
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Programs: USAir
Posts: 429
Is it possible: 1 PNR with 1 awrd+1 paid leg non Oneworld

Is it possible to have e.g.:
Single PNR that contains 1 award return ticket on Oneworld and 1 paid ticket on a non-alliance flight to catch the Oneworld flight back?
I need to go USA to Europe roundtrip (any connections without sleep over):
USA-European hub-Europe endpoint - all on OneWorld. There is no direct Oneworld flights to the endpoint.
But the return in one day is not possible because there is no way to get out of the endpoint city on Oneworld flight to catch any connection to USA on Oneworld.
In fact, after being spoiled in Europe access in StarAlliance - the Oneworld really is bad beyond belief. And yes- Air Berlin sucks on all counts, and so does Iberia.
So the only solution is BA or AA. And we all know how LHR works and I cannot wait for Brexit to complete the misery.
The protection of interlining, baggage allowance and interruptions is obviously critical.
Any hope there of how to do it right.
m44 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,191
AA won't combine paid+award non-oneworld flights onto one PNR AFAIK. Having said that, if you post details of where you're actually trying to go, it'll be obviously easier to help.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago / Hong Kong
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ex-AA EXP; ex-UA 1K; ex-DL Platinum
Posts: 130
Call in. I seriously doubt it. Award and revenue tix are from different inventories.
UltraSean is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:14 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,821
Originally Posted by m44 View Post
Is it possible to have e.g.:
Single PNR that contains 1 award return ticket on Oneworld and 1 paid ticket on a non-alliance flight to catch the Oneworld flight back?
I need to go USA to Europe roundtrip (any connections without sleep over):
USA-European hub-Europe endpoint - all on OneWorld. There is no direct Oneworld flights to the endpoint.
But the return in one day is not possible because there is no way to get out of the endpoint city on Oneworld flight to catch any connection to USA on Oneworld.
In fact, after being spoiled in Europe access in StarAlliance - the Oneworld really is bad beyond belief. And yes- Air Berlin sucks on all counts, and so does Iberia.
So the only solution is BA or AA. And we all know how LHR works and I cannot wait for Brexit to complete the misery.
The protection of interlining, baggage allowance and interruptions is obviously critical.
Any hope there of how to do it right.
No, you won't be able to combine that on a single PNR. Yes, oneworld does stink in Europe. If you give us more details like the actual city you need to fly to you might get some more ideas here.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 10:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,191
Originally Posted by UltraSean View Post
Call in. I seriously doubt it. Award and revenue tix are from different inventories.
That has nothing to do with OP's question. AA will combine award+paid flights into one PNR, but only if they're all oneworld.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 1:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago / Hong Kong
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ex-AA EXP; ex-UA 1K; ex-DL Platinum
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
That has nothing to do with OP's question. AA will combine award+paid flights into one PNR, but only if they're all oneworld.
How can you do it? I tried to add a paid domestic connection to an award CX flight in the past and was told by the exp desk they could only combine saver award with partner award.
UltraSean is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 2:19 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,839
Originally Posted by m44 View Post
The protection of interlining, baggage allowance and interruptions is obviously critical.
Any hope there of how to do it right.
No hope. AA isn't going to add in random airlines and tickets into a PNR and protect you just like if it as a OW partner. If you want all this complicated travel in one PNR, book it without the OW award. If you're going to cut corners and your costs, accept the consequences (you have less protection).
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,191
Originally Posted by UltraSean View Post
How can you do it? I tried to add a paid domestic connection to an award CX flight in the past and was told by the exp desk they could only combine saver award with partner award.
HUCA. The EXP agent was just describing how to book a standard saver award. A knowledgeable agent will know what you're trying to do. Last time I had to book a mixed paid+award ticket on a single PNR I had to call 3 times until I got to an agent who actually knew how to do their job.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,495
Had a similar situation with no award, but 2 legs on OW and one on non OW and had to have separate PNR and ticket. Went through a TA and said could not combine across alliances. We did carry on to minimize the connection and in the end had no issues. Routing was ORD-TXL-VIE-SJJ.
worldiswide is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
That has nothing to do with OP's question. AA will combine award+paid flights into one PNR, but only if they're all oneworld.
​​FWIW, in 2014, by calling AA, I booked paid segments on AS (non-codeshare) and an AAdvantage award on CX, all on one AA PNR. So at least then, a non-oneworld partner was okay.

But it sounds like OP is looking at an airline that isn't a partner at all.
FlyingEgghead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: