Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Requirements Questions (A321)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
FA Requirements Questions (A321)

Currently sitting in row 11 (exit row) awaiting takeoff on an A321. No flight attendants ever came by to ask any of the exit row pax if they are willing and able to assist.

Also, the FA jumpseat that is right in front of me in this row, (which has a sticker on it that says seat must be occupied for taxi takeoff and landing), is not occupied by a FA. It always has been on my previous flights.

Should I report to AA about the FAs not asking pax if willing and able to assist? What about the jump seat?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:52 pm

Did they ask you at the gate if you'd be willing and able to help in event of an emergency? This definitely seems fishy and someone should definitely have said something... Report it!!! Imagine if something were to go wrong...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:17 pm

Which flight is this?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Definitely let AA Customer Service know. There is supposed to be a FA sitting in that seat with no exit row questions asked.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
They asked when they scanned my boarding pass if I was willing and able. So that makes me feel a little better.

Oh, and the FA showed up to sit in the jump seat as we were making our turn onto the active runway for takeoff.

She then proceeded to change out her shoes upon landing literally as we were about to touch down. Talk about a distraction and a trip hazard, had something gone wrong on landing.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I believe that the EGRs (Electronic Gate Readers) are now programmed to require exit row boarding passes to be scanned TWICE, in order to prompt the GA to ask the "willing and able?" question.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
It is a little odd that they forgot to ask you all that when sitting on the plane. That being said, if the GA asked you prior to boarding, and the FA was sitting in the seat before take-off, I really don't see the need to report them. Perhaps they got side tracked and didn't realize they forgot to ask. There is a reason they ask when boarding at the gate (if not at check-in if they see it)

Seems a mountain made out of a molehill to me to be honest.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Since it's a safety thing, the time to have dealt with this was onboard and prior to departure. Or it's not that big a deal and time to move on.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:04 pm

So glad you asked here first before sending in your letter!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Oh, and the FA showed up to sit in the jump seat as we were making our turn onto the active runway for takeoff.
Well will you look at that? Much ado about nothing.

She then proceeded to change out her shoes upon landing literally as we were about to touch down. Talk about a distraction and a trip hazard, had something gone wrong on landing.
Had something gone wrong on landing, her changing her shoes and where they were would probably be the least of your problems.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
Well will you look at that? Much ado about nothing.

Had something gone wrong on landing, her changing her shoes and where they were would probably be the least of your problems.
1. She still was violating the rules. She should have been in the seat for taxi. So, not much ado about nothing.

2. It's a double standard. The FAs throw a fit about bags, straps etc in the exit path yet they can do whatever they want with their stuff and have it be a hazzard.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I believe that the EGRs (Electronic Gate Readers) are now programmed to require exit row boarding passes to be scanned TWICE, in order to prompt the GA to ask the "willing and able?" question.
You don't have to scan it twice, but it does pop up a huge alert on their screen asking if customer is willing and able to assist and then the gate agent has to hit Enter or something to dismiss/acknowledge the alert message.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
1. She still was violating the rules. She should have been in the seat for taxi. So, not much ado about nothing.

2. It's a double standard. The FAs throw a fit about bags, straps etc in the exit path yet they can do whatever they want with their stuff and have it be a hazzard.
1. I doubt she was, no matter what you think that sticker means. You need to reference the FAR's to determine if she was violating any rules and the FAR's allow her to be up during taxi. So yes, much ado about nothing.

2. I didn't say it wasn't a double standard. Just pointing out that I wouldn't worry about a pair of shoes being an issue in an emergency.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
1. I doubt she was, no matter what you think that sticker means. You need to reference the FAR's to determine if she was violating any rules and the FAR's allow her to be up during taxi. So yes, much ado about nothing.
I had wondered about this too, sometimes seeing an empty jump seat during taxi. The "must be occupied" sign reads like a rule, but in effect it is a shorthand reminder rather than the actual rule. So again a double standard, where pax are required to "obey all posted placards" but FAs are not. I found some clarity in this document from 2001:
During taxi ... [FAs] must remain at their duty stations with safety belts and shoulder harnesses fastened except to perform duties related to the safety of the airplane and its occupants.
[For example] FAA said that picking up commissary items absolutely is a safety-related duty — part of ensuring a crashworthy environment. So flight attendants will not serve beverages during taxi but will pick up [paper cups and plastic glasses] during taxi within this regulatory framework.
nancypants and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I had wondered about this too, sometimes seeing an empty jump seat during taxi. The "must be occupied" sign reads like a rule, but in effect it is a shorthand reminder rather than the actual rule. So again a double standard, where pax are required to "obey all posted placards" but FAs are not. I found some clarity in this document from 2001:
Not sure I would call that a double standard. Lots of businesses have signs that effectively say "customer = no, employee = yes". Or vice versa.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.