Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Old Sep 14, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BigEyedFish View Post
It would make it a lot easier if the FA announced the start of the meal service on the intercom and described both dishes up front ...
Not everybody is going to be listening to these announcements; they would only divert nasty attitudes from uncouth FAs from "I didn't stick my finger in it" to "Why weren't you listening"

Meals can be ordered on seatback TVs (a la Virgin America) where photos and nutrition facts can be provided as well.

Or, if that's too hard, just eliminate meal choices, give everybody a salad.
Old Sep 14, 17, 2:44 pm

I was downgraded from Business to Economy CLT-FRA, so I got to experience the Economy meal offerings and the process whereby the Flight Attedant at least on my flight offered the two meal options.

She stopped by each row and said, tonight we have two choice, an Asian Style Chicken with Rice or a Pasta with Tomato Sauce.

That answered any question that I might have had and at least from my row did not necessitate any further questions.
Old Sep 14, 17, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Reason ANA and JAL has those laminated picture of meal choices is because especially on international flights not all passengers’ native language is English (or Japanese in case of ANA and JAL).

I highly doubt on international flights FA announcing meal choices on PA in English or FA verbally describing meal choices to each passengers in English will work for all passengers.
SvenAge likes this.
Old Sep 14, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by infinite97 View Post
I've experienced this multiple times on AA, unfortunately.

*me, sitting with my NC headphones on*
FA: chicken or beef
Me: removes headphones, "excuse me?"
FA: chicken or beef
me: can you please be a little more descriptive?
FA: HUGE SIGH, pulls out a meal, shows it to me, slams in back into the cart, etc.

What if he answered like this:

Chicken-fowl, has beak, 2 legs, 2 wings, is able to both walk and fly short distances.

Beef-from the bovine family. 4 legs, no wings, can walk, definitely can't fly.

It's more descriptive.....
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by kmersh View Post
.. the Flight Attedant at least on my flight offered the two meal options.

She stopped by each row and said, tonight we have two choice, an Asian Style Chicken with Rice or a Pasta with Tomato Sauce.

That answered any question that I might have had and at least from my row did not necessitate any further questions.
That is all that is needed and that is how it should be. How difficult is it really - it takes maybe 3 more seconds to say that rather than saying "chicken or pasta" and it avoids most if not all questions.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 14, 17 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:43 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Some AA attendants are really, well......ticked off. They don't like the company, they don't like the customers, they don't like the ......uniforms. Sadly this collection of people sticks around, continually letting out long audible sigh's or wheeze's, and shows a complete lack of any acceptable customer service.

I asked one middle aged guy on a DFW-NRT flight if I could have a drink when he walked past me, he actually told me that he was primarily there for my safety! Well Mrs. Smallest State hears **** like that and it's waving a red flag at a bull. She announced quite rudely that we were safe and she'd like a screwdriver in addition to my drink.

I told her not to do that as I'm worried about some disgruntled person messing with my food or drink and she replied that you have to treat some people like they treat you.

I've had some great AA FA's over the years, but you will run into these types too, luckily AA has nothing on Air Canada. That company has some downright hostile FA's, man they'll put anyone off of flying.
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:02 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Good thing I can just pile on rather than start a new thread about my recent flight from BCN-ORD in J. I was on the left side of the plane and the Spanish FA man made me feel like I was there to serve him. When it was meal time, he came around and knocked on people's tray table openings. I sat there waiting for him to open it but realized that he meant that as a sign that I should open it and take it out myself. He brought me the wrong meal and I told him I had asked for the other option and he barks out 'for who?' and for a moment I wasn't sure how to answer. Also, was too lazy to ever clean up the tray afterwards. I had to press the call button and someone else came by to clean up the tray.
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
Sadly this collection of people sticks around, continually letting out long audible sigh's or wheeze's, and shows a complete lack of any acceptable customer service.
AA needs to set up an accountability system. UA has (or maybe had) a rule where any GA/FA accruing 2 complaints from top status flyers is terminated.

An unpleasant FA is undiscriminating in unpleasantness. What AA might do is, whenever it receives a complaint about unpleasant FA behavior, send an email to everyone else in the same cabin on the same flight: "We've received a report that a [visual description] flight attendant provided unsatisfactory service on your flight. Please click here to confirm."
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions... People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.
None of these questions are the same as "what kind of a sauce is the pasta cooked in". There are no parallels in your argument with the OP's experience.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
AA needs to set up an accountability system. UA has (or maybe had) a rule where any GA/FA accruing 2 complaints from top status flyers is terminated.
Did you read that in the Internet, thus making it true, or did you get that gem rom your neighbors, brother who used to romp with this gal whose sister in law, twice removed told them that?

112 posts so far, anyone want to bet you've all wasted your time over a Y class meal? Epic this should be a "Sticky"

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 14, 17 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
Why is this a 'good thing'?
This relates to the difficulty FA have in providing a service because they are constantly interrupted, something which I would prefer not to happen on a flight. Of course, where people have legitimate dietary needs, it is completely understandable, but where people are just being awkward and enjoying having staff waiting on them like they're in a michelin restaurant.. well, I think staff deserve much better treatment. It's a difficult job as it is without people trouble making.
Again, no parallel. At a Michelin restaurant a member of the waitstaff will most probably describe the dish before you order it.

People asking legit questions about dietary needs are NOT trouble makers.
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:21 pm

dupe

filler
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Did you read that in the Internet
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27530983-post19.html
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:01 pm

Delete

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 14, 17 at 6:02 pm Reason: Ignorance is bliss
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Color me skeptical. Let a union rep come here and say 'Yes, that's how it works.'

Search this Thread
Search Engine: