Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Old Sep 12, 17, 7:12 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
Good thing that has nothing to do with the OP's very legitimate question to the FA, or the FA's unprofessional and rude response.
Why is this a 'good thing'?
This relates to the difficulty FA have in providing a service because they are constantly interrupted, something which I would prefer not to happen on a flight. Of course, where people have legitimate dietary needs, it is completely understandable, but where people are just being awkward and enjoying having staff waiting on them like they're in a michelin restaurant.. well, I think staff deserve much better treatment. It's a difficult job as it is without people trouble making.
SvenAge is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:14 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by muishkin View Post
Jesus I can't believe there certain flyers in this thread seriously arguing that people shouldn't ask what they are being served on an airplane. And people wonder why there is a general dissatisfaction with US-based airlines.
I suspect the majority of the plane do not ask either..
SvenAge is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:23 pm
  #93  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?
About as inapposite a comparison as I can imagine.

So you're OK if you are served a dinner described as "meat" in a container with an opaque foil cover on it, yes? You don't need or want to know anything more about it?
HMPS likes this.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:23 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Posts: 2,640
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions... People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.
Did you actually hear and personally witness all these questions or are you just being extremely creative in making them up?
If they are indeed true and happened all on the same flight rather than individual requests over many years of your flying experience, then I agree that they would be annoying but this has no relation to OP's very simple and not annoying question. Also, there is no evidence that OP's simple question was preceded by all these silly requests and thus justifying FA's annoyance and rudeness.
Paulchili is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:34 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Over the North Atlantic
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 494
The measure of a truly good customer service is how it handles difficult customers. In this case the bar is much lower. OP asked a very simple question which can be answered quickly if the FA had any clue. Instead OP got a nasty sarcastic response.


I can't imagine if the same FA was on my flight back from SFO this last weekend. It was in a transcon J cabin. My seatmate asked a series of detailed and rather difficult to answer questions about the beef filet that they were serving. The FA handled it perfectly with clear and concise answers to each of the questions. When she didn't know the answer, she simply said I am not sure but I can check for you. Now that's the type of customer service that we should be getting consistently.
muishkin is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:25 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,788
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.
Yes chit chat or bantering when there is a line behind you is a big NO-NO.
Slightly OT- Suburban New York Bagel shop in Detroit area, line up every Sunday for hot bagels around 8 AM. At least ten minute line. We would all shuffle our feet waiting our turn...one guy would reach his turn and then studies the menu board of varieties ab=nd starts " I don't know...give me two X, two Y and then ummm , maybe 4 salt and all of a sudden How many did I get ! All in line get visibly irritated !
Next Sunday the same guy, same deal. Third Sunday a repeat...I could not hold myself, when he reached the order taker I yelled out " Give him a dozen assorted " ! Everyone cheered but the guy kept his routine ...I changed my schedule.
HMPS is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:59 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lax
Posts: 3,682
It would be much quicker to show the customer the pasta, and let them choose!
skylady is offline  
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:18 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,422
If the FA had answered civilly in the first place, it would have taken no time at all. Inferring a bunch of subsequent questions is unsupported.
Further, why are the same people who are saying airline meals are so bad that it barely matters what's in them complaining about a slight delay in the delivery of that very same unpalatable trash?
rickg523 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:06 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 846
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
Why is this a 'good thing'?
This relates to the difficulty FA have in providing a service because they are constantly interrupted, something which I would prefer not to happen on a flight. Of course, where people have legitimate dietary needs, it is completely understandable, but where people are just being awkward and enjoying having staff waiting on them like they're in a michelin restaurant.. well, I think staff deserve much better treatment. It's a difficult job as it is without people trouble making.
1. If it's difficult for a flight attendant to answer a simple question about what kind of sauce is on the pasta (the very simple question that the OP asked), then maybe they shouldn't be a flight attendant.

2. I repeat, your made-up scenarios about treating airline meals like a Michelin experience have NOTHING to do with the OP's situation.

You really like straw men, don't you?
DMPHL is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:15 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: 120% Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 2,984
Originally Posted by Paulchili View Post
Yeah - we finally agree.You clearly are

Or not!
Dallas49er is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 8:45 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,788
Originally Posted by SvenAge View Post
Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions... People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.
"could you heat this bottle up for me".. one assumes you are referring to a bottle of milk / formula for a baby ? If not you have never traveled with an infant ?
HMPS is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:01 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 1,816
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
"could you heat this bottle up for me".. one assumes you are referring to a bottle of milk / formula for a baby ? If not you have never traveled with an infant ?
Are you saying even the babies are picky about their in flight meals?
kb9522 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 9:28 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PDX
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 99
I've experienced this multiple times on AA, unfortunately.

*me, sitting with my NC headphones on*
FA: chicken or beef
Me: removes headphones, "excuse me?"
FA: chicken or beef
me: can you please be a little more descriptive?
FA: HUGE SIGH, pulls out a meal, shows it to me, slams in back into the cart, etc.


AA really needs to send its employees to finishing school.
infinite97 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 11:13 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,788
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
Are you saying even the babies are picky about their in flight meals?
Yes, unless that poster was quoting an adult with no baby in sight !
HMPS is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 2:06 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: RDU
Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Posts: 267
It would make it a lot easier if the FA announced the start of the meal service on the intercom and described both dishes up front (doesn't need to be a Michelin star description, just something with a bit more detail e.g. tonight your choices are either chicken and rice with mixed vegetables or a cheese lasagna). Then a valid question would be 'chicken or pasta' to each individual person.
AA are giving me a choice about what to eat - just give me more information about my choices, that's all I ask.
BigEyedFish is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: