Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Is asking a question about sauce consistency really "inconveniencing everyone?"

There are those with unreasonable expectations who will ask "is this cage-free, organic, non-GMO, commune-grown, free-range chicken?" However, that is a huge minority.

I guess I'm not on the "let's just accept rude service and hope they feel like being nice to us today" bandwagon, especially when it comes to health-related questions. When an FA yells at me to get my lunch order because I haven't had enough time to look at the menu, am I "inconveniencing everyone?"
What people consider yelling these days is usually anything but that. And nobody is saying you should accept rude service. But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. A lot of the posts here supporting seemingly ridiculous questions about various qualities of the food are just indicative of the sense of entitlement flyers have these days. It's an airplane, not fine dining at a Michelin star restaurant. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522
What people consider yelling these days is usually anything but that. And nobody is saying you should accept rude service. But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. A lot of the posts here supporting seemingly ridiculous questions about various qualities of the food are just indicative of the sense of entitlement flyers have these days. It's an airplane, not fine dining at a Michelin star restaurant. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.
It's not about entitlement. It's about asking a simple question about what you are about to ingest. If you think taking 10 seconds out of an FA's time to do that is too much, maybe you are the one who has an issue with entitlement by thinking the FA should come to you more quickly and thinking screw anyone else who may want to ask the FA a simple question.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

In any case, most of the time I do bring my own food or I'm in F and waiting isn't really an issue. But for someone sitting in the last few rows of Y seats, an extra 30 seconds at every row is a long time. Because of course the people in the next row don't listen to the FAs response to the same question from the previous row.
I've already stated I'm not usually inconvenienced. But there are 100+ other people on the plane besides me. I'm not the one holding up meal service, so I think the analogy may have gone over your head.
Nobody is inconvenienced. Not even the last row. The food is served well before the flight is over. Flight gets there at the same time.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:27 pm

I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
We are currently house guesting a good friend who is also the house guest from Hell.

She is vegetarian by choice and militant by nature. Dining out with her is impossible. No place where meat/fish served. Then a protracted discussion of the geneology of our potential meal when we finally do find a place. (Last night, I left the restaurant and came back with a Big Mac. When I got back, Big Mac in bag, they still hadn't ordered). She couldn't eat at our house until she bought some pans, dishes, and flatware that had never touched meat/fish and were for her use only.
If I had someone like that as a friend, I guarantee they would be an ex-friend if I were to witness behaviour like that.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Nobody is inconvenienced. Not even the last row. The food is served well before the flight is over. Flight gets there at the same time.
I think it's an inconvenience having to wait longer because someone wants to be awkward and make a scene (happens sometimes, not a reference to OP). It's an inconvenience to then have staff hurry through a service because they feel it is 'eating' into their break time otherwise. It's an inconvenience when the staff look irritated, frustrated and downtrodden and can't offer you the same attention to detail because they're in a foul mood having answered every question under the sun and instead they just slam your food down missing your outstretched hand..... sorry this is the norm on BA flights but I can see how this could dissipate to other airlines. And while you can question how these can relate to one another in terms of cause and effect, I've seen staff get more and more flustered and annoyed as people take advantage and want what the previous person had got and more, and so on, where the first person had got a little bit more than they should have but staff were too polite to say no.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
It's not about entitlement. It's about asking a simple question about what you are about to ingest. If you think taking 10 seconds out of an FA's time to do that is too much, maybe you are the one who has an issue with entitlement by thinking the FA should come to you more quickly and thinking screw anyone else who may want to ask the FA a simple question.
The issue isn't about the FA becoming quicker, but about the FA getting slower because of all these additional requirements.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.
This is such BS. I HATE tomatoes and thus I NEED to know if the pasta has a white or tomato sauce. I prefer the pasta to the chicken but if I take the pasta blindly and it turns out to be red sauce I cannot eat it and it can not be given to anyone else; nor am I likely to get the chicken instead after I took the pasta.
Is asking what kind of pasta it is really that picky and that time consuming? It would take the FA about 2 seconds (if that) to say - "It's tomato sauce, Sir". Then I would know for sure what to choose. Period.
For you to argue just for the sake of arguing is silly at best. Your opinion is outnumbered by a 100:2.
DMPHL and waalien like this.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 12, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SvenAge
I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.
Good thing that has nothing to do with the OP's very legitimate question to the FA, or the FA's unprofessional and rude response.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by SvenAge
The issue isn't about the FA becoming quicker, but about the FA getting slower because of all these additional requirements.
That's BS. That's like saying if you check into a hotel, you shouldn't ask the front desk where the elevator is or what time breakfast is because it may slow down the front desk clerk from getting to the next customer. The FA has a job to do, and part of that is answering simple questions from customers. Let's not forget, each person on the plane is a customer that is paying for the travel and service on the plane (as limited as that service may be). If you really have a problem with someone asking a question of the proper representative of a business that takes all of 2 seconds to answer, I think the problem may be on your end.
DMPHL and HMPS like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:31 pm

That's BS. That's like saying if you check into a hotel, you shouldn't ask the front desk where the elevator is or what time breakfast is because it may slow down the front desk clerk from getting to the next customer. The FA has a job to do, and part of that is answering simple questions from customers. Let's not forget, each person on the plane is a customer that is paying for the travel and service on the plane (as limited as that service may be). If you really have a problem with someone asking a question of the proper representative of a business that takes all of 2 seconds to answer, I think the problem may be on your end.
Well said.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Paulchili
This is such BS. I HATE tomatoes and thus I NEED to know if the pasta has a white or tomato sauce.

For you to argue just for the sake of arguing is silly at best.
Yeah. I'm clearly the silly one here.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:48 pm

Yeah. I'm clearly the silly one here.
Yeah - we finally agree.You clearly are
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Jesus I can't believe there certain flyers in this thread seriously arguing that people shouldn't ask what they are being served on an airplane. And people wonder why there is a general dissatisfaction with US-based airlines.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:06 pm

Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions... People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.