Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Old Sep 11, 17, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
While the questions asked hardly qualify as Michelin star back-and-forth, I have to agree with the sentiment. It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.
The side dishes or preparation often drive my decision as much as the main food. It's not a waste of time to ask fo a little more info regarding what I'm going to be served.
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
...And you guarantee it will go thru TSA check points ?
Are you saying there are no food options post security?
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR View Post
"Pasta" is not a meal description, any more than "rice" is a meal description (or "potatoes" for that matter). Whether I choose "the chicken" or "the pasta" has everything to do with what the sauce is - you know, the bit in "the pasta" that has the actual taste.
Strange how all of a sudden airline food has somehow become some exceptional gourmet cuisine for the purposes of this thread. It's a reheated TV dinner... I can't imagine people are this picky about their hungryman...
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I was going to suggest this as well. Also, once you decide, they hand it to the next row to decide what they want so they're ready when the cart moves to the row. It's all very efficient.
AA cabin crew has no reason to be efficient; and the union protects them from any management efforts in this regard.

No idea how you got to that; but it's not at all what s/he's saying. Having food brought in by an approved food vendor for a retail outlet is much, much different from an individual pax bringing in personal food items.

Strange how all of a sudden airline food has somehow become some exceptional gourmet cuisine for the purposes of this thread. It's a reheated TV dinner... I can't imagine people are this picky about their hungryman...
Of course not; but with TV dinners, you know what's inside from the picture on the outside of the box. Exactly what's been suggested here. I don't think it an unreasonable request at all.
DMPHL and HMPS like this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Cheap pasta is generally served with either red sauce or white sauce

White sauce is cream based, and thus contains a ton of lactose.

Many people are lactose-intolerant.

Asking if the pasta is drenched in lactose is not a Michelin star question.
+1
Others hate tomatoes (like me) or may be allergic to them.
Hence the question was more than reasonable.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:20 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
.....It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.
What if one is allergic to one of the ingredients of the meal - like tomatoes?
Are YOU prepared to die just to speed up the food service or you simply don't care if this should happen to OP just as long as they serve you faster?

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 12, 17 at 4:28 am
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:02 am

Programs: 120% Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Paulchili View Post
Are YOU prepared to die just to speed up the food service or you simply don't care if this should happen to OP just as long as they serve you faster?
I get that there are dietary needs, real or imagined. The topic here is the behavior of the FA in question.

We are currently house guesting a good friend who is also the house guest from Hell.

She is vegetarian by choice and militant by nature. Dining out with her is impossible. No place where meat/fish served. Then a protracted discussion of the geneology of our potential meal when we finally do find a place. (Last night, I left the restaurant and came back with a Big Mac. When I got back, Big Mac in bag, they still hadn't ordered). She couldn't eat at our house until she bought some pans, dishes, and flatware that had never touched meat/fish and were for her use only.

To the topic-There are all kinds of PAX. But it is NEVER the FA's job to be rude, curt, judgemental, or disrespectful under any circumstances.
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:09 am

Programs: 120% Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me

We don't fly to eat (except if its restaurant week in Paris 9/18-9/28 )

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 12, 17 at 5:19 am
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:19 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
...But then I will have to inconvenience the staff who are overworked at a much lesser payscale than the FAs, make those behind me wait longer, and PAY for it ! Whereas on an airline I have already paid for it !

BTW would you eat an unannouced soup with snake meat in it ?

Or would you and most people will go ?
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Why don't you buy your own food instead of worrying and complaining about vegetarians, folks with religious beliefs, people who have lactose intolerance so you can get your meal 30 seconds earlier?
DMPHL and davie355 like this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili View Post
You missed my earlier point which addressed this. If the content of the meal is so vitally important to you, the better option is to board with your own food. There is no reason to inconvenience everyone else because you feel the need to be picky, whether for good reason or not.
Dallas49er and Statman like this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Why don't you buy your own food instead of worrying and complaining about vegetarians, folks with religious beliefs, people who have lactose intolerance so you can get your meal 30 seconds earlier?
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

In any case, most of the time I do bring my own food or I'm in F and waiting isn't really an issue. But for someone sitting in the last few rows of Y seats, an extra 30 seconds at every row is a long time. Because of course the people in the next row don't listen to the FAs response to the same question from the previous row.
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
You missed my earlier point which addressed this. If the content of the meal is so vitally important to you, the better option is to board with your own food. There is no reason to inconvenience everyone else because you feel the need to be picky, whether for good reason or not.
Is asking a question about sauce consistency really "inconveniencing everyone?"

There are those with unreasonable expectations who will ask "is this cage-free, organic, non-GMO, commune-grown, free-range chicken?" However, that is a huge minority.

I guess I'm not on the "let's just accept rude service and hope they feel like being nice to us today" bandwagon, especially when it comes to health-related questions. When an FA yells at me to get my lunch order because I haven't had enough time to look at the menu, am I "inconveniencing everyone?"
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

In any case, most of the time I do bring my own food or I'm in F and waiting isn't really an issue. But for someone sitting in the last few rows of Y seats, an extra 30 seconds at every row is a long time. Because of course the people in the next row don't listen to the FAs response to the same question from the previous row.
You have yet to say how you are inconvenienced. I have yet to hear from anyone who feels they are inconvenienced . And the total couldn't be more than 20 minutes at the end of the flight. On most non redeyes the food comes too soon anyway. You have 0 case. You are the one on the phone.
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
You have yet to say how you are inconvenienced. I have yet to hear from anyone who feels they are inconvenienced . And the total couldn't be more than 20 minutes at the end of the flight. On most non redeyes the food comes too soon anyway. You have 0 case. You are the one on the phone.
I've already stated I'm not usually inconvenienced. But there are 100+ other people on the plane besides me. I'm not the one holding up meal service, so I think the analogy may have gone over your head.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: