Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
Would be interesting to learn prior status, current flying habits of those being offered status.
EXP here for 3 years, late 2012 - 2015 then Plat in 2016.
BIS 2016 12,000 miles
BIS 2017 1,400 miles

In 2015 started to fly United again. Currently a 1K, likely Plat in 2018
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Would be interesting to learn prior status, current flying habits of those being offered status. As others have stated, it is for a slow part of the year, ends before the holiday travel season, but it does put further pressure on upgrade competition for those given temporary PLT.
Isn't the tiebreaker after status a rolling 365-day EQD? If someone doesn't have status, I doubt they'd have much--if any--EQD

I'd be upset for Golds who earned status the normal way.

I am personally insulted by the sticker giveaway, although I still fly AA enough to never run out - despite moving enough travel to AS this year to earn MVPG for 2018 (early Oct).
I have so many stickers and so rarely get the chance to use them. They gave me a boatload when I was converted over from US Airways, and I haven't been below 30 since.

For a Plat with little/no EQD, I doubt stickers will be of much value. That is, unless someone actually switches and makes AA their airline, then eventually they'll be able to use stickers.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Generous offers.

Do these offers let you earn status for 2018 if you hit certain thresholds?

I've gotten these from Delta in the past, they are nice to have.

Also, flights go out with empty F seats everyday. Stickers can be of use.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Generous offers.

Yes, for GLD it's 7,000 EQM + $1,000 EQD for status through 1/19.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:43 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Great, now more people in Group 3 to fight for bin space!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Generous offers.

I've gotten these from Delta in the past, they are nice to have.

Also, flights go out with empty F seats everyday. Stickers can be of use.
Really? I haven't been on a flight with empty F seats in years - seriously. I will be happy to be unshackled from AA this year. I am thinking of transitioning EXP to whatever UA may give me as a challenge, but unsure if I will as I don't know if I like their options for the Int'l routes I fly. I am looking forward to unlimited options, non stops, and buying the least expensive fare with the best product. Will go paid F or maybe Y - will not just stick with AA though. FREEDOM!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:02 pm

I got the platinum offer. Only had 1 flight with American this year in first class. Other than that...probably 4-5 flights with American my entire life...

No credit cards with them at all.

To keep the status...must achieve 4K EQD
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
I got the Gold offer. A few flights in coach, low spend.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Well, that really chaps my hide. Why should I even try to earn status if AA will just give it away?

Yes, I know this isn't a new thing, but it still pisses me off every time I hear about it.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by skunker
Well, that really chaps my hide. Why should I even try to earn status if AA will just give it away?

Yes, I know this isn't a new thing, but it still pisses me off every time I hear about it.
Yeah, I basically earned my status this way, so I can't really complain.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Gold offer received with status being reflected on aa.com very quickly after I signed up.

No offer of 500 mile upgrades but I still have a bunch left following being a Gold several years ago. I'll attempt to use them all before Dec. 22.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Yeah, I basically earned my status this way, so I can't really complain.
Yup. Same.

In 2015, I wasn't earning enough to even make gold. I booked a trip to Europe, and they offered me a Gold offer, and I was able to convince them to give me the PLT offer (I think they made a mistake and thought I said I'd been given a PLT offer).

In 2015, I flew enough to re-qual PLT.
In 2016, I made EXP
In 2017, I'll probably end up EXP again

These offers do exactly what AA wants them to do in some cases.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
I got the Gold offer. A few flights in coach, low spend.
I wonder how they decide to whom to extend the offers.

I also have several flights in coach (and one in domestic first) this year, low to moderate spend, and didn't get the offer. I've been with the Aadvantage program for many years, but never flew enough in any given year to get status. But have flown more this year than usual and approaching Gold, so it seems like I might be the kind of customer they'd try to entice? Or maybe because I've never had status I'm not on their radar.

In the end, I'll actually make Plat this year due to a trip to Australia in paid business. I'll be well over the EQD's and over the EQM's too. So it's kind of moot for me, but I do wonder how they decide to whom to extend the offers.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by josmul123
Yup. Same.

In 2015, I wasn't earning enough to even make gold. I booked a trip to Europe, and they offered me a Gold offer, and I was able to convince them to give me the PLT offer (I think they made a mistake and thought I said I'd been given a PLT offer).

In 2015, I flew enough to re-qual PLT.
In 2016, I made EXP
In 2017, I'll probably end up EXP again

These offers do exactly what AA wants them to do in some cases.
Late last year, I was sent a corporate fast track offer for Platinum and a "general" offer for Platinum and Gold as well. Around the exact same time of year. I chose the corporate offer as I got more 500 mile upgrades. Previously, I was generally a Delta flier that did an occasional trip on American.

This year I have switched most flights to American and will re-qualify for Platinum.

AA has been doing these for years, so I guess they feel like it works for them.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
What's the email title? Just wanted to make sure in my emails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.