Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by rjw242
If it's an experimental promo, there might be *some* random element to it (define a target cohort of customers, offer the promo to a random subset of them in order to ensure a proper control sample). However, the target cohort should be very carefully chosen, experiment or not. And since several people in this relatively tiny community have reported receiving the offer, I suspect it's more than just a narrow experiment.
I don't know... I would think that FTers would be much more likely than the average person to fall into the target demographic. Imagine the characteristics you would want to target this kind of promo:
1. Someone who flies enough that status would be meaningful to them.
2. Someone who cares enough about airline award programs that they would open the e-mail.
3. Someone who is willing to make a meaningful change in their purchasing behavior or brand loyalty based on a promotional offer.

It's a pretty small group of people in the world at large, but there are a lot of FTers that fit this profile.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
As EXP, I don't care.
Ditto. LOL. Now zones 1 to 4 might consist of 3/4 of the plane as opposed to 2/3. Oh well.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes, and this word is the key word. I wasn't given instant status just for sitting around. This offer doesn't require you to do jack. I had to earn X amount of miles in a given time frame. Big difference.
Had to? Really? No, you chose "to earn X amount of miles in a given time frame" so that you could get a little plastic card, a better shot at an upgrade, and a different telephone number to call. Just like everyone else who took up the challenge. Seriously, some people got a targeted promotion others don't; why the outrage? IIRC UA did the same thing last year. Now AA is doing it.

And just in case, you're wondering my EXP came from over 40 r/ts between BOS and LGA and another 25 or so between BOS and DCA. I wasn't sitting in any Flaagship Suites on a 777 or an A321T. Aside from the few trips to LHR and the odd vacation here and there, 90% of my flights are sub-500 miles. That's earning a status IMO...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:16 pm

Oh and congrats to the newly minted PLTs and GLDs...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by skunker
Why should I even try to earn status if AA will just give it away?
You shouldn't. With or without targeted promos. I think it's funny that anyone still tries to earn airline status.

I'm done with chasing airline status. After previously being EXP & PLT in various years I will now remain AA lifetime Gold unless my flying naturally happens to take me over the hurdle to another level in certain years. I will not spend a single incremental dollar nor fly a single incremental segment to chase a different color frequent flyer card.

But, I'm flying first class more than ever! And my bank account loves me for it. All that money that FTers waste on mileage runs is much better spent on buying up to first class/MCE/tickets on better airlines.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Had to? Really? No, you chose "to earn X amount of miles in a given time frame" so that you could get a little plastic card, a better shot at an upgrade, and a different telephone number to call. Just like everyone else who took up the challenge.
This! ^ I think it's hilarious that the poster whining about this latest targeted promo "earned" his status via a different targeted promo.

And you correctly point out that there is practically no benefit to status that can't be replicated by just buying up to a premium cabin ticket (save for a special, not-so-secret, phone number. whoop de freakin do!)
jcatman likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 9, 2017 at 12:33 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
And just in case, you're wondering my EXP came from over 40 r/ts between BOS and LGA and another 25 or so between BOS and DCA. I wasn't sitting in any Flaagship Suites on a 777 or an A321T. Aside from the few trips to LHR and the odd vacation here and there, 90% of my flights are sub-500 miles. That's earning a status IMO...
No I wasn't wondering.

Would you like a medal?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

No I wasn't wondering.

Would you like a medal?
That's odd in light of the outrage over the FF status of others...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Yes, but you were a gold and plat at one time no? And did you not bust your butt by earning that status the old fashioned way? THAT"s what pisses me off. I feel for the other gold and plats that now have to compete with overhead space because of free giveaways.
What does that have to do with anything? These are people who aren't flying AA as it is.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:41 pm

I got the Gold email.My status has been updated, but not the 500-mile upgrades nor the lower requirements to maintain status through January 2019. Has anyone's upgrades and requirements been updated yet? Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
No soup (email) for me. Was Platinum for few years and now Gold since past 2 years. Fly AA about twice per month.

Any suggestions on what can I do to be targeted?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Any suggestions on what can I do to be targeted?
Stop flying AA.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
I am not too sure Platinum holds any benefit for me. I was EXP for 12 years, then dropped to PLT for two years, and now been back at EXP for 2 years. This year was absolutely the worst, as in 54 flights so far this year, I am less than 10% in F/J. Several times, I have been #15 or more on the upgrade list.
If I am going to fly coach next year, Virgin and United fly my common routes direct and I am certainly going to try it.
This is 100% now based on EQD running average. My upgrade % is sitting at about 95% since that change. I cant complain at all.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
My offer for PLT status/20 certs arrived by snail-mail today. No status now or ever on AA and in fact I paid for only one AA one-way F seat MCO-ORD 2 years ago, because was only $50 more than coach when factor in checked bags. I am 1K on United and PLT on Delta, flying 260 domestic segments/year and have already renewed UA and DL status for next year. So, I may try this out as sort of a status challenge. Know how the AA FF feel as UA did something similar last year ...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:00 pm

I decided to check my wife's email after reading this thread and found the promotion for Platinum. She has no status. She flies about 3 trips a year in F or J.

This promo is great as we are flying all paid J to Brazil in October. She will then keep status until Jan 31st 2019 because she will meet EQM and EQDs promotion extension period.

My 3 and 5 year old are also traveling and did not receive the offer LOL.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
You shouldn't. With or without targeted promos. I think it's funny that anyone still tries to earn airline status.

I'm done with chasing airline status. After previously being EXP & PLT in various years I will now remain AA lifetime Gold unless my flying naturally happens to take me over the hurdle to another level in certain years. I will not spend a single incremental dollar nor fly a single incremental segment to chase a different color frequent flyer card.

But, I'm flying first class more than ever! And my bank account loves me for it. All that money that FTers waste on mileage runs is much better spent on buying up to first class/MCE/tickets on better airlines.

This! ^ I think it's hilarious that the poster whining about this latest targeted promo "earned" his status via a different targeted promo.

And you correctly point out that there is practically no benefit to status that can't be replicated by just buying up to a premium cabin ticket (save for a special, not-so-secret, phone number. whoop de freakin do!)
I agree 100% with you. I'm lifetime platinum. I only travel first class now and don't chase status anymore. Best thing ever. But to contradict myself, I might be only short 8k EQM for EXP (My first flight this year on AA was in June). That I might have to chase for 4 SWU.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
No I wasn't wondering.

Would you like a medal?
That's odd in light of the outrage over the FF status of others...

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What does that have to do with anything? These are people who aren't flying AA as it is.
I am one of those who got this free Plat status the last time around when they were giving it away. It did nothing to change my travel plans, except the one flight on MH/JAL that was the cheapest anyway. I did use the three lounges at NRT (I had a ten hour layover) and the 60% Plat bonus was welcome too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.