Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPATIL1985
In general; where can I get "status cards" to prove my AA platinum pro status while flying with other Oneworld carriers?
The AA app. "View AAdvantage Card"
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
My wife received the January 12th invite for Platinum. She only had 1 trip on AA last year, though it was in F LAX-DFW-SJU.

Wish we had received the promotion a month earlier. She just had to fly last minute LAX-DCA, so between that flight and two others we took over the holidays, she has 12560 EQM / 1298 EQD in the past 35 days, which would meet the promotion requirements to retain Plat. But looking forward, the only planned travel before May is her WAS-LAX return and then a LAX-WAS family roundtrip. Even if we book the return on AA and switch our other trip from WN, she would only get to 9244 EQM and 1076 or so EQD by the end of the promotion - and it would probably cost us an additional $500 for the easter break trip since fares are high and we have a WN companion pass via the CA credit card promo giving us a free ticket for one of our sons.

If she earned Plat the rest of the year, we would probably switch some business to AA second half of this year even with the companion pass. Then again, she probably only received the promotion because of the holiday travel. At least it snagged her a MCE seat LAX-DCA (and she was 5th on the upgrade list for 1 open F - so no use of the e-upgrades).

It is funny - she has had 5 e-upgrades orphaned for the past decade -- the last time she earned gold. After this she will have 25 just sitting there but no status to use them.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I just got a "Free Gold Status For You" email today with a promo code but it doesn't work and I get an error message. Anyone else having these issues?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Platinum on Us

Long time Delta flyer just got the following email. Are upgrades easy to clear as Platinum?

AAdvantage® member
Platinum status – on usEnjoy free status through July 8
You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through July 8, 2018. You'll experience all the benefits of Platinum status. Plus, we'll give you twenty 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.Sign up before you travel and no later than March 30, 2018.
Reservations
Redeem Miles
Deals
My AccountConnect with us
Update Email Preferences Change Email Address
Unsubscribe Privacy Policy View on webTerms and Conditions
This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive an email directly from American Airlines. You must register by 11:59 p.m. CT March 30, 2018, and prior to travel in order for your Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to count toward this promotion.

AAdvantage® Platinum offer through July 8, 2018
AAdvantage® Platinum status received through this offer is valid through July 8, 2018. Your AAdvantage® Platinum status will be valid within 10 business days of registering for this promotion. You must requalify for AAdvantage® elite status membership annually. Learn more about standard qualification levels.

AAdvantage® Platinum offer through January 31, 2019
Upon reaching the required Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) threshold, your AAdvantage®Platinum status benefits will be extended immediately through January 31, 2019. Your new membership credentials will be mailed to you within four to six weeks after qualification. Qualification is based on AAdvantage® EQMs and EQDs earned on eligible, purchased, published fare tickets on American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines, as well as codeshare flights, between the date you register and July 8, 2018. Travel completed prior to registration will not count toward this promotion. You must requalify for AAdvantage® elite status membership annually. Learn more about standard qualification levels.

500-mile upgrades offer
Your 500-mile upgrades will be deposited into your AAdvantage®account within 20 business days of registering for this promotion. Standard 500-mile upgrade Terms and Conditions
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Note that the upgrade model for Platinum on AA isn't the same as on Delta.

• Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...questions.html

Lots of good information in the forum, including this:

"Fast Track" & Corporate Status Challenge (master thread)

I would personally be reluctant to trade top dog on DL for upgrades for very much middle of the pack on AA (Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, EXP), and having to BURN 500 mile upgrades for any flight of significant length, unless DL was just a complete dumpster fire. YMMV (perhaps it is a dumpster fire for you). The grass isn't always greener.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:18 am

So what’s the promo code?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:31 am

Theoretically, upgrades using the stickers should be easier on American because they do not offer unlimited upgrades to platinums like Delta does, so you would only be competing against others who were willing to spend their stickers for that particular flight. Whether there is any practical difference or not would certainly be open to debate. Delta has also more aggressively sold upgrades, so is less likely to have free upgrades available. All in all, I have to assume that as long as you have upgrade stickers, your chances on American can’t be worse than on adelta.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Theoretically, upgrades using the stickers should be easier on American because they do not offer unlimited upgrades to platinums like Delta does, so you would only be competing against others who were willing to spend their stickers for that particular flight. Whether there is any practical difference or not would certainly be open to debate. Delta has also more aggressively sold upgrades, so is less likely to have free upgrades available. All in all, I have to assume that as long as you have upgrade stickers, your chances on American can’t be worse than on adelta.
OP is going from Diamond in Delta (top) per profile to Platinum on AA (behind Platinum Pro, EXP and CK). Also, Platinum on Delta is second from the top. The equivalent status on Delta to AA Plat is Gold Medallion.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
That would make sense, but I wonder if they are checking only for people who lost status.
That is, would they make the offer to a Lifetime PLT who doesn't fly enough to qualify for regular status?
That's me exactly and I didn't get the offer.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Does anyone have experience successfully matching these gifted statuses to other airlines?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Does anyone have experience successfully matching these gifted statuses to other airlines?
DL recently told me they wanted proof I had earned status for the current year (I am Lifetime AA PLAT)
AS, on the other hand, match status to MVP Gold and gave me 4 uprgrade codes good on basically any fare.
We are using them to fly first class in DFW to SEA for a cruise this summer. I have only flown AS to Seattle and that was usually once or twice per year to my former employer's HQ
I originally requested the match for better seating and free baggage, since the AA-AS partnership's dramatic change, and AS was $200 less for a roundtrip for the days we wanted to travel. It had been reported on the AS thread that the status march would not include these 4 upgrades. I got the status match with my AA account show no travel for the current year, as my first AA/OW flights this year were not until late March
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
We used it to get a UA platinum status challenge for my wife. We already had flights booked to meet the challenge, so she is Platinum for the rest of the year. We sent a copy of electronic status card when we applied and received approval for the challenge within half an hour.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Antarius
This pops up a couple of times a year mainly for people with no travel on AA. The goal is to entice travelers to use AA for their business.
Barf. I had no AAdvantage registered flying for years, previous United 1K MM status, active AS MVP Gold 75K status (flying some AA and crediting to AS), called in to AA to plead for even just a waiver of $ for challenge, or a higher than Plat challenge and they fell on deaf ears. I am now doing weekly transcons having met Plat challenge but won't be until Sept to get PlatPro and get on the upgrade lists. Plus they got my $200 and I had to sweat Group 6 for a few weeks. I guess they still got me.... Ugh.

I am gunning for EXP this year but may have no use for it next year as my travel patterns may change. May have to go back to AS just in time for my 75K status to expire, or may try to status match/challenge back to UA.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:27 am

My wife had negative experience with AS - tried to do status match from gifted Platinum Pro status with no flight activity on AA for past year. Received this response from AS:

"Thank you for your interest in our Tier Match program. Since your Platinum Pro status was granted due to a status challenge, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a Tier Match into our program.
Please be advised that a Tier Match is only offered to a member who has achieved elite status by actual flight miles flown and has not been granted status based on credit card activity, transferred points, or any promotional offer."

I'm planning to do AA Plat status challenge by flying one roundtrip AA trans-Atlantic flight in biz class. Do you think AS will match this status?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:07 pm

I think there's a new round of these going out as I just got one today for Platinum. Free Platinum status + 17 stickers today through September 7. If I get 12,500 EQMs + $2k EQDs by September 7th, then I get Platinum through January 31, 2020.

As for me, I have no status on any airlines and have flow probably 7 or 8 flights total this year with 2 or 3 on AA. I was Platinum on AA for a couple years in up until about a year ago, and Alaska MVP gold for a few years until 2018.

Really surprised to get this email as I didn't know it was a thing. Totally random. Seems worth it to try and lock it in for another year, yeah?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.