Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't have minded some of these 500-mile upgrades that are given out so liberally. As an EXP, I can't earn any.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Those that have credited AA flights to AS, it makes sense for AA to try and get some of these flyers.

I think most of are surprised on their decision to do this with the Plat Pro level, but so it goes.

Rasheed
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Complete BS IMO. I'm going on 4 years of earning PLT the hard way, and here's AA comping an even higher status to those who don't even fly AA. What a joke.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Got an offer for Plat today and registered for it, now see it in my account. Are the 20 500-mile upgrades suppose to show up later on?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by msp3
Got an offer for Plat today and registered for it, now see it in my account. Are the 20 500-mile upgrades suppose to show up later on?
I also got the offer and registered. This was my AA numbers for last year.In 2017, you earned 1,031 EQDs, 9,675 EQMs and 7 EQSs. 5 of the 7 segments were in paid J (I Class)

Yes, if you read the fine print it says it could take UP TO 10 business days for the account to upgrade Platinum and UP TO 20 business days for the upgrades to be deposited in your account.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Complete BS IMO. I'm going on 4 years of earning PLT the hard way, and here's AA comping an even higher status to those who don't even fly AA. What a joke.
You know, it's only good for four months (my offer anyway), during which I have to compile 20k BIS / $3k PQM to be reupped for the rest of 2018. It's not the end of the world for you. And I do fly AA a fair amount, in a mix of F and Y. I've just been posting the flights to my AS or, more recently, BA accounts.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GM
I got the "Platinum status – on us" offer. Yesterday, I reviewed my e-summary and signed up for e-dining to use to keep my ~13000 RDMs from expiring in May. Three hours later I got the status offer. Status is platinum this morning but no 500-milers yet (expecting 20). My most recent OW flight was AA in Dec 2016 in F..
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver
Received the Plat Pro offer with no current or previous AA status.

I've never even credited any flights to AA but have redeemed loads of AA miles. I've purchased J revenue tickets through AA a few times (typically on BA metal) but credited to BA with Silver/OWS status. For any US airline status, I was Delta Gold and now Delta Silver. The offer caught me a bit off guard and I have no use for it due to BA status and very rarely do US domestic AA flights to use the upgrades.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was offered Plat Pro also. Is there any downside to accepting this (for me, not for people who actually earned the status)?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
Is there any downside to accepting this (for me, not for people who actually earned the status)?

AA has a restriction for status challenges: not more than once every 5 years. So you likely wouldn't be able to rechallenge before 2023.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
You know, it's only good for four months (my offer anyway), during which I have to compile 20k BIS / $3k PQM to be reupped for the rest of 2018. It's not the end of the world for you. And I do fly AA a fair amount, in a mix of F and Y. I've just been posting the flights to my AS or, more recently, BA accounts.
There is more history here though. They announced Platinum Pro in 2016. Many of us qualified for it with our 2016 travel, but the only way you could get it was 2017 travel. Then they offered us $1300 to buy it. Didn't take the buyout and made PP mid-December with a $400 mileage run flight- so basically I paid $400 for something they are giving away now. I will easily do 20k BIS / $3k EQD in the next four months. But I can't guarantee 75,000 / $9k for the year. They are telling us loyal customers we are worth less than randoms. Last five years I was Platinum, Executive Platinum, Executive Platinum, Platinum and now Platinum Pro. Primarily business travel, if I recall just the one mileage run to top off last year. All personal travel I did purchase for myself over using miles (miles for family) for status.

That said, I'm Platinum for life, which is nice. But PP is so much better with unlimited domestic upgrades.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:49 pm

I got the Plat Pro offer. Whatever my FT history and post count, I've never been elite with a legacy, so I haven't paid much attention to status and upgrade rules. Pardon somewhat basic questions:

1. If I try dummy bookings for after the expiration of the status, they let me select MCE seats at no charge. Will it stay this way, or will they say I owe money for the seat assignments if I don't maintain the status? I suppose I'll be out of the running for an upgrade?

2. People who've gotten the offer refer to waiting for 500-mile upgrades to show in their accounts. With Plat Pro, while I have the status will it just say unlimited for me, will there be a certain number I can use for my companion, or will those need to be purchased? However unfair it may be, in the upgrade queue I'll be ahead of Platinum and Gold who've flown more?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
I got the Plat Pro offer. Whatever my FT history and post count, I've never been elite with a legacy, so I haven't paid much attention to status and upgrade rules. Pardon somewhat basic questions:

1. If I try dummy bookings for after the expiration of the status, they let me select MCE seats at no charge. Will it stay this way, or will they say I owe money for the seat assignments if I don't maintain the status? I suppose I'll be out of the running for an upgrade?

2. People who've gotten the offer refer to waiting for 500-mile upgrades to show in their accounts. With Plat Pro, while I have the status will it just say unlimited for me, will there be a certain number I can use for my companion, or will those need to be purchased? However unfair it may be, in the upgrade queue I'll be ahead of Platinum and Gold who've flown more?
Flyertalk has an amazing feature that allows you to search.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by no1cub17
They've already got your money. They want these other people's.

Can you imagine how much nicer Champagne AA could afford to serve if they stopped advertising during sports events? I already know when I want to go somewhere I'm flying it on oneworld and crediting AA, so every dollar paid to Fox is money money I gave them for no reward.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by invalyd
Received the same offer with Platinum Pro status. Didn't fly a single flight on AA metal last year.
Same here.
Was an AA Platinum in 2015 and haven’t flown a single AA flight since then.
Guess I am a Platinum Pro now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.