Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA checked me in - and now I cannot get a mobile BP

BA checked me in - and now I cannot get a mobile BP

Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,819
BA checked me in - and now I cannot get a mobile BP

Just landed on a BA flight in the US, and continuing tomorrow (less than 24 hours) on several AA flights.

At departure in Europe they asked me whether I also wanted a printout of my connecting boarding passes, I said no as I prefer to have them on my mobile.

Now I wanted to check-in on my mobile (not possible when still in Europe because outside the 24 hour CKI window for the AA flights), and it says "cannot display boarding pass". On the website it says "checked-in" and somewhere else on the site "you need to check in at the airport".

The one thing I want to avoid is having to go to the airport earlier to check in, as I am a little pressed for time. I also want to have my BP before going to the airport to make sure it has TSAPre on it.

Is there a way I can check out myself online or could I call AA to take me off the flight? And once this has happened, can I check myself in again online or will the previous checking out void my booking/make CKI impossible?

Thanks for sharing any experience
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 394
I had this happen, it's a nightmare. You can call AA, but in my experience I had to fix it all when I arrived to the airport, and then it took them 20-30 minutes to fix it.
Calchas likes this.
chitink is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:50 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,603
rule of thumb, always get your BP ahead of time, in case something happens. Mobiles go missing, batteries die, no service, etc. Best to have hard copy BP.
arollins is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:24 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,108
Agreed. I always prefer to use mobile as my backup, not my primary BP.

I almost always have problems with OLCI on combined BA-AA itineraries, but it's always fine at the airport.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:37 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,622
IME, when you exit Customs at any airport in the US likely to have connecting flights, you'll be in the baggage re-check area. Said areas typically have lots of kiosks. It's extremely easy to get a print-out of your boarding pass so that you can clear PreCheck.
Calchas likes this.
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 3,146
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
At departure in Europe they asked me whether I also wanted a printout of my connecting boarding passes, I said no as I prefer to have them on my mobile.
I've never understood the affection for mobile boarding passes. Replacing a 10-cent piece of paper with a $500 electronic device doesn't make much sense to me.

That said, having a printed boarding pass does not preclude you from also having a mobile one. Never give up the opportunity to get a printed boarding pass, if you can; you never know when you'll need one.
fotographer likes this.
mikew99 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,819
Thanks for all the hints. Sounds like a mess I'm in...

Originally Posted by mikew99
I've never understood the affection for mobile boarding passes. Replacing a 10-cent piece of paper with a $500 electronic device doesn't make much sense to me.

That said, having a printed boarding pass does not preclude you from also having a mobile one. Never give up the opportunity to get a printed boarding pass, if you can; you never know when you'll need one.
The point is not whether to have a mobile or a printed boarding pass.

The point is that right now I cannot obtain ANY boarding pass but will have to get it at the airport - which involves getting there earlier, standing in line, and given that this is somehow screwed up possibly spending a lot of time (and then having to rush) to actually get a boarding pass there, which then may not have TSAPre.

Therefore my question (i) if and how I can undo the current situation and (ii) whether "checking out" will make a new attempt for online CKI impossible. I still don't know if it will, and I'd rather get some expert advice from this forum as in the past I have made very bad experiences with the savviness of AA staff on the phone.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:40 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,472
Did you try to retrieve your boarding passes from BA.com? AA.com and the AA app are useless when you are on a BA ticket and you have checked in.

I was in a similar situation recently trying to change seats on AA on a BA ticket after check-in, impossible online or over the phone, only at the airport.
nk15 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:37 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,819
I did get it sorted, but not in an easy way.

Calling American Airlines: I hang up after no response for 15 minutes. Trying to get the boarding pass through British Airways: did not work.

Since I was staying at a hotel near the airport anyway, I passed by the terminal, went to the check-in counter, where a very helpful agent check me in in two minutes, not missing the opportunity to complain bitterly about how difficult it was to work with British Airways. All went well, I got boarding passes for all my flights, including TSA pre. I later on tried to retrieve the boarding passes through the American airlines mobile application, and, hooray, there they were.

I am not sure things would have been different had I insisted more strongly with check in agents with British Airways in Europe not to touch my connecting flights with American airlines, or whether any mixed itinerary with those two airlines always ends up in such a mess. I have had an itinerary several weeks ago which started with American airlines and then had a direct connection with British Airways, that was no problem at all, online check in worked for both flights on the respective airline's mobile application
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:16 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,472
If you are on a BA ticket and flying AA and it is <T-24 the reservation goes under airport control, nothing can be done online or over the phone with either BA or AA.
nk15 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:25 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,203
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I did get it sorted, but not in an easy way.

Calling American Airlines: I hang up after no response for 15 minutes. Trying to get the boarding pass through British Airways: did not work.

Since I was staying at a hotel near the airport anyway, I passed by the terminal, went to the check-in counter, where a very helpful agent check me in in two minutes, not missing the opportunity to complain bitterly about how difficult it was to work with British Airways. All went well, I got boarding passes for all my flights, including TSA pre. I later on tried to retrieve the boarding passes through the American airlines mobile application, and, hooray, there they were.

I am not sure things would have been different had I insisted more strongly with check in agents with British Airways in Europe not to touch my connecting flights with American airlines, or whether any mixed itinerary with those two airlines always ends up in such a mess. I have had an itinerary several weeks ago which started with American airlines and then had a direct connection with British Airways, that was no problem at all, online check in worked for both flights on the respective airline's mobile application
I'm guessing it is/was JUST TOO hard, or TOO public school, or TOO non "high tech", or TOO DYKWIA, to use, heaven forbid, a paper/1st century "technology" as either a back-up or 1st choice.

"... not missing the opportunity to complain bitterly about how difficult it was to work with British Airways. ..." Also just guessing OP made that agent's day!

Sincerely overjoyed OP's problem solved.
Dallas49er is online now  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:52 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,819
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I'm guessing it is/was JUST TOO hard, or TOO public school, or TOO non "high tech", or TOO DYKWIA, to use, heaven forbid, a paper/1st century "technology" as either a back-up or 1st choice.

"... not missing the opportunity to complain bitterly about how difficult it was to work with British Airways. ..." Also just guessing OP made that agent's day!

Sincerely overjoyed OP's problem solved.
... or maybe just TOO hard to properly read and TOO difficult to understand the question. The question was not "Help, I want a mobile BP - I don't want paper". The question was "Help, I cannot get any boarding pass other than at the airport at departure"

And why I am being blamed when the AA agent complains about BA...??

Problem got solved by me going to the airport the night before. Not a huge deal but still that cost me half an hour and some money. If in the eyes of some not being thrilled about that constitutes DYKWIA attitude, then so be it.

THanks everybody else for the helpful tips
JonNYC likes this.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:54 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,108
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I did get it sorted, but not in an easy way.
Sounds like it was pretty easy to me. You went to the airport and got the BP at the check-in counter in a few minutes. That you decided to go slightly out of your way to do it need not be part of the equation. Sorry it caused you so much headache though.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:52 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,203
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
... or maybe just TOO hard to properly read and TOO difficult to understand the question. The question was not "Help, I want a mobile BP - I don't want paper". The question was "Help, I cannot get any boarding pass other than at the airport at departure"

After numerous unsuccessful attempts over the last 3 years with AA "IT" to match my AAdvantage Account name to my USA Passport info/name, I am resigned to to airport check-in 100% of the time. It's not the end of world as most of us would know it. OP's mileage obviously varies.

And why I am being blamed when the AA agent complains about BA...??

No blame. Let me interpret. It gave the agent a chance to vent/blow off steam/etc. . My comment was sarcastic, hence the . Maybe sarcasm is something unheard of in comprehensive. (Hint:THAT was was sarcasm.)


Problem got solved by me going to the airport the night before. Not a huge deal but still that cost me half an hour and some money. If in the eyes of some not being thrilled about that constitutes DYKWIA attitude, then so be it.

Re: DYKWIA-"The lady doth protest too much, methinks.". William Shakespeare "Hamlet" Act 3, Scene 2

THanks everybody else for the helpful tips
Sincerely happy OP got issue resolved.
Dallas49er is online now  
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 6,937
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
<snip> The question was not "Help, I want a mobile BP - I don't want paper". The question was "Help, I cannot get any boarding pass other than at the airport at departure"
I think the nuance you seem to be missing is that had you simply accepted the offer for printed connecting boarding passes when that option was presented, you might have avoided the whole situation. I don't see how, in the moment of choice, since you were already standing in a line getting boarding passes, you would have been "unduly burdened" by accepting the printed boarded passes.

So when you wrote,

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
At departure in Europe they asked me whether I also wanted a printout of my connecting boarding passes, I said no as I prefer to have them on my mobile.
then yea, you kinda did say "Help, I want a mobile BP - I don't want paper"

Regards
arollins likes this.
scubadu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.