Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Petty AA: Denied earlier flight at LHR on SAAver award, got SSSS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Petty AA: Denied earlier flight at LHR on SAAver award, got SSSS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
play stupid games, win stupid prizes
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Aren't we almost all immigrants... ?
Um, no.

As to all those who blame me for not having spread around EC261 info to perfect strangers (travel companions by coincidence)....
Now they're perfect strangers. You mean the first time you told us what happened, it wasn't entirely accurate? Some relevant facts were left out? Wow. THAT never happens on FT.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Hello all,

The story is worth telling, although I would not believe it if I myself heard it:

Months ago, I booked a MilesAAver award in Business Class LIS-LHR-JFK for today, September 6, with a 5 1/2 hour connection in LHR as AA 141 (Dep 7.30 PM) was the only one showing availability.

Arriving Heathrow from Lisbon early today at around 1.45, I looked whether an earlier flight to JFK was available. It was, AA 107 at 5 PM. It showed an availability of J7 and a seat map with 12 available J seats on Expertflyer, and this only 3 hours before departure. By comparison, my AA 141, 2 1/2 hours later only showed J4.

Although I am EXP and there is no fee involved to return/exchange awards, my request to change flights was, as I expected, rejected at the Flagship FC counter, but I was told to call the AA EXP line, which I did. I mentioned the bigger availability on AA 107 than on AA 141 but it was rejected too.

I mentioned to the Flagship FC agent that courtesies were a 2 way street, that I had just previously been delayed 30 hours in early August between Manchester and New York, that I had requested and obtained compensation as per EC 261 but that I had not informed any of my traveling companions of the regulation, which they did not know about, during the 5 hours wait at the gate, and that I would most likely not be so discrete the next time. She seemed very interested and gave me a boarding pass for my flight with the mention "SSSS" ("Potentially suspicious passenger, Hold at gate for secondary inspection").

So I'll go to the gate early, I have time. But Lower and Cheaper... I have seldom seen.

O Mighty Caesar, Dost Thou Lie So Low...
Thread title is inaccurate... It's not AA that was being petty in this story.

1. J availability is not the same thing as whatever fare bucket business saaver awards come from.

2. Secondary screening is not subject to the discretion of the agent printing the ticket. Can you imagine the number of civil suits they'd have to deal with when people claim racial profiling?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by apeortdz
SSSS is definitely a random occurrence.
That is simply not it.

While it's possible for that to be a random occurrence when flying AA out of LHR, very often it's not a random occurrence when flying AA out of LHR. And the excuse of "computer randomly generated this" is patently false for AA flights out of LHR.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Had a similar experience checking in at LHR Admirals Club a few weeks ago. The agent asked if we’d had our bags checked for the tag upon arrival after the security check, as we were in transit (I think she was talking about a yellow carry on tag, but she wasn’t entirely clear so we asked for clarification). She got a little flustered at that, but we got along just fine. (It seems like we had also asked about availability on an earlier flight out, as well). Before granting us access, she said, “I’ve got to re-print your boarding pass” and the SSSS was on mine. I’m not saying she was responsible, but I did find it odd that it wasn’t on my original pass in TLV that I printed online or that a new one wasn’t issued when I turned in my bags and documents were checked before my first flight.

My additional security check went quite smoothly. The agent just pointed at various small bags in my carry on and would ask “what is this” without asking me to even open them. One agent kept making the rounds in the waiting area, asking to see people’s boarding passes (she was cross-checking the SSSS list). She asked my husband 5 times to see his boarding pass!

Later on, the same agent who had given me my “new” boarding pass showed up at the Gate and assisted with getting passengers on board (Very long story, but it was UTTER CHAOS at the gate for our delayed flight which caused many people to miss their connections in JFK).
Those BP would be issued by BA. AA may have you flagged as SSSS, but since BA is issuing the BP, you have no way of seeing it till BP is issued by AA.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

...As to all those who blame me for not having spread around EC261 info to perfect strangers (travel companions by coincidence), 1) there was absolutely no intention at the time not to, as explained earlier, it was a situation in progress, and 2) how do you think AA would have reacted to my holding a Press Conference on the matter to 200+ people? Passengers have been dragged off planes for far less...
You're the one that brought it up, both to the agent (hoping to extort the change you were looking for,) and here, in an attempt to show that your statement was the motivation for the agent allegedly giving you SSSS-- which, as pointed out by other posters, is not what happened:

...I mentioned to the Flagship FC agent that courtesies were a 2 way street, that I had just previously been delayed 30 hours in early August between Manchester and New York, that I had requested and obtained compensation as per EC 261 but that I had not informed any of my traveling companions of the regulation, which they did not know about, during the 5 hours wait at the gate, and that I would most likely not be so discrete the next time. She seemed very interested and gave me a boarding pass for my flight with the mention "SSSS" ("Potentially suspicious passenger, Hold at gate for secondary inspection").
Dallas49er and mikeyp224 like this.

Last edited by JonNYC; Sep 7, 2017 at 6:47 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Those BP would be issued by BA. AA may have you flagged as SSSS, but since BA is issuing the BP, you have no way of seeing it till BP is issued by AA.
When an AA flight's passenger is flagged for SSSS on the AA-operated flight, BA's not necessarily able to push out the boarding pass for such passenger's AA-operated flight out of LHR. Even when the BA and AA flights are all on a single ticket itinerary.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When an AA flight's passenger is flagged for SSSS on the AA-operated flight, BA's not necessarily able to push out the boarding pass for such passenger's AA-operated flight out of LHR. Even when the BA and AA flights are all on a single ticket itinerary.
You're missing the point.

Not to mention, this post:
Paul, I DID have the original BP but printed by a machine ahead of checking in at Lisbon airport (first flight to LHR). No SSSS.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're missing the point.

Not to mention, this post:
None of the above.

When it comes to BA passengers connecting onto AA flights on single ticket interaries and who have been flagged for SSSS on AA flights, BA -- agents or kiosks -- aren't necessarily allowed to issue the boarding passes for such passengers' AA-operated flights out of LHR.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
None of the above.

When it comes to BA passengers connecting onto AA flights on single ticket interaries and who have been flagged for SSSS on AA flights, BA -- agents or kiosks -- aren't necessarily allowed to issue the boarding passes for such passengers' AA-operated flights out of LHR.
C'mon already.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28785509-post41.html

Stick to the facts, please and don't feed into the OP's wacky conspiracy theory.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
FYI I've been told in the past that JFK-LHR SDFC is only available if you're O&D JFK-LHR or vice versa and that itineraries with connections but with a JFK-LHR leg are not eligible for SDFC on the JFK-LHR leg. Of course sometimes you can find an agent who figures a way btbcurious if anyone confirm that this is indeed policy.
Not in my experience. Changed many tickets with extra connections at both ends without an issue - revenue tickets upgraded with GPU, haven't tried a pure award.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It's good FT introduced a Like functionality for each post. Too bad they didn't offer a Disklike/Thumbs Down. I would Thumbs down the first post.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by seawolf
It's good FT introduced a Like functionality for each post. Too bad they didn't offer a Disklike/Thumbs Down. I would Thumbs down the first post.
I had the news on with what's happening down in the Caribbean with Irma when I came across this post...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Because if there's anything we've learned over the years on FT, it's that making vague threats to company agents that have absolutely nothing to do with what you're talking about is a great way to have them treat you the way you are hoping.

I guess it's the same thought process as "hey, I won't tell the people I'm travelling with about their options. That'll help me too!"

Interesting routing.
My summary of the interaction with something like what might have really happened:

Dude: Hey, I'd really like to change to an earlier flight even though I didn't buy a fare that can be changed that way.

Agent: <types, looks stuff up> I'm sorry sir, I cannot change this ticket to an earlier flight for you.

Dude: But I looked stuff up and I'm really doing you a favor by changing and I deserve this change even though I didn't pay for it because I'm extra special. Plus your rules are stupid so you should just change them for me (but not other people). Ok?

Agent: I'm sorry sir, I still can't change your flight.

Dude: DYKWIA! Treat me with the deference I deserve. You're just an agent. You know how much money I spend? Me and important people like me pay for your cute little salary. If we don't get the treatment we want, anything could happen . . . How do you like this job?

Agent: still, I'm sorry, nothing has changed from what I told you a minute ago. You'll need to board your originally scheduled flight.

Dude: I'm always the best customer. You know, I could've royally f*cked up a delayed flight even more the other day by telling lots of people to demand the compensation they could get. But I didn't do it because I just wanted to board at last even though I knew. Next time I'm telling everyone and I'm going to be a thorn in your side. Don't f-ing mess with me or I'll mess you up next time.

Agent: Sorry sir, extortion attempts don't work for me. I can't move you to another flight. I feel like a broken record here. I can reprint your boarding pass if you like? <reprints pass and hands it to dude>

​​​​​​​Dude: <walks away with pass> Ssss? That f-ing b*tch! I'm never flying AA or any airline ever again.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I don't begrudge OP asking if he could move to an earlier flight. In the old days, AC Aangels used to be able to do a lot of things like that. That being said, the Galleries First Lounge at LHR is a really great place to hang out in for a couple of hours

And, I really don't think the agent in the FL had anything to do with the SSSS. It happens. Last week I got it twice on two different airlines (not AA) even though my global entry is in their system and I normally get precheck.
Cofyknsult likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.