Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2019 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread may be read here.

American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.

A. If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.

Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2019 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
London Heathrow / LHR departures interrupted by drone sightings

More drone nonsense, this time LHR. If you’re flying to / from / via LHR, you may be affected by any suspension or the after effects.

BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46803713
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by goldengate
Many morning flights cancelled between DFW and LAX / SFO / everywhere... wow. It must have been a huge mess there this morning. Strange that even now the storm has passed they are seeing big delays... maybe they don't have crews / metal in place?
SJC was no better that day (Dec 27). We were booked on AA172 (onward to LHR/BRU), but it was cancelled soon after clearing security. I saw space available on the exact same flights for the next day. Fortunately, the TA was able to rebook us accordingly, and we headed home to rest up.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:29 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Stuck in the polar vortex. My ORD-DEN was canceled. Now flying ORD-CLT-DEN in Y (original flight was in F).

Of course UA's nonstops are wide open, but AA won't put me on one of those because it's weather related
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Stuck in the polar vortex. My ORD-DEN was canceled. Now flying ORD-CLT-DEN in Y (original flight was in F).

Of course UA's nonstops are wide open, but AA won't put me on one of those because it's weather related
Same place as you - was supposed to fly back COS-ORD, cancled it out an hour before departure, and would only rebook me for tomorrow (after they also already cancled my ORD-DFW-ICN, causing me to fly ORD-HKG-ICN now on CX tomorrow) having me arrive after that already rebooked flight.

Hung up on the agent, extended my rental car to drop off at DEN, and had AA cancle out my return completly so I booked a walk up ticket on UA back to ORD. I should make out about even in the difference between the two tickets, so guess its not too bad.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
I'm a platinum member booked on a roundtrip domestic economy milesaaver ticket (T) leaving tomorrow (1/31) and returning Sunday. My flights were cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked on economy tickets on O (outbound leg) and V (return leg). After I was rebooked I am being shown the option to request an upgrade. But when I go to submit the upgrade, I get an error "Our system is having trouble. Please try again or come back later." Is that an indication that the system won't let me submit an upgrade request (presumably because I was booked on an award ticket)?

Is it worth pursuing an upgrade with an agent at the airport, or will I just be denied?

Thanks for your help..
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bspahn
I'm a platinum member booked on a roundtrip domestic economy milesaaver ticket (T) leaving tomorrow (1/31) and returning Sunday. My flights were cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked on economy tickets on O (outbound leg) and V (return leg). After I was rebooked I am being shown the option to request an upgrade. But when I go to submit the upgrade, I get an error "Our system is having trouble. Please try again or come back later." Is that an indication that the system won't let me submit an upgrade request (presumably because I was booked on an award ticket)?

Is it worth pursuing an upgrade with an agent at the airport, or will I just be denied?

Thanks for your help..
I’d try calling first, or sending a DM to the Twitter team.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’d try calling first, or sending a DM to the Twitter team.
So just to update on what actually happened...

I didn't talk to customer service or the twitter team about it, but I did speak to several different gate agents. They all said that the system was rejecting their upgrade requests. One leg was auto-requested (because it was less than 500 miles), but the upgrade wouldn't clear and the gate agent said it was because it was an award ticket. In this case, it seems that though I was booked in a revenue fare class, all the rules about award tickets still apply.

I'll add that I also didn't receive award miles for the flights (as is normal for an award ticket).

tl;dr: despite being re-booked on V and O tickets, everything worked like a normal award ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
This is a new one for me.

GF is on 126 today from HKG-DFW. Flight diverted to HND for a "mechcanical issue", she has been sitting on the plane now for 3 hrs with no information. EXP agents have given me 3 different answers about when the plane would take off again (including the first saying it was already in the air again); obviously they have no idea. They wouldnt tell when/if she would be off loaded from the plane so I could get her a hotel room, and no actual useful information I couldnt have gleamed from Flightaware. AA's own website says the flight is still enroute..
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...755Z/VHHH/RJTT
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
General rant warning...

Was booked to fly MCO-LGA in F with the wife tonight. A few hours ago AA binned the flight due to snow in NYC and the only options on the app were at 6.20am tomorrow morning or a slew of flights in main cabin with a connection. I was happy to travel tomorrow night but whilst waiting on hold for almost an hour (OW Emerald doesn’t seem to reach the EXP desk anymore) a ton of options for 2 in FC vapourized. Then despite AA.com showing 2 seats on certain flights whilst refreshing the page on the phone with the agent she was only seeing 1 seat. I’d be refreshing the flight options page and things would disappear/reappear almost instantly.

By this stage there were no flights for two together in FC into JFK/LGA at all tomorrow (bar the unworkable 6.20am flight that we’d been held on automatically) so we ended up canceling and rebooking on B6. At least we’ll have more legroom in Even More Space, I guess...

The first time I’ve had IRROPS on AA and not been able to resolve things happily so rather disappointing in almost 15yrs of pretty regular travel on AA.

Although I confirmed with the agent I was going to cancel and requested the refund on AA.com the app is still showing the reservation and even allowing me to start the check-in process. Don’t want to take it too far, is this just a quirk or did something go awry? Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Am I just unlucky?

So far in 2019

10 flights arriving on time
4 flights arriving between 60 and 90 minutes late
2 flights over 4 hours delayed
2 cancellations (including today's 1015 cancelled 11 hours before departure )

Before you say it has been bad weather...only one of the cancellations was caused by weather, and none of the delays.

I am now rebooked on a flight 4 1/2 hours earlier than originally planned, in the back of a 737-800 OASIS configuration. Then a 6 hour layover in Chicago.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
anyone know why two flights from DFW to MCI are canceled today?
AA 2267 & AA 1269

Thank you
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ceres
anyone know why two flights from DFW to MCI are canceled today?
AA 2267 & AA 1269

Thank you
14 737-800's are out of service, maybe related to that

Oasis refit: ~14 738 AA planes temp. grounded for bin irregularities
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
Why is AA always the last airline to issue a travel advisory? DEN is expecting 4" - 8" of snow with 30 - 40 winds on Wednesday afternoon/evening. Everyone else posted travel advisories as soon as the winter storm/blizzard watch was posted.

Not the first time for this...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

12 March 2019: Winter Storm Ulmer - Rocky Mountains and Great Plains U.S. link to AA travel alert

13 March 2019 is full of IROPS material.

Rolling delays and weather at DFW.

Boeing 737 MAX aircraft grounded by FAA emergency order “until further notice”, including the 24 AA operated 7M8s operating 85 flights daily. See

AA announcement here.

Thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...d-fly-one.html.

(Apparently a Bulletin was released close to this posting stating AA agents can reschedule 7M8 scheduled flyers through 4 April free of charge.)

Previous posts have been archived.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just called the OSO number referenced in the wiki (800-446-7834). Message said "The American Airlines number you called has been changed. The new number is 800-443-7300" which, of course, is the main AA number. Thought I'd try this since call back time on the EXP line is close to two hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.