Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
I was on AA 2933 MIA-EWR on Saturday March 12th.

First delay of an hour was due to need to locate a flight crew.

Once onboard while taxi-ing we were informed we needed to return to the gate due to a mechanical issue. Pilot said 2-3 hours.

However the gate agent said everyone's boarding pass will need to be re-issued and everyone spent the next 2 hours waiting in line while this sole agent re-printed everyone's boarding passes. The agent also made repeated announcements that we should ignore the new seat assignments printed on the new BP and use the old seat assignments. Was the re-printing of everyone's BPs necessary to "re-check them in" or the result of an inexperienced agent?

Ultimately took off around 9pm and made it to EWR at midnight.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:39 pm

DFW Weather - Monday

Looks like some weather rolling in on Monday.

I am routed via DFW to LHR

How soon do AA pick up this and begin to make rerouting plans? Or do they even do this? Do they just cancel and leave us to make alternate plans.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
I’ve had a few instances where the AA app had an alert that they expected weather and I could change my international flight for free in the last few months, most recently on February 22 on CDG-DFW. I believe it started 12-15 hours out. It was always at a point where I wasn’t at the airport and could extend my trips easily.

Last edited by WalruSara; Mar 20, 2022 at 2:19 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
A Travel Alert was issued for DFW earlier this afternoon.

Travel alerts − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by JBKettle
A Travel Alert was issued for DFW earlier this afternoon.

Travel alerts − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)
After their early Feb weather issues I’m done helping them out and rebooking through the app. Actually the last two weather events I did just that and kind of screwed myself up pretty badly. Short version, if I would’ve taken my delayed flight to DFW I would’ve made my connection, as it was equally late. By rebooking I was then at AA’s mercy as they cancelled all flight to JAN for the next two days. The upshot is if the weather is at my destination, I’ll rebook for later. If it’s in DFW, I’m going to fly if they operate, regardless of the delay. AA along with all other domestic carriers are crap at recovering their hub operations after poor weather, so I’ll take my chances on the first day things start to suck. I’ve got a 1030a departure to LAX-DFW and a 525p flight to BOG tomorrow. I’m all in to DFW no matter how late they are provided they operate. I’ll report back after and let you know if I’m as smart as I think I am!
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Tack
After their early Feb weather issues I’m done helping them out and rebooking through the app.
<clipped>
How is rebooking that way, "helping them out"?
If it actually works out, it is helping you out to save time on the phone. I understand in didn't help you out that time, but how did it help them out?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by mvoight
How is rebooking that way, "helping them out"?
If it actually works out, it is helping you out to save time on the phone. I understand in didn't help you out that time, but how did it help them out?
The idea of doing anything online or via the app is related to lowering costs. In my 36 years at AS we couldn’t wait to implement these type of IT initiatives for that reason. 1. They reduced our head count and FTE’s at call centers and airports. 2. They lowered the number of customers that would tie up resources at the airport. In a weather event our concern was the amount of OT that’d be paid to customer contact staff. It’s a fine line between providing adequate service and managing costs. Any airline IT initiative that’s available to customers is a cost item first, and a customer convince item second. While I’ll continue to use the app rebooking feature, it’ll be when my origin or destination are affected, but when it’s a hub connection and I need to be somewhere? I’ll press on if they choose to operate. YMMV

Last edited by Tack; Mar 21, 2022 at 5:41 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:54 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
After their early Feb weather issues I’m done helping them out and rebooking through the app. Actually the last two weather events I did just that and kind of screwed myself up pretty badly. Short version, if I would’ve taken my delayed flight to DFW I would’ve made my connection, as it was equally late. By rebooking I was then at AA’s mercy as they cancelled all flight to JAN for the next two days. The upshot is if the weather is at my destination, I’ll rebook for later. If it’s in DFW, I’m going to fly if they operate, regardless of the delay. AA along with all other domestic carriers are crap at recovering their hub operations after poor weather, so I’ll take my chances on the first day things start to suck. I’ve got a 1030a departure to LAX-DFW and a 525p flight to BOG tomorrow. I’m all in to DFW no matter how late they are provided they operate. I’ll report back after and let you know if I’m as smart as I think I am!
The idea of doing anything online or via the app is related to lowering costs. In my 36 years at AS we couldn’t wait to implement these type of IT initiatives for that reason. 1. They reduced our head count and FTE’s at call centers and airports. 2. They lowered the number of customers that would tie up resources at the airport. In a weather event our concern was the amount of OT that’d be paid to customer contact staff. It’s a fine line between providing adequate service and managing costs. Any airline IT initiative that’s available to customers is a cost item first, and a customer convince item second. While I’ll continue to use the app rebooking feature, it’ll be when my origin or destination are affected, but when it’s a hub connection and I need to be somewhere? I’ll press on if they choose to operate. YMMV
I agree with you here, especially for travel through DFW. Typically everything is delayed by the same amount, otherwise it would be a mess in ops trying to get some flights out on time vs doubling the delays of others. Plus, there's no point sending a flight out on time and half empty due to misconnects over waiting an equal amount as the inbound delays so everyone can connect.
AA obviously wants everyone to do self-service, and some people (including myself) prefer it that way so we can see the list of options before making a decision. It would also be hard/impossible for them to have a group of call center staff that are only paid when there's weather (and OT is expensive), so it helps everyone out: - The people who can & want to use the app can book, and therefore don't call. The people who do call have less of a wait as they would have otherwise. And AA doesn't have to staff as many people in the call center should there be any weather delays.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
AA 2435

Fiance is supposed to fly home today SAV-DFW and the flight has had rolling delays all day. Currently expected to depart at 4:00pm (9 hours late) which has it getting into Dallas at the same time as the storms.

Chances she makes it home tonight?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Fiance is supposed to fly home today SAV-DFW and the flight has had rolling delays all day. Currently expected to depart at 4:00pm (9 hours late) which has it getting into Dallas at the same time as the storms.

Chances she makes it home tonight?
If it were me, I'd probably be booking a hotel for tonight that was fully refundable until at least 6pm.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
If it were me, I'd probably be booking a hotel for tonight that was fully refundable until at least 6pm.
Do those still exist? Every reservation I've made for quite some time had to be cancelled by at least the day before--or even earlier--in order not to be charged.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm not super worried about them being able to find a hotel for the night as the problem in SAV is MX and not weather
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:33 pm

2435 just cancelled. No rental cars at SAV and AA wouldn't help anyone at the airport, just told them to call customer service.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
2435 just cancelled. No rental cars at SAV and AA wouldn't help anyone at the airport, just told them to call customer service.
For a hotel for a MX, customer service will likely refer you back to the airport for a voucher, unless you get one in your email automatically. Fwiw, I wouldn’t trust the “call customer service” instruction
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1
For a hotel for a MX, customer service will likely refer you back to the airport for a voucher, unless you get one in your email automatically. Fwiw, I wouldn’t trust the “call customer service” instruction
They set something up to get accommodations at the ticket counter. I was worried for a bit that since the plane went MX this morning but they ultimately cancelled because of weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.