Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Is DFW still a mess? Just had BWI-DFW and DFW-SAN cancelled for tomorrow. May just recovery?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Poor customer service response to downgrade

I bought a first class ticket (paying for it) and was downgraded to coach on a new flight after my original flight was canceled.

AA didn’t give a refund for the fare difference, and when I contacted Customer Service and explained what happened and asked for “appropriate compensation”, the only response I got was instructions on how to seek a refund online.

Bad customer service!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Using FlightAware data to predict for myself and the rebook

I was on a scheduled PIT-ORD-SEA routing for Feb 18 that I had booked earlier this month. After I get down at SeaTac I was going to the Tukwila Amtrak station and take the Cascades at 2:26 PM on to Portland Union Station.
Initially I was on this routing PIT-ORD AA 3700 615am- 714am, then ORD-SEA – AA 1987 Feb 18, 9:25 AM–12:01 PM) and I would have had comfortable time to reach the nearby station (*10-15mins Uber)

However, the AA app kept showing travel alerts (for both PIT and ORD) and offered certain rebooking options at no change in price so I decided to switch to the PIT-PHX – AA 876 Feb 18, 07:00 AM–09:55 AM and then on to
PHX-SEA – AA 2781 Feb 18, 11:11 AM–1:19 PM.

Assuming everything goes fine (ie leave PIT on time, land on time in PHX, then take off on time, I still feel like I would a little tight on time when I arrive at SeaTac (a new airport to me). Ok, so long story short, here are the few main questions

Q1: Is there a way using FlightAware data (wind speed etc and instrument notes MVFR, IFR, snow etc) to predict how likely a flight is to be cancelled?

Q2: As someone basically flying for a Mileage run of sorts (I am meeting friends in PDX for the weekend, return on Tue Feb 22 night) is it smart to volunteer to get bumped, take the credit and fly later? AA has asked me on the app to volunteer (500, 700, 850, 1050 were the options), which brings me to Q3 -->

Q3: Does American rebook you ( in case of IROPS) on to Alaska flights. Is there any chance they could rebook by outward on AS 417 (it's the cheapest flight I see for O/W routings on Alaska website and that shows both AS and AA flights. This would be put me in PIT at 1242pm but I will lose one segment (EQS) but hey, the credit would nt hurt. Or should I get to PIT real early and try to route myself through LGA etc and get to SEA later in the day (extra segment and EQMs but no credit probably). Of course, I think they may route me through CLT and getting me to SEA at ~5pm then I would have to do the 6-ish Amtrak.

Sorry for the long essay but the main thing for me is to try to see what is the likelihood the 7am PIT-PHX could end up getting cancelled based on these weather and flight rule predictions.

Has anyone tried other tricks during MRs that end up getting affected due to IROPS to make sure you still get where you want to go and with some addl perks (credits, extra flying miles due routing or class change etc.) thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by psusaver
what is the likelihood the 7am PIT-PHX could end up getting cancelled based on these weather and flight rule predictions.
thanks in advance.
Adding a quick visual of the weather page (saved as of 11:30am on Thur Feb 17)

Weather from FlightAware for KPIT - saved on Feb 17 2022
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
I was on a scheduled PIT-ORD-SEA routing for Feb 18 that I had booked earlier this month. After I get down at SeaTac I was going to the Tukwila Amtrak station and take the Cascades at 2:26 PM on to Portland Union Station.
Initially I was on this routing PIT-ORD AA 3700 615am- 714am, then ORD-SEA – AA 1987 Feb 18, 9:25 AM–12:01 PM) and I would have had comfortable time to reach the nearby station (*10-15mins Uber)

However, the AA app kept showing travel alerts (for both PIT and ORD) and offered certain rebooking options at no change in price so I decided to switch to the PIT-PHX – AA 876 Feb 18, 07:00 AM–09:55 AM and then on to
PHX-SEA – AA 2781 Feb 18, 11:11 AM–1:19 PM.

Assuming everything goes fine (ie leave PIT on time, land on time in PHX, then take off on time, I still feel like I would a little tight on time when I arrive at SeaTac (a new airport to me). Ok, so long story short, here are the few main questions

Q1: Is there a way using FlightAware data (wind speed etc and instrument notes MVFR, IFR, snow etc) to predict how likely a flight is to be cancelled?

Q2: As someone basically flying for a Mileage run of sorts (I am meeting friends in PDX for the weekend, return on Tue Feb 22 night) is it smart to volunteer to get bumped, take the credit and fly later? AA has asked me on the app to volunteer (500, 700, 850, 1050 were the options), which brings me to Q3 -->

Q3: Does American rebook you ( in case of IROPS) on to Alaska flights. Is there any chance they could rebook by outward on AS 417 (it's the cheapest flight I see for O/W routings on Alaska website and that shows both AS and AA flights. This would be put me in PIT at 1242pm but I will lose one segment (EQS) but hey, the credit would nt hurt. Or should I get to PIT real early and try to route myself through LGA etc and get to SEA later in the day (extra segment and EQMs but no credit probably). Of course, I think they may route me through CLT and getting me to SEA at ~5pm then I would have to do the 6-ish Amtrak.

Sorry for the long essay but the main thing for me is to try to see what is the likelihood the 7am PIT-PHX could end up getting cancelled based on these weather and flight rule predictions.

Has anyone tried other tricks during MRs that end up getting affected due to IROPS to make sure you still get where you want to go and with some addl perks (credits, extra flying miles due routing or class change etc.) thanks in advance.
Typing this from the PHX club waiting on today's AA2781 to SEA:

1. There's no way to predict delays or cancellations aside from major storm systems. Then you just have to assume you're going to extremely delayed be cancelled.
2. Depends on how flexible you are. They'll confirm you on the next flight with availability if you are bumped. Depends on passengers loads if that's the next flight or subsequent ones.
3. I want to say yes but honestly I am not sure. As an EXP, I had a couple of flights cancel on 2/4 due to weather and the EXP agent couldn't get the new itinerary to ticket. I asked to be booked on AS after an hour to trying and she obliged. It was economy when I booked business, although I was upgraded on one segment due to OWE Emerald. So maybe?
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Adding a quick visual of the weather page (saved as of 11:30am on Thur Feb 17)

Weather from FlightAware for KPIT - saved on Feb 17 2022
Given this Metar data, weather forecasts at that time might mean a probability of a delay for deicing but cancellations seem unlikely. But it really depends on so many other things, it's tough to say.
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Given this Metar data, weather forecasts at that time might mean a probability of a delay for deicing but cancellations seem unlikely. But it really depends on so many other things, it's tough to say.
Thanks for the earlier comments too "I asked to be booked on AS after an hour to trying and she obliged."
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Trip report: Oddly enough, after all the "weather alert" scares, the PIT-ORD left/arrived on time and the ORD-SEA was only 20 mins late. But my first rebooked flight (PIT-PHX) was 20 mins late. Didn't matter to me as I volunteered to be bumped and ended up with a PIT-CLT-SEA, and a decent trip credit.

PIT-CLT was extra legroom seat behind F, but the next CLT-SEA was an over the wing, standard economy seat (13F). Felt rough 😂 to be traveling in economy on long flights. Now I can see why some folks here are so concerned about the status and upgrades.

Sunset arrival at SeaTac.

95% of pax kept their window shades down. Sad, as the views of the mountains were amazing as a cool arrival close to sunset.
wrp96 and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:32 am

Just became an EP through a bunch of credit card spending. I'm currently DL DM and their IROPS seem to be pretty good when there is an issue, especially with weather. Considering that I fly to a lot of places on the east coast, and the main issue I hit is weather, how good in AA in helping EP's on weather related flights? Apart from the usual standby bump and re-booking, would they book you into a hotel if the next flight is the following day? Would you be able to pay for your own flight and get it re-imbursed? Would they offer any compensation?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
AA Customer Service response today:Thank you for reaching out to Customer Relations. My name is Anna and I am here to respond. I am sorry to learn about your children's experience. As a mother myself, I can understand your concerns.

Every day, parents express their highest degree of confidence in us by sending their children unaccompanied on our flights. Our in-flight personnel are carefully trained to provide supervision and warm and friendly attention to these young travelers, and we work closely with all our employees to provide them with a special sense of awareness of any child traveling alone. I'm sorry to hear that, despite these safeguards, the level of attention afforded to your child was unsatisfactory. Please accept my most sincere apology.

Because of the circumstances you described, my colleague has authorized a refund of the Unaccompanied Minor fees you paid on January 5. At the same time, a $100 Trip Credit has been issued for both children as well. You should have received them by now.

We strive to provide a world-class travel experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Your comments will be made available to our leadership for review. Every day our team is working to make flying with us better. James, from all of us at American Airlines, we appreciate your business and look forward to serving your future travel needs.

Seems like involuntary denied boarding compensation would be more than $100?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I bought a first class ticket (paying for it) and was downgraded to coach on a new flight after my original flight was canceled.

AA didn’t give a refund for the fare difference, and when I contacted Customer Service and explained what happened and asked for “appropriate compensation”, the only response I got was instructions on how to seek a refund online.

Bad customer service!
As far as I'm concerned that's grounds for a chargeback. You paid for F and didn't get it.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:01 am

Travel Waiver

Trying to rebook a flight for tomorrow that is eligible for a change due to weather in the Northeast. I am being told that even though there is economy availability that there are limited seats available for the waiver and it can't be changed to those flights. Is that a thing? They also said that it can't be changed to a co-terminal (flying into BUR, but obviously there are a lot more options to LAX.)

This was a BusinessExtraa ticket and has been nothing but problems (didn't get ticketed correctly because they did a tiny schedule change between booking and ticketing).
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by amybd
Trying to rebook a flight for tomorrow that is eligible for a change due to weather in the Northeast. I am being told that even though there is economy availability that there are limited seats available for the waiver and it can't be changed to those flights. Is that a thing? They also said that it can't be changed to a co-terminal (flying into BUR, but obviously there are a lot more options to LAX.)

This was a BusinessExtraa ticket and has been nothing but problems (didn't get ticketed correctly because they did a tiny schedule change between booking and ticketing).
No that doesn't make any sense. Who did you call, normal AA reservations or Meeting Services?

By the sound of it you got a poorly trained rep who was trying to process this as a normal award change (in which case you would need award availabilty on the new flights) rather than a travel waiver change where you should be able to switch to pretty much anything in the same class of service.

Easier said than done, but HUCA.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:30 am

On the phone with someone else with normal AA reservations. He says they have to call "Tariff" to make changes and the previous rep (Meeting Services) had to do the same based on the notes. Hoping that it works this time.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:06 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Odd. Usually an even exchange onto pretty much anything reasonable due to weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.