Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the change trip button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m.  7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. Im stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now Ill have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 stickers AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
AA has a bad weather policy that allows additional scheduling flexibility (and has nothing to do with SDFC or status, as I understand it), with the intent being to avoid the problematic city.

For IROPS, AA will also allow you a departure airport change within 300 miles (I've never used this, only discussed it with the ExP desk).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:59 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
It generally has to be an hour delay before the app starts offering alternatives.

The delayed flight change policy applies to everyone not just PRO/EXP/CK.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: CK or bust
The self re-accommodation features of the app and aa.com aren't always helpful or comprehensive when it comes to irregular operations so an airport, club, or phone agent can provide better assistance if you're not seeing what you need.

Where status can make a difference is the ability to reach a phone agent faster (in most cases) and re-accommodation options on other metal.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VFR
The delayed flight change policy applies to everyone not just PRO/EXP/CK.
Yup. EXP and CK are stuck with the same nerfed SDFC as the OP at PPRO.

The reason i find SDFC useless during IRROPS is that AA likes to rolling delay and retro delay flights (departure was 4:30, it's now 5 pm and they move the departure to 5 PM), so you can't proactively fix a soon-to-be problem
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yup. EXP and CK are stuck with the same nerfed SDFC as the OP at PPRO.

The reason i find SDFC useless during IRROPS is that AA likes to rolling delay and retro delay flights (departure was 4:30, it's now 5 pm and they move the departure to 5 PM), so you can't proactively fix a soon-to-be problem
Indeed. After the fourth 30 minute delay invariably options become very limited as the later banks depart and the AA app background changes to this:

Antarius, safari ari and _fx like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:31 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
In addition to the above, if your first flight is so delayed that it puts your connection below the "minimum connecting time" then agents will absolutely accommodate you on other flights/routings (I once did JFK-PHX-CLT-DCA just because I wanted to).
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Status generally has nothing to do with SFDC/IRROPS. In IRROPS, AA will usually be flexible in getting you to your destination.

I say usually because I had the following experience a couple of years ago. I'm flying PHL-LAX-LAS, 4PM departure. PHL-LAX goes Mx. I go right to the customer service desk and ask to be rebooked on a 6PM PHL-LAS nonstop. AAgent refuses and says she will only book me on a 5:45PM connection through LAX. I point out to her that this is IRROPS, and not only that but it's Mx, not Wx. AAgent is unmoved. I walk away toward the gate from which the nonstop is leaving (it's in another terminal) and as I do I call AA (this was, I think, pre-COVID when wait times weren't 4 hours) and the phone AAgent moves me to the nonstop.

I don't know what the time trigger is, but I don't try to manipulate the system for a 10-minute delay. When I'm trying to change, it's usually because it's been at least 45 minutes or so. If I feel I'm going to miss my connection, I'll start trying to rebook on the phone at that point.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:09 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
Status generally has nothing to do with SFDC/IRROPS. In IRROPS, AA will usually be flexible in getting you to your destination.

I say usually because I had the following experience a couple of years ago. I'm flying PHL-LAX-LAS, 4PM departure. PHL-LAX goes Mx. I go right to the customer service desk and ask to be rebooked on a 6PM PHL-LAS nonstop. AAgent refuses and says she will only book me on a 5:45PM connection through LAX. I point out to her that this is IRROPS, and not only that but it's Mx, not Wx. AAgent is unmoved. I walk away toward the gate from which the nonstop is leaving (it's in another terminal) and as I do I call AA (this was, I think, pre-COVID when wait times weren't 4 hours) and the phone AAgent moves me to the nonstop.

I don't know what the time trigger is, but I don't try to manipulate the system for a 10-minute delay. When I'm trying to change, it's usually because it's been at least 45 minutes or so. If I feel I'm going to miss my connection, I'll start trying to rebook on the phone at that point.
That's just a bad AAgent. Same thing could happen on the phone (though less likely w/ EXP desk) or even at the AC (though even less likely IME). I personally would never ever go to the "customer service desk" at any airport... those agents have to be the most miserable of all (and justifiably, because they have to deal with all the people who never fly and don't understand anything).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That's just a bad AAgent. Same thing could happen on the phone (though less likely w/ EXP desk) or even at the AC (though even less likely IME).
I've always found the AC staff being the most helpful, either they're bored or just that much better at customer servicing the "elite". I've had some very accommodating agents basically double book me until it was clear which flight would go out first, or sit there and continually come check on me every 10 minutes with updates.

Now that I think about it, maybe AA has crap reliability to push people to renew their AC memberships.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by safari ari
I've always found the AC staff being the most helpful, either they're bored or just that much better at customer servicing the "elite". I've had some very accommodating agents basically double book me until it was clear which flight would go out first, or sit there and continually come check on me every 10 minutes with updates.

Now that I think about it, maybe AA has crap reliability to push people to renew their AC memberships.
I've never had an AC membership. I've had an Amex Plat card for years, so I know I had USAir Club access, and probably there was a brief period after the merger before Plat lost AC access. I've had pretty good success though with the EXP phone line.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Thanks everyone - this has been very helpful. It sounds like this really isn't an issue. It would, in some respects, be nice to be a bit proactive if you're seeing a lot of delays out of an airport, particularly because sometimes airlines in general like to wait to delay flights until last minute, and it would be nice to not find yourself delayed halfway to your connection. But, at least there's some recourse.

As a side note about the AC membership, I've also had centurion/AMEX for a while now, but am leaning toward the Citi card that gives AC access for next year - in part because of this. I don't expect them to live up to Centurion lounges, but for IRROPs and a short layover where AC is closer than Centurion (or if Centurion just doesn't exist at all at that airport), it could be a nice added feature.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:49 pm
TCG

AA2180 Delayed 23 hours

AA2180 scheduled for 1020 dec 5 was delayed incrementally several times and even taxied out only to have crew time out while waiting for take off. Now delayed overnight until 0930 DEC 6

Any insight as to what happened?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
AA106 was delayed 10+ hours two nights in a row (this past Tuesday) due to "crew availability." We ultimately cancelled our UK trip because we were downgraded to a 772 from a 77W in paid F and as our COVID test results expired.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:50 am

AA1880 ORD-EWR rolling delays today since 10:25am this morning central time, from multiple delays due to mx and late a/c arriving. My wife's analyst is dealing with this in ORD as we speak.

Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by TCG
AA2180 scheduled for 1020 dec 5 was delayed incrementally several times and even taxied out only to have crew time out while waiting for take off. Now delayed overnight until 0930 DEC 6

Any insight as to what happened?
I wish I had caught this earlier for you so I could show you what happened. You can only look back one day on ExpertFlyer (EF) to see, otherwise I'd share. Definitely look into a membership. It's cheap and really comes in handy with understanding what's happening during IRROPS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.