Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the change trip button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m.  7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. Im stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now Ill have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 stickers AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:26 pm

Plane was flying from CLT to FLL then from FLL to CLT back.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Does anyone have a link to AA's current policy in regards to re-accommodation for schedule changes/irrops?

I could have sworn Lucky blogged about it in detail, but I can't seem to find the article anymore.

It was essentially this: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...-wont-like-it/

But there was a chart outlining in detail the differences between no-status, EXPs, oneworld elites, and premium ticket holders what changes could be made. (e.g. CKs could be rebooked onto other airlines in schedule changes, but no status could not)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by keitherson
Does anyone have a link to AA's current policy in regards to re-accommodation for schedule changes/irrops?

I could have sworn Lucky blogged about it in detail, but I can't seem to find the article anymore.

It was essentially this: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...-wont-like-it/

But there was a chart outlining in detail the differences between no-status, EXPs, oneworld elites, and premium ticket holders what changes could be made. (e.g. CKs could be rebooked onto other airlines in schedule changes, but no status could not)
Cranky Flier: https://crankyflier.com/2018/10/02/a...ings-go-wrong/

TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-cla...l-be-rebooked/

Cranky Fliers chart:

enviroian and keitherson like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Perfect, thank you!
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the bad luck to be booked on AA this Wednesday into PHL when, it would appear, the worst winter storm in a couple of years may hit the city. Due to the Covid flight reductions, I don't have a lot of alternatives to get there on Tuesday -- like one flight. Any idea when AA might issue a travel waiver? When nor'easters are forecast, my recollection is the airlines usually post travel waivers like 2 days beforehand, so that would be tomorrow (Monday). Does that sound about right? Fortunately, I'm assuming Tuesday will be a light travel day so there should be some seats available but, on the other hand, there aren't many flights either -- especially into PHL, where AA has really pulled down midweek flying during the pandemic.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I have the bad luck to be booked on AA this Wednesday into PHL when, it would appear, the worst winter storm in a couple of years may hit the city. Due to the Covid flight reductions, I don't have a lot of alternatives to get there on Tuesday -- like one flight. Any idea when AA might issue a travel waiver? When nor'easters are forecast, my recollection is the airlines usually post travel waivers like 2 days beforehand, so that would be tomorrow (Monday). Does that sound about right? Fortunately, I'm assuming Tuesday will be a light travel day so there should be some seats available but, on the other hand, there aren't many flights either -- especially into PHL, where AA has really pulled down midweek flying during the pandemic.
try to rebook yourself on AA.com or aa app. If the flight price is the same or less - it will be free for you. Or you can call reservations and see if they can accommodate you before official travel waiver is issued. Im pretty sure they are more flexible right now due to covid
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15
try to rebook yourself on AA.com or aa app. If the flight price is the same or less - it will be free for you. Or you can call reservations and see if they can accommodate you before official travel waiver is issued. I’m pretty sure they are more flexible right now due to covid
None of this worked until AA belatedly issued a travel waiver this afternoon (a day after a winter storm watch was issued by the NWS). Even then, the telephone agent I spoke to was poorly informed and I had to read him the word-by-word text before he agreed to make a fee-free flight change.

BTW, I had bought this ticket through the Citi Thank You website to use my Citi points. AA's website does not allow you to make ticket changes -- including weather related changes -- if you buy your ticket elsewhere. Something to keep in mind as it is much easier to use AA's website than its phone agents for changes.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hi All,

May I ask: does AA also have a list that spells out the order in which they prioritise which passengers to help (e.g. EXPs, OWEs, premium cabin passengers, etc) in the event of an IROPS ? In a similar vein, would anyone happen to know if BA GGLs are high on that list, or are they treated no differently from other OWEs during IROPs?

Thanks, everyone! Stay safe!

Last edited by manysyllables; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:44 am
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:06 pm

Anyone know of a contact aa in that has common sense they keep on delaying my flights and I get no normal responses . I flew lga stop in ohare then Memphis and then flight back from Memphis that night. I made a backup flight out of Midway on sw because aa has been screwing me with stopovers lately, sure enough my ohare,Memphis flight got delayed 3 and half hours plus so I took the sw flight and aa had no flights coming in that would let me make my flight back to NY and one united flight that would of been a 2and half hour delay. Now aa wants to give back the residual value and charge me for the first leg that their gonna make up the amount themselves, this is besides the lyft and Southwest ticket i had to pay ,has anyone heard something as insane as this besides, the agent at the airport told me I'll get my money back nothing about residual value
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EP
Honestly, you made the decision to abandon the 2nd half of your connection. While this would have resulted in a forced overnight, your decision does normally force a re-faring of your ticket. Suggest reaching out to customer relations but I wouldnt expect a different decision on the re-fare but maybe they will throw a voucher or miles to you.

Originally Posted by Ijones027
Anyone know of a contact aa in that has common sense they keep on delaying my flights and I get no normal responses . I flew lga stop in ohare then Memphis and then flight back from Memphis that night. I made a backup flight out of Midway on sw because aa has been screwing me with stopovers lately, sure enough my ohare,Memphis flight got delayed 3 and half hours plus so I took the sw flight and aa had no flights coming in that would let me make my flight back to NY and one united flight that would of been a 2and half hour delay. Now aa wants to give back the residual value and charge me for the first leg that their gonna make up the amount themselves, this is besides the lyft and Southwest ticket i had to pay ,has anyone heard something as insane as this besides, the agent at the airport told me I'll get my money back nothing about residual value
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Aa6025 - 10apr2021

Is there any way for a layperson such as myself to find out why this flight was delayed (AA6025 on April 10, 2021)? It was quite substantial and the gate agents were not able to provide any information other than the fact that the incoming aircraft had been delayed in RIC.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
Is there any way for a layperson such as myself to find out why this flight was delayed (AA6025 on April 10, 2021)? It was quite substantial and the gate agents were not able to provide any information other than the fact that the incoming aircraft had been delayed in RIC.
Only indication I could see on EF was delay due to maintenance on the incoming a/c AA6226:
PIEDMONT AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE RIC 1020A A1 ORD - T3 G8 1140A 3RIC/ETD1535 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE *12224RIC/OUT1527 OFF1541 *14427RIC/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *1505*CRCYMG2ORD/IN1636 *1637
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Only indication I could see on EF was delay due to maintenance on the incoming a/c AA6226:
Thank you! If this shows up on Expert Flyer, would the gate agent have some visibility to the reasons? I'm sure AA counsels them to be vague as far as disseminating certain information, but maybe they don't even have access to it either.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:01 am

plinth857, they most likely had access to that info, but being prudent to give it out.
plinth857 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Sitting on flight 74, HNL-ORD. Delayed over an hour so far due to mechanical issues. No refreshments!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.