Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 22, 10:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Wiki Link
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)
Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROP resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", e.g. UA, the correct AA term is "IROP" or IROPS.

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.

Look up your trip and see if you have the change trip button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 (THE EGGS) For those flying AA currently.

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The most-recently reported OSO number is:

800-THE-EGGS

(That's my mnemonic for remembering it, but that is the number to call when your AA flights get "scrambled.")
(Updated June 2019 thanks to guv1976 and verified by Uzzar)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the change trip button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language Phone Hours (CT)
 English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
 Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
 Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m.  7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing & 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. Im stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now Ill have to change flights.

A. If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 stickers AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.

Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 22, 22, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Does EC261 even apply for bad weather in regards to hotel at CLT or is it considered duty of care?
Old Aug 22, 22, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Does EC261 even apply for bad weather in regards to hotel at CLT or is it considered duty of care?
Hotel is considered duty of care. So if coming from the EU, even in bad weather, a hotel should still be provided.
Old Aug 23, 22, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Automated system is limited

We were booked on a flight home DCA-PHX that was scheduled to fly on Sunday evening. We had booked paid F. I received a text message at 4:43 am on Sunday that the flight had been canceled and that they were working on rebooking us. AA re-booked us on a flight DCA-ORD-PHX. In Y. I called AA, and they told me that the system automatically books you on the first available flight, regardless of class of service. I pushed back a bit, and told her we had purchased F for a reason, and expected to travel in it. She finally found us a routing in F, but on early Monday afternoon. As we were visiting friends and family and had a favorable hotel rate, an extra day in the DC area was not an unpleasant thought, so we agreed. DCA-JFK-PHX on Monday afternoon it would be.

After breakfast Monday morning, we checked out of our hotel and headed to DCA. We settled into the Admiral's Club. Soon, our flight was slightly delayed, but would still make it to JFK in time for us to make the flight to PHX. But by the time we made it downstairs, we got a big, red flashing message: our flight was now delayed by an hour, and we were going to misconnect on the flight from JFK to PHX. My husband, a veteran of a million flights in Europe where you arrive and something has gone wrong and the folks at the check-in counter greet you with your tickets (in the same class of service) for the flight you will be taking and, where appropriate, hotel and meal vouchers, suggested we go to the check-in counter to figure out what to do. I told him we needed to go right back up to the Admiral's Club and let the AAngels handle this.

The AAngel re-routed us through MSP, and we were on our way. We got to stay in F throughout, and we made it home last night (Monday). From what we heard, on both flights, as well as in MSP and at PHX, there were lots of misconnects, canceled flights, and people just not making it to their destinations. It's bad out there. Bad.
Old Sep 26, 22, 5:37 pm

Does CLT look like the hub to avoid on Saturday? The hurricane looks to be heading up that way(current estimates).
Old Sep 27, 22, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
Does CLT look like the hub to avoid on Saturday? The hurricane looks to be heading up that way(current estimates).
I don't think it will be as impacted as Florida but yes if you have a choice right now, I'd avoid ATL and CLT this weekend.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Not surprisingly, current hold times seem to be long.

I have some schedule changes I need to sort out, and was offered a call back in 90 minutes. I assume this is for an EXP, given my OWE status. I don't need to do this now, so I declined and will just try again in a few days once this storm is over.
Old Sep 29, 22, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I don't think it will be as impacted as Florida but yes if you have a choice right now, I'd avoid ATL and CLT this weekend.
For some reason, they still have yet to place a travel alert for CLT. It is in the path as of now, thinking they are going to wait to the last minute to issue one:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Sep 29, 22, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Given it's a popular Airport - I think they're avoiding announcing this one until last minute hoping people will reschedule / cancel their flights before they drop the waiver.
Old Sep 30, 22, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
CLT now up and included.
Attached Images  
funnyfarm299 likes this.

Search this Thread