Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
To add insult to injury, they gave me a room at the MIA airport hotel. To say that place is a dump is a severe understatement. Significant mold on bathroom floor, non working TV (that staff just shrugged their shoulders at and said yep, that sounds right). Came back to the terminal and not 1 AA employee will help anyone except the3 at the D37 rebooking center. That line is stretched back to D40 btw. All I wanted was a different hotel but by the time I get through that line, I'll be ready to hopefully board a morning flight.

I don't want to hear excuses about FAA stuff. That aircraft was on time today from BOS/PHL (actually early), then took at 1:16 delay for PHL/BOS, and then managed to turn that into a 1:44 delay for BOS/MIA. That is poor operations, plain and simple.

Had AA just been honest at check in and said they expected significant delays, I would have taken the flight to DFW in Y that was offered. However, when the delay is said to only be 20-30 minutes that left plenty of time for a connection. Additionally, we all know they will come back and offer an insanely low refund amount compared to the price of the trip in Y vs J when booking. And for the pilot to flat out say we were taking a direct route just before takeoff and then do exactly the opposite is a lie, call it what it is. Should have just been honest and set the right expectations.

In business, the issue is rarely the root cause of dissatisfaction. How a business handles it is the issue. AA has 100% dropped the ball here.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I don't want to hear excuses about FAA stuff. That aircraft was on time today from BOS/PHL (actually early), then took at 1:16 delay for PHL/BOS, and then managed to turn that into a 1:44 delay for BOS/MIA. That is poor operations, plain and simple.
Or probably - and do try to stick with me here, because I know it can be tough when the likely reality doesn't match your desired narrative - that could be deteriorating weather conditions and associated ground and/or airspace restrictions as the day went on.
wrp96 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Made it to MIA, rebooking line was easily 200+ deep. Luckily the line in the AC only had 5 or 6 people. Got a hotel voucher with only a little pushback. Now rebooked via DFW in the morning but in Y - on a paid F ticket for a platinum customer. This airline can suck it.
It was a weather delay and you got a hotel voucher, And, what did you expect them to do, kick off someone originally book in F on you replacement flight, just to make space for you? The weather or ATC controls are NOT the fault of the airline, and the same has happen to many of us on other carriers. The pilot planning to take a short cut doesn't mean he lied because he was not able to take the route he had planned. It is NOT entirely up to him
TWA884 and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
To add insult to injury, they gave me a room at the MIA airport hotel. To say that place is a dump is a severe understatement. Significant mold on bathroom floor, non working TV (that staff just shrugged their shoulders at and said yep, that sounds right). Came back to the terminal and not 1 AA employee will help anyone except the3 at the D37 rebooking center. That line is stretched back to D40 btw. All I wanted was a different hotel but by the time I get through that line, I'll be ready to hopefully board a morning flight.

Had AA just been honest at check in and said they expected significant delays, I would have taken the flight to DFW in Y that was offered. However, when the delay is said to only be 20-30 minutes that left plenty of time for a connection. Additionally, we all know they will come back and offer an insanely low refund amount compared to the price of the trip in Y vs J when booking. And for the pilot to flat out say we were taking a direct route just before takeoff and then do exactly the opposite is a lie, call it what it is. Should have just been honest and set the right expectations.

In business, the issue is rarely the root cause of dissatisfaction. How a business handles it is the issue. AA has 100% dropped the ball here.
So, you have access to all of the information and know why a 1:16 arrival delay turned into a 1:44 departure delay?
You should not even get A hotel for a weather delay. Maybe you should get insurance coverage for delays, and book your own hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I must admit I'm a bit baffled by this thread. The east coast was a mess yesterday with weather. It seems like this was handled quite well given the circumstances based on the facts stated in this thread.
wrp96, funnyfarm299 and Kawliga like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I too am baffled. You do realize that AA books through Expedia and whatever comes up comes up. The agent isn't going to take the time to read the reviews. If the hotel was such a dump the OP should have left and booked his own. I would never expect AA to comp me a hotel for weather delays.

Flights were a mess yesterday and today I fly and it isn't looking so good today.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
bchandler02 : I'm very sorry this happened to you. It sounds like a very frustrating situation.
Would you please update us when you make it home safely?
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:55 am

Slightly confused by the routing here. Am I correct that PHL-BOS-MIA-??? has now become PHL-BOS-MIA-DFW-??? ? I mean I don't blame you if it was cheaper or something, but seems bizarre to have had to go up to BOS.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA will probably use some crazy algorithm to refund his F-Y downgrade. If he bought the upgrade via TOD for say $150 he'll be lucky if he gets $4.57 back. Alternative math!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA platinum
I listened to DCA air traffic control around 3-4pm on the 25th. DCA closed for about an hour because of thunderstorms, meaning the airspace was empty and about 15 planes were stuck idling on the tarmac. Saw one AA flight inbound from Florida doing loop-de-loops near Richmond for an hour. OP drew an unlucky slot in the sequence, but when air traffic control says, "you're not taking off" or "stay out of our airspace" you're not going anywhere.

Obviously this is a different airport but it's an example of a situation where it's easy to blame AA, even though the delay had zero to do with any choice made by AA. As others have mentioned, the East coast was a mess yesterday. That's one slice of what it looked like.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anyone able to make sense of the reason for delay here? Usually pretty self explanatory but not this one

Did you have funds to book a hotel of your own choosing? It seems pretty clear that AA owed you nothing on this front. After all they don't control the weather.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by bse118
Or probably - and do try to stick with me here, because I know it can be tough when the likely reality doesn't match your desired narrative - that could be deteriorating weather conditions and associated ground and/or airspace restrictions as the day went on.
Originally Posted by mvoight
It was a weather delay and you got a hotel voucher, And, what did you expect them to do, kick off someone originally book in F on you replacement flight, just to make space for you? The weather or ATC controls are NOT the fault of the airline, and the same has happen to many of us on other carriers. The pilot planning to take a short cut doesn't mean he lied because he was not able to take the route he had planned. It is NOT entirely up to him
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, you have access to all of the information and know why a 1:16 arrival delay turned into a 1:44 departure delay?
You should not even get A hotel for a weather delay. Maybe you should get insurance coverage for delays, and book your own hotel.
Except that's the issue here - it does not say weather delay. If you look at the MIA/DFW flight I ended up on yesterday (which was clearly weather delay, ramp closed in MIA due to lightning), EF clearly states weather. The fact that this one does not and that AA coughed up a hotel without any pushback makes it all the more suspicious that it was something beyond weather.

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Slightly confused by the routing here. Am I correct that PHL-BOS-MIA-??? has now become PHL-BOS-MIA-DFW-??? ? I mean I don't blame you if it was cheaper or something, but seems bizarre to have had to go up to BOS.
The original trip (in paid F) was BOS/MIA/OKC. BOS/MIA became delayed, so MIA/OKC was missed by a few minutes (and then of course sat on the runway awaiting takeoff after I was in the MIA terminal... go figure). Then, nothing available to OKC without going MIA/DFW/AUS/OKC yesterday with MIA/DFW and DFW/AUS in Y (see below)

Originally Posted by enviroian
AA will probably use some crazy algorithm to refund his F-Y downgrade. If he bought the upgrade via TOD for say $150 he'll be lucky if he gets $4.57 back. Alternative math!
Correct. I'll be starting that process today but fully expecting some crazy low ball offer that I will have to fight.

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you have funds to book a hotel of your own choosing? It seems pretty clear that AA owed you nothing on this front. After all they don't control the weather.
Again, not clear that it was indeed weather. I haven't had time to go back and look at PHL around that time Monday to see if other flights were significantly delayed to justify this, or if it was an issue with this flight and AA is to blame. I do have sufficient funds to book a hotel if needed.

Once I got to the AC in DFW, the agent there (who was amazing) was able to quickly see that MIA screwed up the rebooking and basically had me on standby and an upgrade request vs someone who had paid F and was delayed. That's why I watched 4 people get upgraded in MIA while I sat in Y as #5 on the list - that first seat should have been mine according to her. However - and this is a big part of my complaint to AA - nobody in MIA had any interest in doing ANYTHING except telling me to go to D37 and stand in line for 3 hours. The agent that rebooked me via chat in the AA app wasn't the best - told me there was nothing available until I got on EF and started giving them specifics - and then come to find out booked me incorrectly as well. At one point, the entire trip disappeared from my AA app and didn't return for the rest of the trip. So, as I said earlier - a clear case of the issue not being the issue, the issue being how they handled it.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:10 am

I'm just wondering if I missed something last week.

I flew on a late-purchased web special award, DCA>>MSP, connection in LGA. The nonstop leaving an hour later from DCA to MSP was about 3 times the cost.

The evening before I received a push notification recommending changing my flight since thunderstorms were expected in NYC the following afternoon. I followed the prompts on my phone to rebook, hoping for a free change to the nonstop flight, but a message came up that web special fares cannot be changed by the customer.

When I arrived at DCA I went to the customer service counter and said there was this push notification to change my flight to avoid LGA, but I couldn't make the change myself. She looked up the flights but said as long as there are no delays, there is no way she could put me on the nonstop flight even though she said there was space.

Arrived at the new LGA Terminal B (nice) and as expected the thunderstorms arrived causing a 2 hour delay. We were treated fairly well and it was not a big deal, however I was bothered by their instance that the ramp was closed the whole 2 hours when I saw Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest taking off during the second hour that we waited.

I just wonder if there was an opportunity to get onto the nonstop flight that I missed through ignorance.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom_MN
I'm just wondering if I missed something last week.

I flew on a late-purchased web special award, DCA>>MSP, connection in LGA. The nonstop leaving an hour later from DCA to MSP was about 3 times the cost.

The evening before I received a push notification recommending changing my flight since thunderstorms were expected in NYC the following afternoon. I followed the prompts on my phone to rebook, hoping for a free change to the nonstop flight, but a message came up that web special fares cannot be changed by the customer.

When I arrived at DCA I went to the customer service counter and said there was this push notification to change my flight to avoid LGA, but I couldn't make the change myself. She looked up the flights but said as long as there are no delays, there is no way she could put me on the nonstop flight even though she said there was space.

Arrived at the new LGA Terminal B (nice) and as expected the thunderstorms arrived causing a 2 hour delay. We were treated fairly well and it was not a big deal, however I was bothered by their instance that the ramp was closed the whole 2 hours when I saw Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest taking off during the second hour that we waited.

I just wonder if there was an opportunity to get onto the nonstop flight that I missed through ignorance.
if you get a competent agent they would move you to the non stop (assuming there was space in your ticketed cabin). I find Twitter is usually the most helpful with least effort.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Nailed it! As expected, they refunded a stupid low amount of $91.50 for all of this. What a joke - even under the old 500 mile upgrade process the BOS/MIA upgrade price would have been $120. The way I see it, the difference in Y and F when booking was about $800 (This was a paid F ticket, no upgrade shenanigans involved). While the first part of the trip was completed without issue, the 2nd part was not (thanks specifically to AA's incompetence in rebooking me properly and upgrading others instead of displaced paid F customers, and the unwillingness of anyone in MIA to actually listen to the issue and address it) so the refund should be somewhere in the ballpark of $400.

This is going to be a fun one to fight with AA, and specifically why I asked about executive contact details on Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.