Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Unconfirmed report that a tornado just touched down near Terminal E at DFW
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Unconfirmed report that a tornado just touched down near Terminal E at DFW
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Pretty cool picture just before the storm
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:04 pm

Firstly hope everyone is safe!

Had two days of flights in a row IAH-DFW-YVR cancelled due to this weather.

Anyone know if it is possible to ask an agent to try to rebook me on Alaska when they call me back? They have flights available tomorrow otherwise need to wait until Wednesday.

Save me from having to pay yet another additional $150 for a 3rd antigen test + another night of hotel to get back to Canada lol.

EDIT: just spoke to agent and she couldn't rebook me on Alaska or United because of the storms. So another night here in Houston it is.

Last edited by Varus50; Mar 21, 2022 at 7:26 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Varus50
EDIT: just spoke to agent and she couldn't rebook me on Alaska or United because of the storms. So another night here in Houston it is.
Sorry. That is a typical answer that they won't rebook on other airlines when weather is involved . Sorry you keep getting delayed.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
If a flight was delayed due to ATC Emergency COVID Cleaning that closed the tower, and your connecting flight is missed, is AA responsible for overnight accommodations, or are passengers SOL? Any data points?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:51 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Should I bother asking for comp over a mechanical that resulted in a misconnect and a 2 hour delay? And sitting on an extremely hot a319 for an hour in Mexico before they decided to deplane to fix?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Should I bother asking for comp over a mechanical that resulted in a misconnect and a 2 hour delay? And sitting on an extremely hot a319 for an hour in Mexico before they decided to deplane to fix?
If you must. You really didn't lose to much in this case. I got chastised by one poster here because I was stuck for two whole days....
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:19 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Y’all please frame the question as “what’s the most I can get away with?” rather than “is it right to ask for it?”
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
If a flight was delayed due to ATC Emergency COVID Cleaning that closed the tower, and your connecting flight is missed, is AA responsible for overnight accommodations, or are passengers SOL? Any data points?
ATC issues are like weather issues, not the fault of the carrier, and AA would not be responsible for overnight lodging unless, maybe if this involved a trip to EU/UK on an EU/UK carrier, or from the US to the EU/UK on any carrier.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:07 am

Last weekend I was caught in weather in Florida. We were lucky to just have an overnight delay, rather than a cancelled flight. As expected with weather, AA didn't pay for the food or hotel, but when we landed, we all got apology emails and 10,000 miles automatically. Seems surprising they automatically gave compensation for weather.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’m currently on an AA ticketed itinerary which has a mixture of AA and BA flights.

AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-JFK-LHR-AMS (all in business and crediting to my BA account)

So far none of the 6 flights in the itinerary have gone to plan due to cancellations and rebookings due to missed connections.

For the first sector AMS-LHR on BA the original flight was cancelled and I was put onto the next flight but I was downgraded to economy.

As this is an AA ticket I assume I contact AA for a partial refund for being downgraded to economy?

Also, due to the cancellation there were no same day connections from LHR-JFK which would then connect me to LAX so I was put onto the direct LHR-LAX flight with BA. I lost out on BA Tier Points which I need for requalification. I will have to ask BA to reimburse due to IRROPS.

Next cancellation was the return LAX-JFK as the crew who would be operating the flight were delayed so the flight was rescheduled from 11:59pm to 11:00am the next day. This resulted in a new JFK-LHR flight. I should still have time to make the LHR-AMS connection.

As the LAX-JFK flight was cancelled about an 1.5 hours before departure there were no hotel choices nearby. AA’s system wanted to send me somewhere out of town and only up to $100 per room (hotels were full and those with rooms pricing out at over $300) and didn’t want to have to fight AA for reimbursement.

I decided to stay in the Flagship Lounge until it closed at 1am and then pass the time in the terminal until it reopened at 4:30am to then shower and have breakfast before the 11:00am flight to JFK.

I’m not sure if I would be due any compensation of either money or miles (would prefer Avios than AAmiles). I am assuming that as this is an AA ticket that I need to raise all this with AA and not BA?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I’m currently on an AA ticketed itinerary which has a mixture of AA and BA flights.

AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-JFK-LHR-AMS (all in business and crediting to my BA account)

So far none of the 6 flights in the itinerary have gone to plan due to cancellations and rebookings due to missed connections.

For the first sector AMS-LHR on BA the original flight was cancelled and I was put onto the next flight but I was downgraded to economy.

As this is an AA ticket I assume I contact AA for a partial refund for being downgraded to economy?

Also, due to the cancellation there were no same day connections from LHR-JFK which would then connect me to LAX so I was put onto the direct LHR-LAX flight with BA. I lost out on BA Tier Points which I need for requalification. I will have to ask BA to reimburse due to IRROPS.

Next cancellation was the return LAX-JFK as the crew who would be operating the flight were delayed so the flight was rescheduled from 11:59pm to 11:00am the next day. This resulted in a new JFK-LHR flight. I should still have time to make the LHR-AMS connection.

As the LAX-JFK flight was cancelled about an 1.5 hours before departure there were no hotel choices nearby. AA’s system wanted to send me somewhere out of town and only up to $100 per room (hotels were full and those with rooms pricing out at over $300) and didn’t want to have to fight AA for reimbursement.

I decided to stay in the Flagship Lounge until it closed at 1am and then pass the time in the terminal until it reopened at 4:30am to then shower and have breakfast before the 11:00am flight to JFK.

I’m not sure if I would be due any compensation of either money or miles (would prefer Avios than AAmiles). I am assuming that as this is an AA ticket that I need to raise all this with AA and not BA?
Any advice on the above?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Good Experience with AA During IRROPS Yesterday

After 2 years as a PPro I dropped down to AA Gold for this year. I was originally scheduled to fly IND-AUS-MCI yesterday but weather delayed the IND-AUS flight which would have caused me to misconnect in Austin. Luckily my upgrades for the IND-AUS-MCI flights cleared at T-24. When I got the rebooking options in the AA App I was pleasantly surprised to see there were a few options that would confirm me in F instead of Y(my purchased class of service). I rebooked IND-PHL-MCI in F and got home only 3 hours later than scheduled. I've been very critical of AA and their handling of IRROPS but yesterday was a pleasant surprise. The GA's and crews were stellar. Kudos to AA!
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I've had good luck with the in-app options preserving upgrades when IROPS occurs lately. It's probably been that way for at least a year or so I'd say.
MCI777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.