Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CPAP, POC oxygen concentrator portable medical devices on AA

Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and policy regarding CPAP, POC *
*(continuous positive airway pressure machines, portable oxygen concentrators)

Mobility and medical deviceslink to aa.com page

Traveling with mobility and medical devices

If youre traveling with any medical device, a wheelchair or other mobility device were here to help we offer pre-boarding, deplaning and airport assistance.

For battery operated mobility devices, contact Special Assistance to make sure the battery type is approved for travel and for any other special assistance travel requests.

Contact Special Assistance (link)

If youre connecting to another airline or traveling on a codeshare flight, contact the operating carrier or other airline for their rules on traveling with mobility and medical devices.

Carry-on devices

Mobility and medical devices dont count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesnt fit in the cabin or if it isnt required during the flight, it may need to be checked. These include:

Canes, walkers, continuous positive airway pressure machines (CPAP) and other assistive devices that can be collapsed to fit into overhead and under-seat storage

Items used for comfort such as seat cushions, arm or footrests...

...Oxygen (Portable Oxygen Concentrators)

Requirements for traveling with a portable oxygen concentrator

Before you board, check in at the gate so an agent can:
  • Test that you can operate the POC and respond to its alarm
  • Explain the phases of the flight when the POC will be operable
  • Check your supply of fully charged batteries to power the POC no less than 150% for the duration of the flight and ground connection time (including unanticipated delays)

*see aa.com page linked to above for POC requirements and prohibitions

Onboard power for medical devices

We recommend you bring any necessary, fully-charged batteries to power your medical devices throughout your flight. Dont depend on the availability of a power outlet to support your device.

If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
The use of onboard power might require a DC power adaptor.

Onboard power (link)

Print Wikipost

CPAP, POC oxygen concentrator portable medical devices on AA

Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:50 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
If you require onboard CPAP, the only way you may be assured that it will be available is to provide a battery source (which is itself compliant with AA's requirements).
I actually had a problem a couple of years ago with American in Madrid. They almost would not let me board with my CPAP because I had a battery, which AA had told me to get in order to use the machine onboard when I had called for authorization before my trip. Then, they kept asking me, "does it produce oxygen?" I told them that it did not, but only blew air. It took a total of an hour and a half at checkin before they finally gave me my boarding pass and allowed me to board.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I haven't had any issues using my CPAP on AA, BR, DL, OZ, JL, KE or UA. All I've had to do is tell the Lead or the Purser I'm going to use it and a couple of times they've checked my machine for the aircraft approved markings on the name plate. Usually they don't even do that and I've been told that it isn't really a issue for them as long as the hose or cord doesn't block aisle access. Not usually and issue since I'm almost always in either J or PE window so no issue with sticking the machine itself out of the way. If I'm in cattle upstairs on an A380 I just put the machine either in the storage bin or on top of it.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Hoc
Then, they kept asking me, "does it produce oxygen?" I told them that it did not, but only blew air. It took a total of an hour and a half at checkin before they finally gave me my boarding pass and allowed me to board.
They must have been confused. Oxygen concentrators require a physician's signature.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
Note that AA will not guarantee that the at-seat power will actually work on any particular seat on any particular flight.

Since it is not an air-safety issue, availability of at-seat power is only a best effort thing.
JDiver and zpaul like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Updated information and links are provided in the Wikipost at the top of the page. The thread has been refitted, the scope broadened to include AA policy regarding CPAP and POC devices.

Old May 2, 2019, 4:15 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA884
They must have been confused. Oxygen concentrators require a physician's signature.
They were clearly confused. And very annoying. Luckily, we had arrived three hours before the flight, so the hour and a half spent at the check-in desk did not cause us to miss the flight.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:15 pm

CPAP use

hello
I hope someone can help I'm trying to find out if I can use my CPAP machine on board .
I read only with batteries, but somewhere else said I could use onboard power so I'm confused .
also said about 48 hours notice .
Does anyone know what the rules are ?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:20 am

Unfortunately the rules change every few years, which is why you are seeing conflicting information. The AA.com website isn't too helpful either at the moment. Last I knew the "official" policy was battery powered devices only, but the website says nothing that I can see at the moment. Best to contact AA Special Services and ask.

That being said, I've never had any trouble using my CPAP on board an AA flight without a battery. I always call Special Services before departure to advise them I'll be using it, and they always warn me not to depend on the availability of at-seat power and not to use the CPAP during take-off or landing.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by DFW DL
Unfortunately the rules change every few years, which is why you are seeing conflicting information. The AA.com website isn't too helpful either at the moment. Last I knew the "official" policy was battery powered devices only, but the website says nothing that I can see at the moment. Best to contact AA Special Services and ask.

That being said, I've never had any trouble using my CPAP on board an AA flight without a battery. I always call Special Services before departure to advise them I'll be using it, and they always warn me not to depend on the availability of at-seat power and not to use the CPAP during take-off or landing.
I use my portable CPAP in international J at least twice a month often 3-4x, always on in-seat power. I don't carry a battery and I accept the risk that if in-seat power isn't working then no CPAP for me on that flight. But, knock on wood, that's never happened. I don't unpack my CPAP until in the air and put it away before landing. I'm sure there's plenty of times I've forgotten to notify AA ahead of time and I've never been challenged about using it (knock on wood).
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Julian36
hello
I hope someone can help I'm trying to find out if I can use my CPAP machine on board .
I read only with batteries, but somewhere else said I could use onboard power so I'm confused .
also said about 48 hours notice .
Does anyone know what the rules are ?
The Wikipost at the top of the page has links to AA policy and power information.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Am I reading this correctly that having a medical device like a CPAP allows for one to preboard?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Am I reading this correctly that having a medical device like a CPAP allows for one to preboard?
If you require boarding assistance or extra time to board, yes. Is it an automatic preboard? No.
BlatheringPenguin and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's updated policy is very clear. Batteries are recommended, but not required and you may need a DC adaptor depending on the aircraft. The key here is a decision you must make. Passenger power outlets do not always function and may not supply sufficient power. If that is the case and you do not have batteries, will you suffer any health consequences beyond a lousy night's sleep? If yes, then do not take the risk. If no, then it's purely a risk vs. cost of battery issue.

We recommend you bring any necessary, fully-charged batteries to power your medical devices throughout your flight. Don’t depend on the availability of a power outlet to support your device.
  • If available, power outlets may be used for medical devices
  • The use of onboard power might require a DC power adaptor
JDiver and BlatheringPenguin like this.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 11, 2020 at 3:42 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:10 pm

Thanks for your help.

Julian
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.