Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hirsch Class Action Lawsuit: money may be due from paying taxes for "free" AA miles

Hirsch Class Action Lawsuit: money may be due from paying taxes for "free" AA miles

Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:12 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I received a card this week from the Hirsch Airline Miles Settlement. A lawsuit was filed several years ago, stating that Citi said miles were free for opening credit cards/bank accounts and then 1099 forms were received. This has now been settled against Citi. If you received a card, you need to use the claimant ID number on it to participate in the settlement. You will find the link on this page. You must fill out the form by Nov 27 2017.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
(From the website FAQ) “Settlement Class Members who affirm that they reported and paid taxes on the income attributable to the receipt of the AA miles set forth in his or her AA Miles Form 1099 will be eligible to receive a settlement award calculated by multiplying up to 70% of the reported income by the Settlement Class Member’s applicable federal tax rate, subject to adjustment based on the amount of claims submitted. For example, if a Settlement Class Member’s federal tax rate was 35% and the amount of income attributable to receipt of AA Miles on his/her AA Miles Form 1099 was $1,000, his/her Settlement Award would be up to $245. Settlement Class Members who do not affirm that they reported and paid taxes on the income attributable to the receipt of the AA miles will be eligible to receive a settlement award of up to $40.”
I just filed a claim online. I affirmed that I reported and paid taxes. The claim submission did not require a copy of my 1099. Does anyone know how the amount of someone’s 1099 is determined? Many people will no longer have copies. Is it part of the settlement for Citibank to provide that information?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I just filed a claim online. I affirmed that I reported and paid taxes. The claim submission did not require a copy of my 1099. Does anyone know how the amount of someone’s 1099 is determined? Many people will no longer have copies. Is it part of the settlement for Citibank to provide that information?
The amount should be on your tax return. You should be able to get copies from the company who did your return, or copies of the returns or transcripts from the IRS

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2018 at 11:30 am Reason: Close quote
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA
I have not gone online, but have requested an application via mail. My question is how is Citi going to know your tax rate? Will I have to provide Citi with a copy of my tax form or permission to seek a transcript? Additionally, I have an amount on line 21 that includes K-1 income. Will they need a copy of my K-1 as well? After the Equifax mess up, not keen on providing Citi with a 1040 copy or IRS transcript. And lastly, I still got stiffed by Illinois for 5%, why wasn't that included?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codybear
I have not gone online, but have requested an application via mail. My question is how is Citi going to know your tax rate? Will I have to provide Citi with a copy of my tax form or permission to seek a transcript? Additionally, I have an amount on line 21 that includes K-1 income. Will they need a copy of my K-1 as well? After the Equifax mess up, not keen on providing Citi with a 1040 copy or IRS transcript.
I'd be very surprised if we were required to provide documentation. The law firm would eat up a lot of money auditing. I didn't pull my tax returns, but did try to be honest as to what I remembered my tax rate to be at that time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found the tiny postcard and filed a claim too. Will see what happens. I remember getting a 1099 and included in my taxes, but don't remember much else.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
From the Hirsch Airline Miles Settlement website :

“The Court will hold a hearing on January 31, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. (or at such other date and time later set by Court Order) to decide whether finally to approve the Settlement.”

Any further information?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I was curious myself. Why no updates in the last half year? Not even a scheduled date for final judegment
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was part of a CLASS ACTION suit against Microsoft (and probably millions of others)--I got lots of progress reports and 5+ years later I received a check for < $4.00 [vague recollection]. In some instances re CAS the lawyers get more than the litigants.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by nrr
. In some instances re CAS the lawyers get more than the litigants.
Some?
seawolf, SUPERTRAVEL and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I got over $600 in a Washingon Mutual once, which is the most for one I wasn't the representative plaintiff in.
The most ever in a class action was about $17500 from the settlement formula and $15K for being the representative plaintiff
Over 700 Cisco support engineers were eligible for an average of $15K each in Voight vs Cisco. (A California employment class action)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I both received checks today.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband and I both received checks today.
How much was it for? I never got anything

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.